Best Home Warranty Company

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2018, 11:57 AM
Default Best Home Warranty Company

Can everyone please give me your response on a home warranty company you specifically used and are happy with or not happy with. Please no hear says.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Sage

None of them, they're betting nothing goes wrong and you're betting something goes wrong--save the $$ you would pay them, and you will be $$ ahead, the same goes for all extended warranties--use your credit card and all factory warranties are doubled-check exceptions
Old 06-17-2018, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Home warranties are a waste of money. All of them.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:07 PM
Sage

Maybe Consumer Reports has written an article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2018, 02:26 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,333 Times in 1,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Home warranties are a waste of money. All of them.
That's not true. My son, over a 3 year period had replaced free of charge 2 hot water tanks, 1 furnace, 1 whole house air conditioning unit, numerous garage door opener repairs and finally 2 new door openers, and best of all he had a high end refrigerator that died, the policy had a $2,500 limit for those and that is what he received towards a new one. His premiums for those three years were just under $1,800.00. We had very good experiences also, 3 furnace repairs, micro-wave replaced, and garage door opener replaced. Not as good as our son but it paid for itself. We never had a problem with a claim with the exception of it takes up to 24 hours to get someone out to check the problem. Both ours and our sons home were built in the mid 90's so we felt a need to have the coverage. Here in TV the homes are newer and don't know if it would be worth it.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
That's not true. My son, over a 3 year period had replaced free of charge 2 hot water tanks, 1 furnace, 1 whole house air conditioning unit, numerous garage door opener repairs and finally 2 new door openers, and best of all he had a high end refrigerator that died, the policy had a $2,500 limit for those and that is what he received towards a new one. His premiums for those three years were just under $1,800.00. We had very good experiences also, 3 furnace repairs, micro-wave replaced, and garage door opener replaced. Not as good as our son but it paid for itself. We never had a problem with a claim with the exception of it takes up to 24 hours to get someone out to check the problem. Both ours and our sons home were built in the mid 90's so we felt a need to have the coverage. Here in TV the homes are newer and don't know if it would be worth it.
What company do you and your son use? We have Choice Warranty on one of our rentals. Although we only had one small incident so far, they were very easy to contact and communicate with, and prompt in their response. I saw an article in a real estate magazine not too long ago that listed the top 5 best warranty companies and Choice was one of the ones listed. Unfortunately, I don't remember who the other 4 were. I'll have to see if I can retrieve that article and report back.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Sage

Choice Home Warranty is not BBB accredited and received over 900 negative customer reviews compared to only 100 positive reviews. The Internet is loaded with negative comments about the company.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-17-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:18 PM
Sage

American Home Shield. You will notice that the more you want covered the more it costs. Our son has a 4 car garage, 2 furnaces and AC's, 2 hot water tanks, high end fridge, etc. so his was a little higher in premium cost than ours. Our premiums were in the $450.00 range his was about $600.00. They don't even come out and inspect anything, they send you a contract, you give them a credit card and your covered. If you need them, they don't deny it, someone will be there within 24 hours.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Choice Home Warranty is not BBB acredited and received over 900 negative customer reviews compared to only 100 positive reviews. The Internet is loaded with negative comments about the company.
Thanks for your input. I'll take into consideration the customer reviews. As far as the BBB accreditation, I consider that a joke and never even bother to consider that when making a determination about an organization. That's just my own personal experience from knowing the inner workings of certain companies and the ratings placed on them by BBB. Not at all reliable in my book.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
American Home Shield. You will notice that the more you want covered the more it costs. Our son has a 4 car garage, 2 furnaces and AC's, 2 hot water tanks, high end fridge, etc. so his was a little higher in premium cost than ours. Our premiums were in the $450.00 range his was about $600.00. They don't even come out and inspect anything, they send you a contract, you give them a credit card and your covered. If you need them, they don't deny it, someone will be there within 24 hours.
Thank you. Will consider them in the future if our current warranty doesn't work out as expected, but so far so good.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Is that a yearly fee?
When you say your son paid $1800 and the refrigerator was $2500, what does that mean, exactly? Did he pay $1800 to cover the fridge alone, or was that his total bill for insurance? Which is more than $600, so I'm a little confused.
Do they cover everything at replacement cost?
Old 06-17-2018, 05:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Is that a yearly fee?
When you say your son paid $1800 and the refrigerator was $2500, what does that mean, exactly? Did he pay $1800 to cover the fridge alone, or was that his total bill for insurance? Which is more than $600, so I'm a little confused.
Do they cover everything at replacement cost?
I stated that his premium cost over that 3 year period was $1,800 the $600 and $450 figure is annual and is based on the coverage you choose.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:57 PM

We have American Home Shield. We had 3 claims last year all on new appliances. They replaced our washer, our heating and air conditioning (after 13 service calls) we were allotted $1000 toward a new unit and they replaced a water heater. They refused to replace our refrigerator (high end only 2 yrs old) as they said the problem was a design flaw. It was the ice maker. We ended up purchasing a new one. They raised our fee from $600 to $1400 a year due to our claim referrals. We are looking...
Old 06-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyandJohn View Post
We have American Home Shield. We had 3 claims last year all on new appliances. They replaced our washer, our heating and air conditioning (after 13 service calls) we were allotted $1000 toward a new unit and they replaced a water heater. They refused to replace our refrigerator (high end only 2 yrs old) as they said the problem was a design flaw. It was the ice maker. We ended up purchasing a new one. They raised our fee from $600 to $1400 a year due to our claim referrals. We are looking...
This just proves my point that these home warranties are not worth buying. If you own a house, you should be prepared to pay out of pocket for the repair and replacement of the appliances when they break down. That way, you have complete flexibility to hire who you want to do the work. A home warranty locks you in to dealing with one company that is not in the business of fixing things. They are in the business of selling warranties and making money by denying claims.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
This just proves my point that these home warranties are not worth buying. If you own a house, you should be prepared to pay out of pocket for the repair and replacement of the appliances when they break down. That way, you have complete flexibility to hire who you want to do the work. A home warranty locks you in to dealing with one company that is not in the business of fixing things. They are in the business of selling warranties and making money by denying claims.
How does that prove your point? We never had a problem with a claim nor did our son. It might make a difference where you live. Our repair people were all local to the town in which we lived, quality people in all cases.
Closed Thread

Tags
happy, company, home, warranty, advance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.