Been living here 8+ years and now a turd....

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-20-2021, 02:40 PM
Mortal1 Mortal1 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 644
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,567 Times in 310 Posts
Default Been living here 8+ years and now a turd....

moves in across the street with his Harley hog and no mufflers. I truly despise those who have zero consideration for others.

And NO I'm not jealous of these pretend cowboys of the road. Any reasonable person knows that anything that creates undue noise to satisfy someones ego is a person who could care less about others.

You claim the loud mufflers are a safety issue? Nah...jest get a bloody louder horn!!!

Yeh. Inconsiderate people **** me off.
  #2  
Old 11-20-2021, 02:55 PM
Bjeanj Bjeanj is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,842
Thanks: 108
Thanked 1,167 Times in 428 Posts
Default

It’s annoying to have to deal with that problem.

Noise complaints are handled by the Sheriff's Office. If you live in Sumter County, visit their website at Welcome to Sumter County, FL.
__________________
Teach your daughter how to shoot, because a restraining order is just a piece of paper.
  #3  
Old 11-20-2021, 02:58 PM
Velvet's Avatar
Velvet Velvet is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 3,450
Thanks: 779
Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default

The rider may be trying to impress people, but is now in a different age category and hasn’t realized it yet. So assuming that he/she is older I’d start with the assumption that they like people and invite them over to a driveway welcome home event. You set the bar.
No comment on their pipes. Just welcome. Let’s see how they react. If they are receptive, with time you mention how noise is considered unwelcome, like lawn mowers gas engines etc. Let them get the hint. See how they react. It takes time to change behavior.

If it’s not worth your while, there are noise ordinances. I’m sure your other neighbors will join you in your complaint. If the person is a general ass, it’s not worth fighting, life is too short for such a neighbor, might consider a move.
  #4  
Old 11-20-2021, 02:59 PM
davem4616 davem4616 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,072
Thanks: 445
Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,062 Posts
Default

you know what they say about guys with loud mufflers...they're compensating for something
  #5  
Old 11-20-2021, 03:21 PM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 3,346
Thanks: 4
Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,014 Posts
Default

I actually like the sound of Harley's and Muscle Cars. I wouldn't want them running up an down the street but to hear it just when they are leaving their home and coming back wouldn't be to much to handle. I would much rather have that on the street than a dog that constantly barks.
  #6  
Old 11-20-2021, 03:33 PM
Shbullet Shbullet is online now
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 131
Thanks: 1
Thanked 147 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I actually like the sound of Harley's and Muscle Cars. I wouldn't want them running up an down the street but to hear it just when they are leaving their home and coming back wouldn't be to much to handle. I would much rather have that on the street than a dog that constantly barks.
I agree completely
  #7  
Old 11-20-2021, 04:29 PM
fdpaq0580 fdpaq0580 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 579
Thanks: 322
Thanked 688 Times in 268 Posts
Default Agree, partly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I actually like the sound of Harley's and Muscle Cars. I wouldn't want them running up an down the street but to hear it just when they are leaving their home and coming back wouldn't be to much to handle. I would much rather have that on the street than a dog that constantly barks.
When they are just cruising, sounds ok. When they crank it up in the morning and rev it up to warm it up at daybreak, shattering the sleep of others and the peace and tranquility of the neighborhood, then it is just inconsiderate BS. "I'm up, so everyone else needs to know, the King has risen and to hell with the rest of you peasants."
Barking dogs are also annoying. Just when your feeling romantic and the (insert expletive here.) dog next door won't shut up.
  #8  
Old 11-20-2021, 04:34 PM
Retiring's Avatar
Retiring Retiring is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 565
Thanks: 0
Thanked 60 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
moves in across the street with his Harley hog and no mufflers. I truly despise those who have zero consideration for others.

And NO I'm not jealous of these pretend cowboys of the road. Any reasonable person knows that anything that creates undue noise to satisfy someones ego is a person who could care less about others.

You claim the loud mufflers are a safety issue? Nah...jest get a bloody louder horn!!!

Yeh. Inconsiderate people **** me off.
I feel your pain. As someone that has rode HD, personally I don’t care for the bike. The vibration is fatiguing, feels like you’re in a paint shaker. I prefer to ride what is referred to as a “gentleman’s bike,” a bike that is super smooth and quiet. The kind of bike you can ride for two hours and not be exhausted. I had a bike for several years, the last one Honda PC800. I don’t see a motorcycle in my future, I’ll stick with planes.

I don’t see your complaints going anywhere. The neighbor will not sell his bike or house. Several years ago, I had a neighbor with a constantly barking dog. I told him the barking was a bit much. He said, dogs bark – get over it. I feel you might get the same type response from your neighbor. And I’m not the type to get law enforcement involved, that just escalates the situation.

About 30 yrs ago I helped a co-worker move after his divorce. He went from a single-family house to a townhouse (shared walls). He put together his large drum kit against a shared wall. At midnight he decided to play his drums and he did at full effort. I told him to stop since he has just awakened the people on the other side of the wall along with the rest of the block. He said, “I don’t give a s..t.” Sometimes people suck.

