Being discouraged to be moving to the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Sage

As the saying goes:

"Misery loves company."

And people choose to believe what they want to believe about another place to live.

They choose to not be swayed by factual accounts by their friends/relatives whose word can be taken to the bank. It's their loss.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

untill they visit its hard to wrap your head around how life is in the villages
Old 06-21-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
untill they visit its hard to wrap your head around how life is in the villages
We have stopped trying to explain it to people. When they hear we are moving to Florida to a development they ask if there is a pool and a place to play cards. They also ask if we are going to find a part time job so we don't get bored.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganders View Post
We have stopped trying to explain it to people. When they hear we are moving to Florida to a development they ask if there is a pool and a place to play cards. They also ask if we are going to find a part time job so we don't get bored.
....Yeah.. Like it's not boring in the Great Lakes region when you have to dig 3 ft of wet packed snow away from your garage door to be able to drive out to play cards at the town senior center that offers card playing once a week, and if you don't slide off the roadway coming home on glare ice, you come home to the driveway having been plowed shut by the city or Township snow plows, and so you get your shovel out of the trunk to try to chip away at the 1-ton pile to try to drive up to your house, but you can't do it by hand....and you can't park in the street because of the snow plows coming again, and the neighbors' driveways are plowed shut too.

Yup. It's only boring for 9 months of the year there...and who likes sunshine, anyway?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Gold member

Quite frankly - WHO CARES what they think?

I live in So. Fla. in a "senior community."
No disrespect but most people here hardly ever go out except to dinner once in a while and then home and to bed. B O R I N G! (to me at least).

People here are asking why am I moving. I tell them there is nothing here and they say oh what do you expect to do - you're not a kid!
Obviously they don't know me very well! LOL (mentally I am about 10 - maybe 12????).

Just bought in TV and CAN NOT WAIT to get up there. Watch out people - Mr. & Mrs. UGOTME are coming up !!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post

No disrespect but most people here hardly ever go out except to dinner once in a while and then home and to bed. B O R I N G! (to me at least).

People here are asking why am I moving. I tell them there is nothing here and they say oh what do you expect to do - you're not a kid!
Obviously they don't know me very well! LOL (mentally I am about 10 - maybe 12????).

Just bought in TV and CAN NOT WAIT to get up there. Watch out people - Mr. & Mrs. UGOTME are coming up !!!!
A cranky woman from Stonecrest (just north of and bordering on TV), said to me one day, "Oh.....I'd never live in The Villages.....it's nothing more than a PLAYGROUND!!!"

I didn't see anything wrong with that concept.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Veteran member

A friend of mine upon learning I was moving to Florida said, " The bugs are so big down there. If they fly into you they'll knock you down!" :-)
Old 06-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Platinum member

What's really funny is they don't seem to mind the MILLIONS of people,
horrible traffic and taxes and lousy weather where they live!

People are AFRAID of CHANGE and you're daring to move on to something new!
How dare you?
Old 06-22-2013, 03:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post

Mr. UGOTME, Congratulations on your upcoming move to The Villages. And what village will you and Mrs. UGOTME be rocking and rolling in?
Old 06-22-2013, 03:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
A cranky woman from Stonecrest (just north of and bordering on TV), said to me one day, "Oh.....I'd never live in The Villages.....it's nothing more than a PLAYGROUND!!!"

I didn't see anything wrong with that concept.
Me either. After 40 hours of being around my coworkers, I am ready for a playground. Let the good times roll!
Old 06-22-2013, 03:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjo View Post
A friend of mine upon learning I was moving to Florida said, " The bugs are so big down there. If they fly into you they'll knock you down!" :-)
And sometimes the snowdrifts are so big in Chicago that I am afraid I will get lost in one. .
Old 06-22-2013, 05:37 AM
Location: TV (North of 466)-Lived: IN,MI,CH,IL,TX,UT,OH,GA,NC,FL

Always enjoyed 'visiting' (own home) The Villages.
Upon 'Full time', I must consistently remind myself to focus on the positive. 'It's a beautiful day...'.

It is beautiful.

Friendly? Hmmmm.... (depends on one's definition).

Safe?
Well..... (depends on one's definition and experiences)
Golf Carts: How many times has one had a golf cart pull in front of a moving car?
Rules of the road when losing one's lane, "MERGE" also includes "YIELD" ...does one pull out in front of a Semi as one is MERGING into an Interstate Highway? ...similarity is Semi vs Car & Car vs Golf Cart....WHICH is going to 'lose'? I have seen golf carts pull out without YIELDING so many times it is just past ridiculous. I have seen a golf cart HIT a pedestrian in a cross walk due to the golf cart not coming to a stop at a STOP sign with a pedestrian cross walk (how many pedestrian cross walks are there?..not many!). The pedestrian placed a hand out and JUMPED as the golf cart hit...therefore pedestrian was pushed forward in the air and landing on feet. Pedestrian yelled at driver and then walked away...no 'report').
I have also experienced a Golf Cart driver running a stop sign & pulling in front of my car (after I applied the breaks with much force so as not to hit said golf cart). The Golf Cart driver's response to this experience was a 'Friendly' one finger wave (as one might imagine, the golf cart driver was using the middle finger).
Bicycles - riders must have a 'suicide wish'. Why in the world would one ride on a busy road with 'narrow' lanes combined with Senior drivers? Seriously!!

It is Beautiful.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Sage

With a name like tomcat, you might be single.
Whether so or not, you'll find it easy to make friends and find plenty of companions male and female for most any activity. I got away from a community too small, too few retired, too little to do, the feeling that life was stale and a rut.
TV is a breath of fresh air, childlike wonder, and a float on the clouds.
Kitty
Old 06-22-2013, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Has anyone every been discouraged about moving to the Villages when they were thinking about moving there. I have seen that with me. There is one person, in particular, who is constantly doing that. He will say something negative about Florida or the Villages. Is it just jealousy or what. Why don't people just mind their business. I would not say anything to anyone if they would like to move somewhere that I would not want to move. As the saying goes, "To each his own."
No matter where you live, there are always people that look at the grass is greener on the other side, but i have lived here for 11 years, and yes the developer passed away, and the children have focused on selling real estate, and took away many amenities, but i have lived in a few places, and none have compared to where I live in the Villages, if you find me a better place to live, and i will go...but doubt i'll find one.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:01 AM

We bought this past December and haven't quite settled in yet, however, three of our four children have been down to visit and check out the parents new digs. The youngest (23) was the funniest. After a golf cart ride all around she announced, "I want to live here, this is like Disney World for grown ups" we all died laughing!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.