Bedroom and Noise

Bedroom and Noise

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 06:46 PM

Close the door ?

Old 12-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Gold member

I have to agree. Less of a problem with the 3 bedrooms on the
other side with the sliding door.

My Husband swears he cannot hear the t.v. but I hear it
and it bothers me.

Luckily he usually goes in before me.
And when he goes in the t.v. goes off and I read.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:44 PM
Gold member

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio

I use a sound machine and have been using them for 30 years or more. They are sold at JC Penney and only makes one sound, the wind. It is relaxing as well as drowns out all noises except loud bangs and the garbage truck. My kids use them and some of my grandkids use them also. I would not know if we were burglarized while sleeping.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Gold member

Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

We have a pocket door at the entrance of the 2 front bedrooms. The problem is the main bedroom opens right into the living room with a double, hollow door.

Same issue with us! Our house in Ohio had the bedroom separated from the living/TV room and thus was quiet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We have a set of headphones that we use if one of us goes to bed early and the other stays up to watch TV. Since there are only two of us that handles our only noise issue.
We use one as it does eliminate the TV sound but no help with other sounds
Old 12-05-2017, 12:53 AM
Veteran member

Years ago when we had a house built we knew there would be a problem with noise from the TV/entertainment center, that backed up to our bedroom wall.
We added insulation to that common wall and it worked, however, in TV you won't find any additional kind of noise barrier unless you paid extra for it pre-construction.

Even more annoying that that, if you are in a guest bedroom, you can hear the toilet flush from the master bath! Ugh.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:06 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Years ago when we had a house built we knew there would be a problem with noise from the TV/entertainment center, that backed up to our bedroom wall.
We added insulation to that common wall and it worked, however, in TV you won't find any additional kind of noise barrier unless you paid extra for it pre-construction.

Even more annoying that that, if you are in a guest bedroom, you can hear the toilet flush from the master bath! Ugh.
We have the original Kohler toilets the builder installed in our home. The toilets are so quiet (and our hearing is still very good), neither one of us can hear the toilet flush if we are in a neighboring room. The rooms bordering our master bath toilet are the laundry room and the garage. The guest room is on the other side of the house.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:04 AM
Sage

I often wondered if a floor plan such as a Gardenia, for example, would be best for the various issues that are being discussed here. Guest wing on the opposite side behind pocket door, and master suite somewhat bufffered by the dining room area being situated between the master bedroom and living room. Also the master bedroom has the extra little hallway so it doesn't open up directly into living area.

Anyone have a Gardenia that could verify that?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I went to an open house for a $1.6 million new house in Pine Hills. The master bedroom windows were within 12 feet of the pool equipment next door, and I could hear the humming noise with the windows closed. Be careful what you buy.
Noise
Old 12-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Gold member

Default Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
I often wondered if a floor plan such as a Gardenia, for example, would be best for the various issues that are being discussed here. Guest wing on the opposite side behind pocket door, and master suite somewhat bufffered by the dining room area being situated between the master bedroom and living room. Also the master bedroom has the extra little hallway so it doesn't open up directly into living area.

I have a Gardenia and you do not hear the TV from the living area. The dining area does buffer the noise.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post

I also have a Gardenia. If the bedroom door is closed, I hear almost nothing when DH gets up early for golf.

The peeps across the street have their home on the market. They want a Begonia or Gardenia ~ Don't want a house with the bedroom in front, which they currently have.

For the OP, I'd suggest what others have mentioned: replacing the hollow-core door with a solid core door. Adding rugs if possible. Hanging a tapestry or fabric pictures to stop the sound from bouncing around. Soft surfaces to stop the sound from bouncing around.

We added pleated shades on our patio doors. Imagine a pleated shade turned sideways, so you draw both sides to the center. It helped a lot.
Closed Thread

Tags
bedroom, area, living, hard, early