As much as we don’t wish it true, I think it is – when it comes to the consideration of others, some people just don’t care.
  #9  
Old 11-20-2021, 04:40 PM
MDLNB MDLNB is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TV
Posts: 18,163
Thanks: 2,607
Thanked 918 Times in 347 Posts
Default

From day break to 10pm (I think that is what it said in the deed restrictions) noise is permitted. I bet the same person complaining about the motorcycle on his/her street is the same type that will complain about the landscapers lawnmowers making too much noise. Hey, get up and live what little life you have left. Enjoy the strong sound of powerful machines. Harley bikes have a unique sound of their own. It's interesting to be able to pick a Harley sound out of other motorcycle sounds. Kind of like being able to tell the difference between an M-16 and an AK-47 at night in combat. Some of us can even tell the difference between a Triumph and a rice burner motorcycle sound. Not much of a talent, but I take my super powers seriously.......
  #10  
Old 11-20-2021, 04:48 PM
fdpaq0580 fdpaq0580 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 579
Thanks: 322
Thanked 688 Times in 268 Posts
Default Thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
moves in across the street with his Harley hog and no mufflers. I truly despise those who have zero consideration for others.

And NO I'm not jealous of these pretend cowboys of the road. Any reasonable person knows that anything that creates undue noise to satisfy someones ego is a person who could care less about others.

You claim the loud mufflers are a safety issue? Nah...jest get a bloody louder horn!!!

Yeh. Inconsiderate people **** me off.
Do the rest of the neighbors feel like you? Then get together and buy him a set of mufflers and a gift card from the local Harley shop to have them installed, no substitutions, as a "Welcome to the neighborhood" gift. That would send the message, but in a nice (kind of passive, aggressive) way.
  #11  
Old 11-20-2021, 04:50 PM
Speedie Speedie is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Great opportunity to reach out and find a new friend.
  #12  
Old 11-20-2021, 06:31 PM
Number 10 GI Number 10 GI is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,141
Thanks: 3,345
Thanked 2,337 Times in 635 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
From day break to 10pm (I think that is what it said in the deed restrictions) noise is permitted. I bet the same person complaining about the motorcycle on his/her street is the same type that will complain about the landscapers lawnmowers making too much noise. Hey, get up and live what little life you have left. Enjoy the strong sound of powerful machines. Harley bikes have a unique sound of their own. It's interesting to be able to pick a Harley sound out of other motorcycle sounds. Kind of like being able to tell the difference between an M-16 and an AK-47 at night in combat. Some of us can even tell the difference between a Triumph and a rice burner motorcycle sound. Not much of a talent, but I take my super powers seriously.......
There is a guy in our neighborhood that owns a Harley and it is a bit loud but he doesn't get on the throttle when leaving his house. Yeah, I can still hear it inside the house but he is gone in less than 10 seconds so the noise is very short lived. I've owned a couple bikes over the years, an obnoxiously loud Norton 750 Commando and a Suzuki 1500 which had a very mellow sound. I have known guys that wear earplugs because their exhaust is so loud. Not for me, I want to be able to hear the screeching tires of the car that is about to run into me.

I really loved that Norton. I would ride it all week to work and would have to spend the weekend tightening up bolts and screws, adjusting the ignition timing and carburetors. Definitely a love hate relationship with English bikes.
  #13  
Old 11-20-2021, 06:45 PM
fdpaq0580 fdpaq0580 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 579
Thanks: 322
Thanked 688 Times in 268 Posts
Default Bsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
There is a guy in our neighborhood that owns a Harley and it is a bit loud but he doesn't get on the throttle when leaving his house. Yeah, I can still hear it inside the house but he is gone in less than 10 seconds so the noise is very short lived. I've owned a couple bikes over the years, an obnoxiously loud Norton 750 Commando and a Suzuki 1500 which had a very mellow sound. I have known guys that wear earplugs because their exhaust is so loud. Not for me, I want to be able to hear the screeching tires of the car that is about to run into me.

I really loved that Norton. I would ride it all week to work and would have to spend the weekend tightening up bolts and screws, adjusting the ignition timing and carburetors. Definitely a love hate relationship with English bikes.
Late 60's had a BSA that I loved ...... And hated.
  #14  
Old 11-20-2021, 07:40 PM
DeanFL DeanFL is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,807
Thanks: 340
Thanked 2,503 Times in 604 Posts
Default

.
.
Recommend going to a bike store and get him one of these for his pride&joy. Maybe he'll get the hint that's he's acting like an adolescent. Actually I would check with all the surrounding neighbors for their views on the issue, and if in agreement - cal the authorities. I would be LIVID if he was a new neighbor here... grrrr.
.
.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	download (45).jpeg
Views:	3477
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	91588  
  #15  
Old 11-20-2021, 07:52 PM
Michael G.'s Avatar
Michael G. Michael G. is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 332
Thanks: 0
Thanked 330 Times in 131 Posts
Default

If this is a 55+ community, wouldn't you think by now they would have got that out of their system?

I started a post about noisy cycles/ loud cars here some time ago and got the same stupid comments that I'm reading here on the subject.

You don't realize we have water pollution, air pollution, and YES noise pollution and apparently noise pollution is ok.

BTW......I heard: "The noisier the bike, the smaller their manly hood."
Reply

Tags
person, mufflers, care, someones, ego

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.