Being discouraged to be moving to the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanbo View Post
People who have never visited The Villages do not have a clue!!! You can hear about TV from others, read about TV, watch about it on television or watch the TV video, but until you come here and live it, you can not fully wrap your mind around what a wonderful, clean, beautiful place The Villages is. Not only that, 95 percent of the population are just as wonderful.
Completely agree with this statement. We came, we saw, we bought !
Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

What this thread provides, old posts as well as the recent ones, is absolute proof that people who have no idea what they are talking about will give unwanted advice based strictly on opinion, prejudice........

a practice not exclusive to this topic!

btk
Old 08-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
What this thread provides, old posts as well as the recent ones, is absolute proof that people who have no idea what they are talking about will give unwanted advice based strictly on opinion, prejudice........

a practice not exclusive to this topic!

btk
Agree with you on that! I have told a few people that my hope is to eventually move to TV, maybe starting as a snowflake. I have heard the range of feedback from "Let me know when you buy, I will come to visit you" to "Are you out of your mind, Florida has hurricanes."

But unless someone else starts footing my bills, the decision will be mine!
Old 08-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
When my husband and I finally do move to the Villages, and we have our house and settled, I think I will tell my friends and family that I finally moved. I do not want to hear those negative comments from anyone while I am in the process of moving. I also do not tell anyone that I am visiting the Villages anymore either when I come down and see. Thank you for all your encouraging words!
TOMCAT, I hope you are able to find the home of your dreams someday in The Villages.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Veteran member

We are the few I guess that are actually leaving TV. We are heading to southern TN within the next 6 months. We miss kids, seasons and find we can buy a bigger house for much less money up there. We aren't fond of the oppressive heat here in the summer and we find it WAY too crowded in the winter.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
We are the few I guess that are actually leaving TV. We are heading to southern TN within the next 6 months. We miss kids, seasons and find we can buy a bigger house for much less money up there. We aren't fond of the oppressive heat here in the summer and we find it WAY too crowded in the winter.
No, cubs, I think there are a lot more than anyone realizes or admits. We did, eight months ago, and on the street of 24 homes where I lived there are four homes where the original owners moved out of The Villages and out of Florida.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Gosh this thread continues to thrive supporting the obsession many of us have with this place call The Villages. My wife and I never gave Florida as a retirement place until we visited The Villages. My wife is animated, very personable and social always smiling. On the other hand I am more serious more guarded. Material things were acquired not for me but to rove myself a good provider for my family and their future needs. I keep both feet on the ground attempting to remove as much emotion as I can in order to make logical decisions. This approach cuts as much as it kicks because in a quest for sound decision I sometimes lose the joy and excitement in say a purchase of a house, etc.

so this is me opening up. I loved the guys I meet on the courses each morning and can say that there were only two guys in seven years that I had a needed to feint patient and polite.

The Villages is a place of beauty and serenity for most. People are upbeat polite and courteous and have a great amount of energy.

I do thank God for giving me this opportunity to live out the rest of my days.

One more thing. I have a fondness for most of the members on TOTV. Thank you for listening to me. for providing valuable information and for scolding me when I was wrong. No I am not saying all of this because I had a hole in one.
Wow... rubiconI enjoyed reading your post. I'm happy that you're happy.
We're having fun, now about that hole in one, when and where.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:03 PM

I am moving to the villages as a snowbird in October. We have visited only 2x. However each time we felt the "senior energy", the "gusto for life", the live life to its fullest" and "this is the atmosphere to do it in" everywhere we went. As we age, we want to feel life again not sitting in the recliner watching it pass us by. It is our journey, not our children nor anyone else. It may not be for some but we will embrace it.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
No, cubs, I think there are a lot more than anyone realizes or admits. We did, eight months ago, and on the street of 24 homes where I lived there are four homes where the original owners moved out of The Villages and out of Florida.
That's very interesting! I know of another couple who moved down here 8 years ago. They stayed 2, moved back north, moved BACK down here and now are getting out for good. I guess it's an acquired taste down here that we haven't acquired.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Sage

gocubsgo, Here's hoping for the best for you when you move to Tennessee. Someone I used to sing with in choir moved to Fairfield Glade, an active adult community near Crossville, TN about 3 years ago. She loves it down there. Her kids still live in the Chicago area, so it was a good move for her and her husband.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Sage

Yep, good fit for some, but not for everyone.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:52 PM

Every time I read the threads here I want to visit. Today I do not want to face another New England winter. I am seriously considering renting for a year. I have a feeling I will buy very shortly after I arrive. Thank you for your posts and thank you Talk of the Villages for this site
Old 08-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Platinum member

I have lived in Tampa 16 years now having been a corporate transfer from
N.Y.

I will NEVER like Summer in Florida.

That being said, we cannot wait to sell our house in Tampa and
Move into our new house in Gilchrist.

Florida is not for everyone. The best thing you can do before buying
Is to live here in the Summer and see if you can do it.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:04 PM

I moved to TV about four years ago with a lot of negative comments from friends and even my doctor ringing in my head. It was difficult leaving everyone in Long Island NY since its the only home I have ever known, and being single was scary since I knew no one in TV.

Then something happened to make me realize this is the place for me -- one day I was leaving Savannah Center and saw a lady having some difficulty with her golf cart. As I got closer I saw she was trying to attach her walker to the cart with bungee cords. I offered help and it took a moment to attach everything. She commented that she must be getting old because she's never had trouble before with the bungee cords. She told me as she drove away, she was 92! I realized right there and then that it's the way I want to approach 92 -- tying my walker onto my golf cart!!! Talk about a great place to live healthy and enjoy life - unbelievable!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel222 View Post
I moved to TV about four years ago with a lot of negative comments from friends and even my doctor ringing in my head. It was difficult leaving everyone in Long Island NY since its the only home I have ever known, and being single was scary since I knew no one in TV.

Then something happened to make me realize this is the place for me -- one day I was leaving Savannah Center and saw a lady having some difficulty with her golf cart. As I got closer I saw she was trying to attach her walker to the cart with bungee cords. I offered help and it took a moment to attach everything. She commented that she must be getting old because she's never had trouble before with the bungee cords. She told me as she drove away, she was 92! I realized right there and then that it's the way I want to approach 92 -- tying my walker onto my golf cart!!! Talk about a great place to live healthy and enjoy life - unbelievable!
Feel this hug. The folks senior to me are my heros and heroines. Been young and loved it. Now old-er and loving it too. It is so nice to be among friends who understand me at this stage of my life. Peers are great.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.