Best cell phone reception in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2019, 08:09 PM
Default Best cell phone reception in TV?

My wife and I have Consumer cellular and our connectivity here in the villages has been horrible. We have especially had trouble in the new areas south of 44. I believe CC uses at& t network. Which carrier seems to have the best coverage? Thanks
Old 07-23-2019, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

There is no best. Depends on where you live and where you go. I am in Amelia just North of 466A and ATT gave me zero coverage at my house and within almost 2 blocks. I had to give them up after probably 30 years (of all their previous iterations) for Verizon which works fine for me here and everywhere I have been but may not somewhere else. Not too many cell towers for any provider servicing TV on it's property. I believe there is 1 tower actually ion TV physical property and the rest are on the outskirts. Bottom line is, try another prepaid like Verizon and see how it works out.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:01 PM
Bosoxfan

Verizon has the best network. If you have an old phone or cheap phone your reception won't be as good
Old 07-24-2019, 05:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpd3062 View Post
My wife and I have Consumer cellular and our connectivity here in the villages has been horrible. We have especially had trouble in the new areas south of 44. I believe CC uses at& t network. Which carrier seems to have the best coverage? Thanks
There are only 4 cell phone networks in the country: Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. Every independent review I have read in the past 20 years or so have always rated Verizon as the absolute best network. I use the Xfinity Mobile service, which uses the Verizon network. I get unlimited calls and text, and pay 14 dollars per month as long as I use less than 1 GB of data, which is more than enough for me because I almost always use wifi for data. If you use a lot of data, you can get an unlimited data plan for about 45 dollars per month. But, no matter which cell plan you buy, I think you should make sure it uses the Verizon network.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:42 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Verizon has the best network. If you have an old phone or cheap phone your reception won't be as good

Agree with the Bo................Verizon.

There are gaps in TV with other providers.

There are a number of threads on this site regarding coverage.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpd3062 View Post
My wife and I have Consumer Cellular and our connectivity here in the villages has been horrible. We have especially had trouble in the new areas south of 44. I believe CC uses at&t network. Which carrier seems to have the best coverage? Thanks
We have been with Consumer Cellular (CC) for a about 3-4 years and love it. In TV, we are generally north of 44 and we don't have any problems.

Here's something you can try and it costs nothing. CC uses both AT&T and T-Mobile. Your phone can connect to only one of them. This is specified by the SIM card that CC put in your phone.

Call CC and ask them which one you are using. Ask CC to send you a new SIM card that connects your phone to the other one. If performance is better, leave it in your phone. If not, put the original SIM card back in.

From what I have read on TOTV, "trouble in the new areas south of 44" seems to be common for all carriers at this time. Also, replace "south of 44" with "south of 466A" and you have the situation reported on TOTV about 5-6 years ago. The carriers can't seem to expand their infrastructure at a pace that keeps up with the expansion of TV.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:54 PM

Coverage by carrier seems to vary by location. I live just north of 466a and have excellent coverage with Verizon. When I go north to Spanish Springs Verizon's signal is poor.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,221 Times in 928 Posts

We live in McClure, south of 44, have AT&T and coverage is lousy, one bar on the signal strength indicator. When we go to the Fenney Grill we have very poor or no coverage, depends on conditions. Plan on changing providers if it doesn't improve soon.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:40 PM
Bosoxfan

Live in McClure. The Mrs. and I both have high end Samsung S8 and S8+ phones and never have dropped calls
Old 07-24-2019, 09:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There are only 4 cell phone networks in the country: Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. Every independent review I have read in the past 20 years or so have always rated Verizon as the absolute best network. I use the Xfinity Mobile service, which uses the Verizon network. I get unlimited calls and text, and pay 14 dollars per month as long as I use less than 1 GB of data, which is more than enough for me because I almost always use wifi for data. If you use a lot of data, you can get an unlimited data plan for about 45 dollars per month. But, no matter which cell plan you buy, I think you should make sure it uses the Verizon network.
And US Cellular...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2019, 01:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

We have two carriers Sprint which works perfectly at our home now, and . Att when we are out and about.
In pennacamp our sprint didn’t work at all, at our house, but att did. Each home we have bought carrier was different.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
And US Cellular...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Thanks, you are correct. U.S. Cellular is a company that has it's own network towers. But, their coverage is regional, and mostly in the Midwest and Pacific Northwest. It looks like they have few or no towers in Florida and only provide 4g service in about 10 percent of the country.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:32 AM
Platinum member

We use T-Mobile which has vastly improved. I rarely have dropped calls anywhere in The Villages and it is the best for international travel.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

We both have Tracfone, which uses the Verizon network here.
NEVER fails us - perfect connection and reception no matter where we are.

AT&T network was horrible, and per friends, still is. Sometimes we see folks on calls outside their home because reception is so poor inside, or no reception inside stores etc.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

During the first month that the Trolley rides were happening to show us the Fenney Area, I tried calling from Verizon To Verizon phones that were next to each other in The Trolley and Zip, Zero, Zilch.

Whenever we take a trip down that way nowadays there is never a problem Receiving, Making Call & Texts or Using the Internet. We are on the 55 Plus plan @ $40 per month per line and $20 for an iPad. Haven't dropped a call anywhere except in our home and the 4G LTE Extender they sent me did the trick. I am totally happy with Verizon. One of these other companies that use The Verizon Tower sound great also. I like that Comcast phone deal but the catch is you have to own your phone first. Good Luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
areas, south, network, coverage, carrier

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.