Being discouraged to be moving to the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2011, 08:51 PM

I was just wondering how expensive is it to live in the villages? If I could afford to completely pay off my home and just have living expensives, what could I expect to pay, approx per month? We visited a few months ago, and we really loved it. I have about 2 years to retirement, and I am already thinking in terms of fixing up my current house and getting ready to move. I am just hesitant because I don't know what to expect for living expenses.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon10 View Post
I was just wondering how expensive is it to live in the villages? If I could afford to completely pay off my home and just have living expensives, what could I expect to pay, approx per month? We visited a few months ago, and we really loved it. I have about 2 years to retirement, and I am already thinking in terms of fixing up my current house and getting ready to move. I am just hesitant because I don't know what to expect for living expenses.
Hi Sharon - Welcome to TOTV!!!

Here is a good thread (one of 3 zcaveman put together) that gives you a ballpark idea of what living expenses would be. See "Financial Information" then "Living Costs" below that:

Moving to the Villages - Part 1

Hope that helps! Again, welcome!!

Bill
Old 08-21-2011, 09:14 PM

Welcome Sharon10.
There are all kinds of homes here and I know you can afford to live here. Send for The Villages pkg and it will have a sheet in there on costs. Also Nuts and Bolts at the bottom of this board has much great info. Plus use the search at the top of this page.
If you buy a small pre-owned villa with rock landscaping on the historic side it is very cheap living. Plus, you have all the same amenities as anyone. Go bigger and newer and you pay more.
Many people have jobs in here too. So don't worry about money.
There will be someone on here to give you more specific numbers.
Again welcome.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Smile

Bill & Larry,
Thanks for responding and giving me some encouragement. I am 2 years and counting down...I am going to visit again in Feb or March, really can't wait. This is just the place to be.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Default newbee

Don't worry about anyones opinion except yours.This is my first post. My wife and I have traveled the country extensively the last 15 years keeping in mind where we wanted to retire. We retired early 3 years ago at 57, still not knowing where we wanted to live. We both wanted a place where we could live life to the fullest and not just a place to wait to die. We spent last winter in the Islands and South Fl. Friends of ours had been bugging us to visit the villages for awhile. We were planning on going to Savanna and Myrtle beach for a few weeks before returning home to NJ. We decided to take a detour and stop at TV late in Feb. It was the best thing we could have done. We Instantly fell in love with it! We came back in July for 9 days, picked out a lot and a house plan. We will be back 9/7 to meet with the design center. Our home for the rest of our lives should be completed in November. We can't wait! Note, when our friend found out what we did they bought a lot sight unseen 2 lots from us. See you all soon!!!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Sage

Good for you GTTPF!! Congrats!!

Bill
Old 08-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Settle 8/26 on our house here in Md. Be in our CYV on 8/31 fot "the duration"
Old 08-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Gold member
Default Some just don't get it!

I starter a thread on this same topic several weeks ago.

Thanks to all that lifted my spirts after getting bashed on moving to the Villages.

I think many of us have run into one or two that " Just don't get it

Herv
Old 08-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by hforward View Post
I starter a thread on this same topic several weeks ago.

Thanks to all that lifted my spirts after getting bashed on moving to the Villages.

I think many of us have run into one or two that " Just don't get it

Herv
One of my dearest friends was a TV basher. In June, I invited her to come with me while I met with the designer about my home choices. She did imbibe in a Kool refreshing drink or two. She excitedly returned with me a couple weeks ago while I strengthened the Florida economy buying furniture, golf cart, etc. She called me last nite informing me that she and her husband would love to come visit in a few months. She's got the bug!

You have to experience to appreciate!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Gold member
Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTPF View Post
Don't worry about anyones opinion except yours.This is my first post. My wife and I have traveled the country extensively the last 15 years keeping in mind where we wanted to retire. We retired early 3 years ago at 57, still not knowing where we wanted to live. We both wanted a place where we could live life to the fullest and not just a place to wait to die. We spent last winter in the Islands and South Fl. Friends of ours had been bugging us to visit the villages for awhile. We were planning on going to Savanna and Myrtle beach for a few weeks before returning home to NJ. We decided to take a detour and stop at TV late in Feb. It was the best thing we could have done. We Instantly fell in love with it! We came back in July for 9 days, picked out a lot and a house plan. We will be back 9/7 to meet with the design center. Our home for the rest of our lives should be completed in November. We can't wait! Note, when our friend found out what we did they bought a lot sight unseen 2 lots from us. See you all soon!!!!!
Welcome to TOTV and soon to TV. May all your dreams come true in the next 50+ years here.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This place is just too good to be true.

I just love it here.

And I just love the villagers.

but have you noticed all the old people?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTPF View Post
Great story. It made me very happy.

May all your dreams come true.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 06-21-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Has anyone every been discouraged about moving to the Villages when they were thinking about moving there. I have seen that with me. There is one person, in particular, who is constantly doing that. He will say something negative about Florida or the Villages. Is it just jealousy or what. Why don't people just mind their business. I would not say anything to anyone if they would like to move somewhere that I would not want to move. As the saying goes, "To each his own."
Well....I am moving down to the villages with my partner on the 28th of June....I cant wait to leave this cold country of Wisconsin for some heat.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Has anyone every been discouraged about moving to the Villages when they were thinking about moving there. I have seen that with me. There is one person, in particular, who is constantly doing that. He will say something negative about Florida or the Villages. Is it just jealousy or what. Why don't people just mind their business. I would not say anything to anyone if they would like to move somewhere that I would not want to move. As the saying goes, "To each his own."
Who cares just as long as "your friend" doesn't move here.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Yes, I do know about the heat of Florida. How many people do not know that? No, I did not realized that Orlando, Florida, has one of the greatest crime rates in the nations. Maybe Mickey Mouse is having money problems and is mugging people. I would say back, LOL. These are just a few comments that I do hear.

I live in Long Island, NY. I am not too far from crime infested neighborhoods here either. Everywhere there is going to be an area that is not too good. The Villages seems like a safe place to live. I have visited there at least two times and will be coming down again.
I am a former Long Islander who moved here two weeks ago. I too he a crummy neighborhood not too far away (Hempstead) and no one ever bothered me. The Villages us pretty and active and the people are pleasant. Follow your own dream.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.