Being discouraged to be moving to the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Default Being discouraged to be moving to the Villages

Has anyone every been discouraged about moving to the Villages when they were thinking about moving there. I have seen that with me. There is one person, in particular, who is constantly doing that. He will say something negative about Florida or the Villages. Is it just jealousy or what. Why don't people just mind their business. I would not say anything to anyone if they would like to move somewhere that I would not want to move. As the saying goes, "To each his own."
Old 02-21-2011, 11:25 AM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Has anyone every been discouraged about moving to the Villages when they were thinking about moving there. I have seen that with me. There is one person, in particular, who is constantly doing that. He will say something negative about Florida or the Villages. Is it just jealousy or what. Why don't people just mind their business. I would not say anything to anyone if they would like to move somewhere that I would not want to move. As the saying goes, "To each his own."
Your last line sums it all up. " To each his own". That one person is not the one who is moving or making the choice.
Just my thoughts
Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If it is someone with whom you have a lot of memories, it could be that he doesnt want you to leave because he truly likes you and will miss you and doesn't want you to go.. It could be that he can't afford to do it. AND it could be he doesn't like Florida...honestly doesn't like Florida.

I really don't like Florida. BUT

I really, REALLY like it in The Villages.

AND...chances are that if you invite this person down for a visit and give him something nice and kool to drink and show him around....well he will fall in love with the place, just like we all did.

And...we will have yet another new villager.

P.S. Tell him that the local paper has a Republican slant. I don't think we need any surprises to our new residents.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-21-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Gold member

Many people who have never visited here said so many negative things to us before we moved here. I got tired of defending our move so choose to ignore the comments. After moving here I wanted to tell those people how it is here, but then we decided , why bother. It's our secret, we don't need those people moving here anyway. We have some friends who have their preconceived ideas and don't even want to visit, so be it.
Please don't get sucked into their thoughts about The Villages, come see for yourself, think you'll be pleasantly surprised. We only wish we had moved here sooner !
Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Funny

A little humor..I have a brother who is a reasonably well known designer and lives in California. When I told him we were moving to The Villages he would ask how we could live in a totally controlled commuity, lose our ability to be independent, run around in golf carts and many many more negatives.
After a year or so he came to visit for a week or so. He loved it. He now flies to The Villages every chance he gets and spends time with us.
He is now talking his wife into coming with him on a visit (she is also in the art world) so she can observe the life here.
Let your negative friend wait, then visit and then move..It will happen.. :welcome
Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 AM

We lived in Fl for 11 years and left and thought we wouldn't be back.But now after coming to TV for the last 8 years guess where we own a house and will be living in the near future?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 AM

Yes, I do know about the heat of Florida. How many people do not know that? No, I did not realized that Orlando, Florida, has one of the greatest crime rates in the nations. Maybe Mickey Mouse is having money problems and is mugging people. I would say back, LOL. These are just a few comments that I do hear.

I live in Long Island, NY. I am not too far from crime infested neighborhoods here either. Everywhere there is going to be an area that is not too good. The Villages seems like a safe place to live. I have visited there at least two times and will be coming down again.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

There are always some who will be negative. Not just about moving here, but about you moving anywhere. The reality is there is only person you need to please (well, two if you're married) and that's YOU. Your kids, if any, are grown and living their own lives. Your friends will either be thrilled you've found a place that you know suits you and the life you want to live or hate that you're leaving them. If they're truly friends, they'll be happy for you regardless. Family will get over it if they care about you once they see how happy you are.

As strange as it sounds, I recommend you read Leisureville -- at least the first few chapters. The author is under the illusion that his older neighbors owe it to his village to stay there to help raise his kids. The reality is his neighbors owe him nothing, just as you owe neighbors, co-workers, friends and family nothing. You have the right to enjoy your life, so go for it! Live here, invite them down to visit, have fun and let those who are bitter enjoy their lives however they choose to live them.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Leaving Long Island

I had a very good friend not try and talk me out of it but suggested we make sure it was what we wanted before we did it. Also suggested we keep the house up north for a while until we were sure,well we sold and moved within four months of putting the house on the market. He's since convinced we did the right thing. Neither my wife or I have one single regret on moving here,except maybe doing it sooner. Everything worked out great,we don't look back and after leaving the high taxes, utilities, and the anything goes rules. We're VERY happy in our new found community and the friends we've made. So take it with a grain of salt and hurry down.See ya soon
Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Sage

I always say the same thing to those people "You have to visit to understand".

