Being discouraged to be moving to the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
And sometimes the snowdrifts are so big in Chicago that I am afraid I will get lost in one. .
Or how about the WIND being so powerful in Chicago that you cannot walk against it......and then there's the ICE....!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Has anyone every been discouraged about moving to the Villages when they were thinking about moving there. I have seen that with me. There is one person, in particular, who is constantly doing that. He will say something negative about Florida or the Villages. Is it just jealousy or what. Why don't people just mind their business. I would not say anything to anyone if they would like to move somewhere that I would not want to move. As the saying goes, "To each his own."
Think positively about all the negatives: If you move here with lots of negative expectations, you will never be disapointed. Instead you will continually be surprised at how good things are.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Mr. UGOTME, Congratulations on your upcoming move to The Villages. And what village will you and Mrs. UGOTME be rocking and rolling in?
We will close on 7/17 on our home in Hillsborough. The southern point of TV - about 5 -10 minutes to Paddock square.

So we will take longer to get to LSL or SS - who cares?

Old 06-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Gosh this thread continues to thrive supporting the obsession many of us have with this place call The Villages. My wife and I never gave Florida as a retirement place until we visited The Villages. My wife is animated, very personable and social always smiling. On the other hand I am more serious more guarded. Material things were acquired not for me but to rove myself a good provider for my family and their future needs. I keep both feet on the ground attempting to remove as much emotion as I can in order to make logical decisions. This approach cuts as much as it kicks because in a quest for sound decision I sometimes lose the joy and excitement in say a purchase of a house, etc.

so this is me opening up. I loved the guys I meet on the courses each morning and can say that there were only two guys in seven years that I had a needed to feint patient and polite.

The Villages is a place of beauty and serenity for most. People are upbeat polite and courteous and have a great amount of energy.

I do thank God for giving me this opportunity to live out the rest of my days.

One more thing. I have a fondness for most of the members on TOTV. Thank you for listening to me. for providing valuable information and for scolding me when I was wrong. No I am not saying all of this because I had a hole in one.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If TV was the Garden of Eden we wouid still have the boo birds. Dictatorial government, Overgrown plantings, snakes----- on and on
Old 06-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Default Florida

Gracie - Why don't you like Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If it is someone with whom you have a lot of memories, it could be that he doesnt want you to leave because he truly likes you and will miss you and doesn't want you to go.. It could be that he can't afford to do it. AND it could be he doesn't like Florida...honestly doesn't like Florida.

I really don't like Florida. BUT

I really, REALLY like it in The Villages.

AND...chances are that if you invite this person down for a visit and give him something nice and kool to drink and show him around....well he will fall in love with the place, just like we all did.

And...we will have yet another new villager.

P.S. Tell him that the local paper has a Republican slant. I don't think we need any surprises to our new residents.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
With a name like tomcat, you might be single.
Whether so or not, you'll find it easy to make friends and find plenty of companions male and female for most any activity. I got away from a community too small, too few retired, too little to do, the feeling that life was stale and a rut.
TV is a breath of fresh air, childlike wonder, and a float on the clouds.
Kitty
It does sound like a paradise for singles....indeed.

What about for old married soul mates who have been married for 50 years?

I'd like to hear from some of them..........
Old 08-08-2013, 05:22 AM
Sage

After visiting florida several times and in several locations,I came to the conclusion that Florida was not for me. In 2005 we were asked to come to the villages for a visit. After seeing the villages, there was never any question or doubt where we would retire. We love every aspect of The Villages and the majority of the people. I can think of hundreds of places throughout the US that I would rather be located; however, not without the lifestyle that can only be found in The Villages.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Platinum member

"Oh, we can get so much more house outside The Villages."

"Oh, there are just too many people in The Villages."

"Oh, The Villages is too far north for the really warm Florida weather."

"Oh, The Villages is above the frost line."

"Oh, one of these days when The Villages is on its own and the developer is gone it will suffer from poor governance."

"Oh, those planned communities are stiffling with all the rules and regulations."

"Oh, I mean you can only play so much golf."

"Oh, The Villages is a politically conservative nightmare for those who have progressive ideas. "

"Oh, you know The Villages is rampant with STDs."

.....and on and on and on.

I've heard all of these, usually delivered with smug smiles and condescending tones, and yet we still built a house in The Villages that we love. But more than the home we love the active lifestyle.

I conclude that it is human nature to criticize those things that we want, but do not have. I probably do it to. "Man, those Corvettes sure do cost a lot of money," he said as he watched it cruise by, and never took his eyes off it until it was out of sight.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default more odd comments.....

or how about this one from my sister in law....the whole villages is going to swallowed up by a giant sinkhole hahahhaha...she has never been there
Old 08-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
It does sound like a paradise for singles....indeed.

What about for old married soul mates who have been married for 50 years?

I'd like to hear from some of them..........
Married 52 years! Have lived here 6 years. Best decision we ever made!

I don't even play golf!
Tampa, FL
Old 08-09-2013, 07:10 AM

When my husband and I finally do move to the Villages, and we have our house and settled, I think I will tell my friends and family that I finally moved. I do not want to hear those negative comments from anyone while I am in the process of moving. I also do not tell anyone that I am visiting the Villages anymore either when I come down and see. Thank you for all your encouraging words!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:59 AM

We are currently renting while looking for a house. I was dead set against moving here except temporarily to indulge my husband (who wants to live here). Well-we have lived here about a little more than a week and I love it. I cannot believe how friendly everyone is and the amount of activities there are. Everyone is so welcoming. Our only dilemma is figuring out where we want to live! Right now we are in Santiago and love it.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:03 AM

People who have never visited The Villages do not have a clue!!! You can hear about TV from others, read about TV, watch about it on television or watch the TV video, but until you come here and live it, you can not fully wrap your mind around what a wonderful, clean, beautiful place The Villages is. Not only that, 95 percent of the population are just as wonderful.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

i don't care what others think...where i move...unless they are buying me a home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.