Being discouraged to be moving to the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Platinum member

Great comment, Castle Guy. You hit the nail on the headbone.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:20 PM

I also have younger people who wish they can move to Florida. No money to be made in Florida for them. I feel sorry for them, because it can be expensive to live in New York. I am glad I am reaching my retirement years. The Villages makes me want to retire as soon as I am able to and come and live a life, not to die. Hopefully, it will not be as expensive as it is here in good old Long Island, NY. Do not get me wrong, Long Island is a beautiful place to vist, but to live here you need a big bank account.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Default Florida is too hot

Dear god, I have heard that comment so many times that if i had a dime for everytime someone told me that I could be retired. I actually am an odd duck in that I like hot, humid and sticky weather. Is mid-day too warm or oppressive at times? Yes, but then you are in air conditioning for part of the day and the mornings and evenings are glorious.

I live in Michigan on the outskirts of Detroit. Gee, how many times has Detroit been pegged the Murder Capital over the years? No crime in Detroit. Seven months of the year I have to live in a heat control environment. Of the two, air conditioning or heat, I would rather it be air conditioning.

I am thankful that a lot people don't think the Villages is for them. Hopefully there will be room for me one day.

Gail in Detroit (staring at 9 1/2 inches of fresh snow. Wanna trade? WAIT!!! And it is predicted that we are getting another 1 to 3 inches tonight! Woohoo!)
Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 PM

I can't even get my mother-in-law who live in Massapequa to vist. Too many bugs, too hot, nothing to do! Ha! So I feel your pain TomCat!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Sage

When hubby mentioned living in TV, I was the one that said, "I don't want to be living with all those old folks!" Ah, little did I know. A visit to the compound when in FL visiting our kids was all it took. I was the one that said, "I want to live here." We've owned our home almost 5 years now, lived here over 4.

Well, there can be bugs, don't forget about love bug season.....

We didn't get much resistance from friends, most of them had started their moves out of CA. Some east coast friends wondered why in the heck we picked Florida, and a retirement community to boot, but it's not really a retirement community, it's an place of opportunity, so much to do or relax, whatever you decide. There really is no convincing people unless they've visited. My sister owns a shop in MA and some of her customers are seasonal residents of TV. One day she and one of those customers were in the grocery store and sis was behind her part time Villager. The clerk was commenting on TV, saying it's just a retirement village, and of course our snowbird said "Nay, nay." The clerk said she had to be making this stuff up and my sister joined in the conversation. She had visited with us here not long before. "It's just as she says, it's wonderful, it's absolutely beautiful and it's nothing you could ever imagine." Thanks, Sis! All it takes is one little visit....
Old 02-21-2011, 02:25 PM

We had our son and daughter in law visit us during our weeks stay in TV.
That is all it took for them to understand our decision. Originally they wanted us to move near them. No more discussions just complete approval.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM

When my husband and I were thinking of purchasing in TV (moving from Naples, FL) my sister kept saying "everyone is so old." Why would you want to live there. She is from Naples, FL too. Over Christmas, I had the family Christmas at TV that included my 2 college age kids, her 2 college age kids and herself. Every person that was older, she had to point out how old they were and how could we possibly enjoy TV. Finally, my son said to my sister.."You are just jealous that mom is having so much fun." 'If I could move here I would!" Well, you know what they say "out of the mouth of babes." Even though he really isn't a baby anymore, he is still my babe!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

To quote the late, great Frank Sinatra in the song "That's Life Some people get their kicks stompin on my dreams
Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
I also have younger people who wish they can move to Florida. No money to be made in Florida for them. I feel sorry for them, because it can be expensive to live in New York. I am glad I am reaching my retirement years. The Villages makes me want to retire as soon as I am able to and come and live a life, not to die. Hopefully, it will not be as expensive as it is here in good old Long Island, NY. Do not get me wrong, Long Island is a beautiful place to vist, but to live here you need a big bank account.
TomCat

I just moved here in Oct. from Long Island (New Hyde Park) --We said we would never move to Florida !!! Visited here and that changed everything

We closed here on Oct 27 --I retired Nov 1----

We find Taxes, Utilities, clothing and restaurents cheaer here --

Supermarket prices are about the same --some items are higher

The pace of things is much slower --its great !!

As others have stated all those negative comments from people go away once they visit --

And did I mention ---I gave my snow blower away to my son in Brooklyn !!

Good Luck
Old 02-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

We know people that live near TV but had never been to TV. They told us that everyone was snobs and that people outside of TV make fun of all the people who live in TV. We have come to the conclusion it is jealousy. How can you make a comment on a place you have never been?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,500 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
We know people that live near TV but had never been to TV. They told us that everyone was snobs and that people outside of TV make fun of all the people who live in TV. We have come to the conclusion it is jealousy. How can you make a comment on a place you have never been?
Now...that is mean spirited. If you tell me where they live me and the girls will call on them....
Old 02-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Has anyone every been discouraged about moving to the Villages when they were thinking about moving there. I have seen that with me. There is one person, in particular, who is constantly doing that. He will say something negative about Florida or the Villages. Is it just jealousy or what. Why don't people just mind their business. I would not say anything to anyone if they would like to move somewhere that I would not want to move. As the saying goes, "To each his own."
Some people are negative and generally criticize what they don't understand.

I recently tried to explain TV to my dentist and stopped in mid-sentence and said, "you just have to see it to believe it, their aren't enough words to expain how beautiful it is".

Close friend of mine said, "how can you live in Florida when the summers are so hot". I replied, "what's the diffrence in that you have to stay in air-conditioning for a couple of months or stay inside in the winter in New York because it's too cold.

Like the Beatles song, "Let it be".
Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Default What a hoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Now...that is mean spirited. If you tell me where they live me and the girls will call on them....
GG - you are too much!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Veteran member

Everytime I tell somebody we have purchased a home and are moving to the villages I get " oh really? I have a "friend, relative, friend of a friend, friend of a relative, some guy I know parents, neighbor's neighbors and so forth and so on" that LOVE it there. Talk abut being a "known" place! Now how do I fit all my "new found" friends, who just found out WE will be FROGS, into our bungalow?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Veteran member

Another thought.... Anybody remeber the movie Cucoon (sp)? They really painted a Florida retirement community oddly but maybe in that day correctly?

Everybody is right "you gotta see it to believe it" and here we were so close to living in Lake Weird...LOL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.