Best cell phone reception in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2019, 08:42 AM

There is some help when you are in your house. If you have an iphone (and maybe others), go into settings and put 'wifi calling' on. With this toggled on, your phone will send calls thru your wifi system if the signal is stronger than the cell signal. I think that almost all of my verizon calls from inside the house are using my wifi system.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
We use T-Mobile which has vastly improved. I rarely have dropped calls anywhere in The Villages and it is the best for international travel.
We travel a fair amount and the international coverage is a huge benefit for us (that, and the fact that we pay $60 per month for unlimited everything for the two of us on their 55+ or whatever plan ... ) Love it!

kathy
Old 07-25-2019, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
During the first month that the Trolley rides were happening to show us the Fenney Area, I tried calling from Verizon To Verizon phones that were next to each other in The Trolley and Zip, Zero, Zilch.

Whenever we take a trip down that way nowadays there is never a problem Receiving, Making Call & Texts or Using the Internet. We are on the 55 Plus plan @ $40 per month per line and $20 for an iPad. Haven't dropped a call anywhere except in our home and the 4G LTE Extender they sent me did the trick. I am totally happy with Verizon. One of these other companies that use The Verizon Tower sound great also. I like that Comcast phone deal but the catch is you have to own your phone first. Good Luck.
I'm not sure what you mean about Comcast. You can buy a phone at the Xfinity store at Rolling Acres and Rt 441. I think you can either pay cash or use the 24 month payment plan. Or, I believe you can now bring your own phone. But, you do need to have Xfinity internet service.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean about Comcast. You can buy a phone at the Xfinity store at Rolling Acres and Rt 441. I think you can either pay cash or use the 24 month payment plan. Or, I believe you can now bring your own phone. But, you do need to have Xfinity internet service.
I meant that once you are in The Verizon Web, you are stuck with them until you pay off the phone. I tried to pay off the Primary Phone and jump ship to Comcast early with no luck.

It makes sense though. With Verizon, if you time it correctly you get a new phone and then the second one for "Free". But you have to spend the entire Two Years With them UNTIL THE ORIGINAL PHONE IS PAID OFF. Otherwise, the Second Phone is NOT FREE ANYMORE. The illusion of having no contract is appealing but you actually have a leash on you for TWO YEARS. THEY ARE NOT STUPID.

If I didn't Splain this well I'll try it again.

Bottom line is managing your Data usage and going over to Comcast eventually on the Verizon Network is the best deal. IMHO Whew!
Old 07-25-2019, 05:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

If you are referring to reception IN a Fenney home, then you problem starts there. The OSB in the roof is foil lined. This interferes with the signal. To overcome this you need a cell signal ampp/antenna. available on Amazon.

If it is simply the signal strength then why use a phone that relies on one specific brand, this includes all carriers mentioned to this point.

Google Fi, yes that Google, offers fantastic coverage and service. The use TWO carriers, switching between the strongest signal. Pricing is also appealing.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:41 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
If you are referring to reception IN a Fenney home, then you problem starts there. The OSB in the roof is foil lined. This interferes with the signal. To overcome this you need a cell signal ampp/antenna. available on Amazon.

If it is simply the signal strength then why use a phone that relies on one specific brand, this includes all carriers mentioned to this point.

Google Fi, yes that Google, offers fantastic coverage and service. The use TWO carriers, switching between the strongest signal. Pricing is also appealing.
How do you know so much? What did you do in your other life?
Old 07-25-2019, 06:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
How do you know so much? What did you do in your other life?
The key to continually learning is listening. A skill that is in short supply. Reading diverse topics helps.

I award and administer contracts. A position which frequently places me between some technical expert w/o the ability to clearly express ideas and a generalist. Most of all I dislike being dragged through litigation to defend some engineering minutiae.

Most people will not get Google Fi, but for the OP it is ideal, better service and a pricing structure geared towards someone who is fiscally responsible with the added benefit of pricing caps.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:12 PM
fw102807

Quote:
The key to continually learning is listening. A skill that is in short supply. Reading diverse topics helps.

I award and administer contracts. A position which frequently places me between some technical expert w/o the ability to clearly express ideas and a generalist. Most of all I dislike being dragged through litigation to defend some engineering minutiae.

Most people will not get Google Fi, but for the OP it is ideal, better service and a pricing structure geared towards someone who is fiscally responsible with the added benefit of pricing caps.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,243 Posts

Quote:

The wall insulation is also foil lined (at least concrete block) so the entire homes in the new Villages are wrapped in aluminum foil.

Google Fi is very interesting, uses 3 carriers on their supported phones. Now works with iPhone/Android but just T-Mobile, no carrier switching on those devices.

I've wondered about using it with a hotspot device installed in the car for road trips.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	B30135D8-4B41-4100-AF74-F4DC21805ECE.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	80304  

Last edited by Altavia; 07-25-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:24 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I meant that once you are in The Verizon Web, you are stuck with them until you pay off the phone. I tried to pay off the Primary Phone and jump ship to Comcast early with no luck.

It makes sense though. With Verizon, if you time it correctly you get a new phone and then the second one for "Free". But you have to spend the entire Two Years With them UNTIL THE ORIGINAL PHONE IS PAID OFF. Otherwise, the Second Phone is NOT FREE ANYMORE. The illusion of having no contract is appealing but you actually have a leash on you for TWO YEARS. THEY ARE NOT STUPID.

If I didn't Splain this well I'll try it again.

Bottom line is managing your Data usage and going over to Comcast eventually on the Verizon Network is the best deal. IMHO Whew!
The only time you get a free phone is if you add a line.Least the last I checked
Old 07-25-2019, 07:28 PM

This is the final nail in the coffin for me... I get VERY POOR reception (see my post in the “Just for laughs” section) here in The Villages at our new home and... where I work there is NO AT&T service at all.... so it only make sense for me to switch. I will be going with Verizon. At home we will soon be on WiFi, so it really won’t matter (I can make WiFi calls and such), but at work it is Version or nothing. I will be on their service before the end of the week... after having been an AT&T member for the past 15 + years...
Old 07-25-2019, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
We travel a fair amount and the international coverage is a huge benefit for us (that, and the fact that we pay $60 per month for unlimited everything for the two of us on their 55+ or whatever plan ... ) Love it!

kathy

It's now $70 unless you have grandfathered (or grandmothered as the case might be) at the original rate. Great deal .....
Old 07-25-2019, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

If you have a concrete block home the best location ( with no foil foam insulation) is out side.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:05 PM
Veteran member

The foil insulation is not the main insulation but only on the outside of the "polyisocyanurate" foam on the outside of the concrete block. For all you who think you are more informed than anyone else.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
The foil insulation is not the main insulation but only on the outside of the "polyisocyanurate" foam on the outside of the concrete block. For all you who think you are more informed than anyone else.

If you look at the photo in my previous post above you will see Rmax R-Matte® Plus-3 Building Envelope Insulation installed as a thermal break on the interior side of concrete block of a home under construction in Monarch Grove.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...onry+Walls.pdf

Last edited by Altavia; 07-25-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
areas, south, network, coverage, carrier

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.