Being discouraged to be moving to the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Angel222

You made my day, thanks for sharing!!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:14 PM

Florida is not for everyone and TV is not for everyone. We are just building here now. We have close relatives within 30 monitored of here and several friend's and clients in Florida, from here on down to Tampa, Sabastian, Naples ... All over. We are from Blatimore and find the summers in TV to be no different except there is a breeze in TV. Yes it is hot and humid. Before making Theighs and ordering a home, i talked to a couple dozen Village residents. I talked in length with all of our friend's and relatives. Granted, this does not amount to a scientific survey, not eben close but it satisfied us. Something very interesting was noted. Everyone, yes, everyone who lived here YEAR ROUND for over three years found it okay. All of them (who stayed full time, said tis the best place they have lived. We surmise that the key is assimilation. Of course, these are the same people who now wear winter ski coats when the temperature drops to the low 60s. And, most of the people we know lived in Maryland or Northern Virginia, up to Phili, all of which have hot humid summers.(and I might add, slushy, bone penetrating winters.
As to the 2011 comments about people being discouraging to moving to TV. They are like we used to be regarding TV. When it is explained, it is sust another planned retirement community. After you're here, you experience it, and -as most of you reading this know- you gotta be part of it.
Th Th Tha Tha that's all folks!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Smile Upset with my moving to The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Has anyone every been discouraged about moving to the Villages when they were thinking about moving there. I have seen that with me. There is one person, in particular, who is constantly doing that. He will say something negative about Florida or the Villages. Is it just jealousy or what. Why don't people just mind their business. I would not say anything to anyone if they would like to move somewhere that I would not want to move. As the saying goes, "To each his own."
I have a friend that was negative about my moving to The Villages. I couldn't understand why. I have invited her to come visit me, but she hasn't come yet. I'm living here almost 12 years. I've come to realize that that she will never visit, even though I've gone back North to visit her. I worked in New Jersey for 31 years and that is where we became friends. I have no family in New Jersey, so I have no reason to visit except to see her. We now just exchange Christmas cards. So sad because if she wasn't so negative, I know she would love it here.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Some people even as seniors do not know what they want in life. You have to feel sorry for them for being wishy/ washy.

The Villages for me is the GREATEST!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

From 1955 to 1959 I was between the ages of 5 and 9 and lived in Baltimore. Every summer my parents and I would come to Florida, I had been to Cypress Gardens, Silver Springs, Key West and all over Florida. When I was 6 years old I even shook Adali Stevenson's hand in Winter Haven when he was running for President.

My dad had a pretty good job, he worked as a welder for Bendix and our home was 3 stories tall, we had apartments rented out on the 2nd and 3rd floor. One day in 1959 my dad came home from work and said he had quit his job and we were moving to Florida. That's how my dad handled the move to Florida. No job waiting, no home, didn't even know what city and of course we had no internet back then. We headed to Ft. Myers, didn't really care for the town when we got there. Turned around and went back north on Hwy 19 and settled in St. Petersburg. My father ended up retiring from the City of St. Petersburg after 25 years in 1984 and I graduated from St. Petersburg High in 1968.

So when I hear all these stories about the planning, the trips, the rentals and conversations, I just think of how my dad moved to Florida. In 1984 upon my parents retirement, they moved to Spring Hill. That's about 50 miles north of St. Petersburg on Hwy 19 in Hernando County, it was a planned 55+ community that had just opened. Turned out to be a very nice place and was built out about a dozen years ago. 2,000 homes, 3 golf courses and completely walled in with security gates. Much cheaper than The Villages, but not nearly the lifestyle.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
From 1955 to 1959 I was between the ages of 5 and 9 and lived in Baltimore. Every summer my parents and I would come to Florida, I had been to Cypress Gardens, Silver Springs, Key West and all over Florida. When I was 6 years old I even shook Adali Stevenson's hand in Winter Haven when he was running for President.

My dad had a pretty good job, he worked as a welder for Bendix and our home was 3 stories tall, we had apartments rented out on the 2nd and 3rd floor. One day in 1959 my dad came home from work and said he had quit his job and we were moving to Florida. That's how my dad handled the move to Florida. No job waiting, no home, didn't even know what city and of course we had no internet back then. We headed to Ft. Myers, didn't really care for the town when we got there. Turned around and went back north on Hwy 19 and settled in St. Petersburg. My father ended up retiring from the City of St. Petersburg after 25 years in 1984 and I graduated from St. Petersburg High in 1968.

So when I hear all these stories about the planning, the trips, the rentals and conversations, I just think of how my dad moved to Florida. In 1984 upon my parents retirement, they moved to Spring Hill. That's about 50 miles north of St. Petersburg on Hwy 19 in Hernando County, it was a planned 55+ community that had just opened. Turned out to be a very nice place and was built out about a dozen years ago. 2,000 homes, 3 golf courses and completely walled in with security gates. Much cheaper than The Villages, but not nearly the lifestyle.
Excellent post thank you
Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 PM

tom - absolutely every person i talked to about my moving to the villages had a negative thing to say about it - i just could not believe my ears, and since i am alone it did alot to discourage me. when i went to tv and stayed for 2 weeks, absolutely everyone - and that was about 30-40 people - who already live there told me 'i love it here.' mind you, none of them said 'i like it here', but 'i love it here.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Has anyone every been discouraged about moving to the Villages when they were thinking about moving there. I have seen that with me. There is one person, in particular, who is constantly doing that. He will say something negative about Florida or the Villages. Is it just jealousy or what. Why don't people just mind their business. I would not say anything to anyone if they would like to move somewhere that I would not want to move. As the saying goes, "To each his own."
Old 08-13-2013, 04:55 PM

I recently went out to lunch and one of my negative comment people told me" That he plays golf with someone who has a house here and says that the Villages is wild with high STD's and the women are always going after the men. Also there are wild parties and everything." Well, I told him that I have been to the Villages a couple of time and the Squares close at 9pm also I did see a bar open later with people sitting outside. I do not think there is anything wrong with that. I think he has to come down and see for himself.

I found the Villages quiet and clean. I do not think there would be too many wild parties, but if there is a party here and there, hey, that is okay with me.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
TOMCAT, I hope you are able to find the home of your dreams someday in The Villages.
Thank you, Schaumburger. It is getting closer to that retirement. I have the age now!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:01 PM

Another negative comment, The grandchildren visit and will be in your pool all the time. I said there are family pools they go to, and the other pools, you have to be over 30 to go in.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Sage

Yes, we had friends who basically did not want us to move because they would be lonesome. Some of their arguements were: you will be infested with giant flying roaches, weather is too hot and humid, hurricanes will destroy your home, and Death's Waiting Room.

Well, as you all know, the bugs are controlled easily by a bug service, the weather is not as hot and humid as the Washington DC area where I come from, I have not seen a hurricane, and The Villages is more alive than living in suburban Washington DC.

Do not listen to naysayers. Live for yourself. Enjoy everyday. Give thanks to God everyday.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.