Being discouraged to be moving to the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Veteran member
Default Discouraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I don't know how active this thread is now but for what its worth I wish I had rented here first before buying. This is a very different place
The thread is active, this is my favorite topic, tell us what discourages you, from a wanabee...
too much golf? Not enough friends, too many friends, you had a bad experince in a restaurant? You must like TOTV!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I don't know how active this thread is now but for what its worth I wish I had rented here first before buying. This is a very different place
and for what's it's worth, I for one would like to know what you meant by your comment??

Lee and Richard in Tampa, for now.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Rubicon!

Are you unhappy?

I hope not
Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

a lot of people bad mouth TV, and they mostly don't live here.
A sales rep from another development, when I asked him about TV,
said - you either love it or hate it. some hate it.

visit and make your own judgment calls.

if you want really quiet, peaceful and low key, another place might be better for value. but here it's safe, clean, affordable, and geared towards us.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Sage

Hi Rubicon,
Here's another inquiring mind who wants to know. I do sincerely hope you are not unhappy here.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
You are kidding , right???
I've been here eight years and have met only one person with a complaint .........He wishes he had more room in the garage and less in the kitchen , They never use the kitchen......and she wants her own car as she's on the go all the time and so is he.... some people are never happy..

fumar..
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Default Rubicon's post

Rubicon's post from a few days ago might answer some of the questions to this more recent post.

Quote:
Quote:
What you lose in January you gain in June. So goes the logic if your decision on where to live is based on weather. Most of us acclimate quickly. Ilooked here in 2004 and was concerned about the government model. I looked again in 2006 and reluctantly moved down from Minnesota. To this day I prefer Minnesota to The Villages but having made those financial adjustments and since there remains a bad housing market I dare not move.

There are many things to like about TV and its residents are at the top of the list. It is true that we have pretty much a homogeneous group but that can be a good thing. This is a healthy lifestyle but one which could be replicated eleswhere. Ownership and tavel by cart kicks as much as it cuts. But the biggest drawback to me is till the government model but I will adjust.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Yes, I do know about the heat of Florida. How many people do not know that? No, I did not realized that Orlando, Florida, has one of the greatest crime rates in the nations. Maybe Mickey Mouse is having money problems and is mugging people. I would say back, LOL. These are just a few comments that I do hear.

I live in Long Island, NY. I am not too far from crime infested neighborhoods here either. Everywhere there is going to be an area that is not too good. The Villages seems like a safe place to live. I have visited there at least two times and will be coming down again.
Luckily most of the crime is W of I-4 ie Pine Hills, Parramore etc.
Think Detroit.
Unfortunately it gets reported as Orlando which is actually nice and one of the cleanest areas in the country.
Its kinda like saying the Villages is all old people.
One size doesn't fit all.
I did have my memory stolen once.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Has anyone every been discouraged about moving to the Villages when they were thinking about moving there. I have seen that with me. There is one person, in particular, who is constantly doing that. He will say something negative about Florida or the Villages. Is it just jealousy or what. Why don't people just mind their business. I would not say anything to anyone if they would like to move somewhere that I would not want to move. As the saying goes, "To each his own."
Make sure you understand exactly what you are buyinginto, dot the i's and crss the t's Nothing is Perfect
Old 03-30-2011, 03:54 PM

I have noticed in my short time in TV that the unhappy people fall into two groups but yet share one common trait. There are those that feel that TV is not strict enough and want a rigid type of community with nothing allowed that they do not like. The other kind are those that value their right to do as they please. What they both have in common is that they are ego centric and are not well suited to any type of living arrangement where likes and dislikes of the group are catered to rather than the individual.

This is not the place for the rugged individual or intolerant of things not to their liking. It is not like TV hides the fact that you are buying into a lifestyle. Just listen to their ads. They are very upfront about it and even call their visits a lifestyle visit. Don't buy a horse and then complain that you can't milk it or like the smell of its manure.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:23 PM

I agree leaving in the villages is like being on vacation everyday...I never thought I would be playing golf I love it...I am down to 1/2 B/P bill and my doctor took me off my sugar pill so leaving in the villages have changed my way of living....
Old 03-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I have noticed in my short time in TV that the unhappy people fall into two groups but yet share one common trait. There are those that feel that TV is not strict enough and want a rigid type of community with nothing allowed that they do not like. The other kind are those that value their right to do as they please. What they both have in common is that they are ego centric and are not well suited to any type of living arrangement where likes and dislikes of the group are catered to rather than the individual.

This is not the place for the rugged individual or intolerant of things not to their liking. It is not like TV hides the fact that you are buying into a lifestyle. Just listen to their ads. They are very upfront about it and even call their visits a lifestyle visit. Don't buy a horse and then complain that you can't milk it or like the smell of its manure.
Vinny...That was exceptionally....deep

And very well said!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Being discouraged............

I reread all of the poss pertaining to this thread and what struck me are the many people who equate concern with being critical, never can please some poeple, unhappiness, etc. Let me begin by saying to you that I met and fell in love with my wife on my first day as a high school freshman and we have been together these long years. So no matter where I have lived I was happy because she was at my side. Secondly from a philosophical perspective I have always subscribe to the " You can embrace reality and have it work for you or ignore it and have it work against you theory." Having side that we cannot ignore this wonderful lifestyle. However, I also have never been able to ignore hypocrisy. People who live in places of incorporation, cities, towns, villages ,countires, states ,etc wouldn't hestitate to complain when government officials do not respond to their liking. Yet if someone in TV raises an issue they are naysayers, negative, never can please some people types. Never are they thought of as people who are speaking up for the benefit of villages residents.

Essentially my focus is on our form of government because it is so different but mostly because all governments realistically go awry in their planning and/or execution of plans. I thought it was called being a concerned citizen?
As that old commercial stated so well "its that simple and that complicated".
Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
I reread all of the poss pertaining to this thread and what struck me are the many people who equate concern with being critical, never can please some poeple, unhappiness, etc. Let me begin by saying to you that I met and fell in love with my wife on my first day as a high school freshman and we have been together these long years. So no matter where I have lived I was happy because she was at my side. Secondly from a philosophical perspective I have always subscribe to the " You can embrace reality and have it work for you or ignore it and have it work against you theory." Having side that we cannot ignore this wonderful lifestyle. However, I also have never been able to ignore hypocrisy. People who live in places of incorporation, cities, towns, villages ,countires, states ,etc wouldn't hestitate to complain when government officials do not respond to their liking. Yet if someone in TV raises an issue they are naysayers, negative, never can please some people types. Never are they thought of as people who are speaking up for the benefit of villages residents.

Essentially my focus is on our form of government because it is so different but mostly because all governments realistically go awry in their planning and/or execution of plans. I thought it was called being a concerned citizen?
Well said and from the heart Rubicon.

I think I am to blame for being tooooo positive, but it is hard not to be, and we can't vote anyone in....or out.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Sage

Quote:

Excellent points, Rubicon. Thanks for clarifying. When you stated earlier that you wished you had rented first before buying, I was concerned-- for you-- that you regretted the decision.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.