Most people's idea of Florida retirement is some aging community with one golf course, one old style swimming pool etc.

I brought each of my kids down before we purchased and had them stay with us for a few days. Now they CAN'T WAIT for us to move and my close friends are convinced as well.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran member

My son, my very own son, thought I should rent for at least 6 months before thinking about buying a house here. But when he came to visit, he understood why I made up my mind so fast.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Platinum member

Florida is a poverty stricken ghost town. It is too hot. You can get a house for half the price you pay in TV anywhere else in Florida. There are many retirement places with A golf course. Everyone living there has one foot in the grave. Etc. etc. I heard all the lines. I didn't know what to believe until I visited friends in TV and "It was love at first sight." You can't explain what TV has to offer to anyone. They have to see it to believe it. Like Skip 0358 and TomKat, I also live on Long Island and living the lifestyle of Village People beats the heck out of the alternative. I was not as fortunate as Skip but I hope to eventually sell my NY home and never look back. Peole used to say "Old people come to Florida to die". What outsiders don't know is "In The Villages they come here to live."
Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
Florida is a poverty stricken ghost town. It is too hot. You can get a house for half the price you pay in TV anywhere else in Florida. There are many retirement places with A golf course. Everyone living there has one foot in the grave. Etc. etc. I heard all the lines. I didn't know what to believe until I visited friends in TV and "It was love at first sight." You can't explain what TV has to offer to anyone. They have to see it to believe it. Like Skip 0358 and TomKat, I also live on Long Island and living the lifestyle of Village People beats the heck out of the alternative. I was not as fortunate as Skip but I hope to eventually sell my NY home and never look back. Peole used to say "Old people come to Florida to die". What outsiders don't know is "In The Villages they come here to live."
I very much agree!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
There are always some who will be negative. Not just about moving here, but about you moving anywhere. The reality is there is only person you need to please (well, two if you're married) and that's YOU. Your kids, if any, are grown and living their own lives. Your friends will either be thrilled you've found a place that you know suits you and the life you want to live or hate that you're leaving them. If they're truly friends, they'll be happy for you regardless. Family will get over it if they care about you once they see how happy you are.

As strange as it sounds, I recommend you read Leisureville -- at least the first few chapters. The author is under the illusion that his older neighbors owe it to his village to stay there to help raise his kids. The reality is his neighbors owe him nothing, just as you owe neighbors, co-workers, friends and family nothing. You have the right to enjoy your life, so go for it! Live here, invite them down to visit, have fun and let those who are bitter enjoy their lives however they choose to live them.
Redwitch...thank you for putting it all in perspective. You are absolutely right...the only ones we have to please is ourselves (hubby & I). Given the opportunity, my kids would move in a heartbeat and not think twice about leaving us in NJ. And that is fine...they have their own lives to lead but so do we. I've said the same to my friends who think we're "rushing" and should take another year or so to decide. But none of us know what the future holds and we deserve to be happy for as long as God will allow us. And happiness for us right now is moving to TV and enjoying a new, fun and more active lifestyle!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Default Discouraging...

Previous posters said it best when they say that you must listen to what your heart tells you.

I first came to TV 4 years ago, on a 5 month rental. I had made it very clear to my wife that we would not be buying a home in Florida, as renting is so much more care free, and we didn't need the worries of owning a home from afar (we are 6 month snowbirds).

By January of our rental year, we had bought a home here and had moved in by Feb. We still only live here 6 months per year, but have never regretted for minute our decision. No matter what others tell you, or even what you have been telling yourself, come and experience TV, and then listen to your heart. If you do, we will soon be welcoming you to our hometown (even if in our case, it is only a part time hometown).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.