Best method to shop for new home when staying with Florida fsmily

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Sally Love cannot show you re-sales that are The Villages listings, she can only show you MLS re-sales. I would suggest getting in touch with Beth Pope 352-552-1511, she and her husband Todd and daughter Kelly are all Villages Sales Professionals and they can show you new and re-sale Villages real estate homes.
To clarify a bit, you need one of each; an MLS realtor for resales that are not listed with Villages sales reps, and a Villages sales rep for new houses and resales that are listed with The Villages.

When we put our first house on the market, we listed it with a Villages sales rep--the one who sold us the house new. An MLS realtor could not have shown our house. It worked out well for us selling, but if you are looking for a resale, you should work with both kinds of realtors, Villages and MLS. You will see more houses that way.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Default Best method to shop for new home when staying with Florida fsmily

I don't know for sure but I'd be willing to bet that no other area in our country has a for profit organization brokering residential real estate apart and separate from the local MLS excluding any and all outside brokers and in the process acquiring a 70% resale market share and a 100% new construction share. This practice inhibits the fair and balanced way residential real estate is bought and sold elsewhere throughout our country. They, the Villages don't play well with the other kids.
I can negotiate a selling commission with any MLS broker down to 3% but the Villages resale division is non-negotiable. With them it's 6% or the highway unless you do a sell/buy transaction with them which will then rebate 1% of the sale price which is not paid at closing, rather it's delivered in the form of a check several weeks after the closing.
On another note I'm not a fan of a strictly linear commission. A 600K house cost markets at a minimally higher cost than a 300K one. DOM currently is at 27 within the 32163 zip code. It doesn't take a marketing wizard to sell a house here. 36K vs 18K? I won't be suckered into that.
I am a homeowner, real estate is not and has never been my trade but I do observe quite well and have saved a ton of money in the process and my broker was paid appropriately fair.
I don't care about the realtor vs selling agent thing. I'm a big boy and can watch out for myself, don't need a fiduciary relationship so kudos to the Villages.

Bottom line, it's a real PITA not having the ability to one stop shop with any MLS broker of your choosing.

Last edited by PrudentLifer; 10-02-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:52 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

Be sure to ascertain ahead of time that the Villages agent you are assigned or select is willing and able to show you resales. Mine essentially refused to show me any resales, just told me to drive myself around and call him if I found one. He kept steering me only to new spec construction as that is their primary selling mission: market what the developer has built that is sitting there waiting for a buyer. It is my understanding Villages agents make more on sales of new homes than on resales.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-02-2019, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrudentLifer View Post
I don't know for sure but I'd be willing to bet that no other area in our country has a for profit organization brokering residential real estate apart and separate from the local MLS excluding any and all outside brokers and in the process acquiring a 70% resale market share and a 100% new construction share. This practice inhibits the fair and balanced way residential real estate is bought and sold elsewhere throughout our country. They, the Villages don't play well with the other kids.
I can negotiate a selling commission with any MLS broker down to 3% but the Villages resale division is non-negotiable. With them it's 6% or the highway unless you do a sell/buy transaction with them which will then rebate 1% of the sale price which is not paid at closing, rather it's delivered in the form of a check several weeks after the closing.
On another note I'm not a fan of a strictly linear commission. A 600K house cost markets at a minimally higher cost than a 300K one. DOM currently is at 27 within the 32163 zip code. It doesn't take a marketing wizard to sell a house here. 36K vs 18K? I won't be suckered into that.
I am a homeowner, real estate is not and has never been my trade but I do observe quite well and have saved a ton of money in the process and my broker was paid appropriately fair.
I don't care about the realtor vs selling agent thing. I'm a big boy and can watch out for myself, don't need a fiduciary relationship so kudos to the Villages.

Bottom line, it's a real PITA not having the ability to one stop shop with any MLS broker of your choosing.
I'll bet you are a realtor no matter the disclaimer. The only folks with a gripe are the folks who don't get to sell new homes. I don't blame The Villages for not sharing when they don't have to.

I don't blame people for selling their own home without a realtor.

I'm not real nuts about realtors. Nice thing about The Villages reps they don't sell hard. They don't have to. Jim McLaughlin sold us both our homes. And he showed us resales too. He is a smart and kind man and his wife Patty is a dear soul as well.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-02-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:44 PM
Sage

When any developer builds a “development,” he/the company, owns those homes, correct? Been involved in buying NEW homes in developments here in FL and out west...only could buy new homes from the builder/developer/owner. I can’t imagine that owners would have others selling their new homes.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I'll bet you are a realtor no matter the disclaimer. The only folks with a gripe are the folks who don't get to sell new homes. I don't blame The Villages for not sharing when they don't have to.

I don't blame people for selling their own home without a realtor.

I'm not real nuts about realtors. Nice thing about The Villages reps they don't sell hard. They don't have to. Jim McLaughlin sold us both our homes. And he showed us resales too. He is a smart and kind man and his wife Patty is a dear soul as well.

I have no beef with the Villages reps or Realtors. They do what they have to do and so do I. Recognizing how "things" work around here is not a liability but a very valuable asset that I pass on to newbies I meet every chance I get. Again, a fair trade is what we all want in our quest for a new home sweet home.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:47 PM
Default Best method to shop for new home when staying with Florida fsmily

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
When any developer builds a “development,” he/the company, owns those homes, correct? Been involved in buying NEW homes in developments here in FL and out west...only could buy new homes from the builder/developer/owner. I can’t imagine that owners would have others selling their new homes.

Pulte, Neil, DeVosta, Lennar all list within the MLS system. The Villages does not.

Last edited by PrudentLifer; 10-02-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Pulte, Neil, DeVosta all list within the MLS system. The Villages does not.
Then one can assume it was a choice on their part to use outside sellers? One cannot assume other companies have to do this. Is there a reason? Are sales slow?? We don’t know for certain, do we? Not sure what the problem is with the developers here selling their own homes...it is their right to do so. People do have the ability to buy land, build homes, offer them for sale...happens all over the country...and those who do, have the right to sell their homes in the manner they prefer....with their own agents or by enlisting others. Not sure why this whole idea of any individual/company selling their goods under their conditions is a problem. We/you/they as buyers, have a choice....buy what’s offered from the seller, or continue to look somewhere else...no one is forced to buy, here or anywhere else.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Then one can assume it was a choice on their part to use outside sellers? One cannot assume other companies have to do this. Is there a reason? Are sales slow?? We don’t know for certain, do we? Not sure what the problem is with the developers here selling their own homes...it is their right to do so. People do have the ability to buy land, build homes, offer them for sale...happens all over the country...and those who do, have the right to sell their homes in the manner they prefer....with their own agents or by enlisting others. Not sure why this whole idea of any individual/company selling their goods under their conditions is a problem. We/you/they as buyers, have a choice....buy what’s offered from the seller, or continue to look somewhere else...no one is forced to buy, here or anywhere else.

I'm not selling a conspiracy. What I don't like is when the "big" guy on the block does as they please with no regard for others in the trade, because they can. I'm not going as far as an abuse of power but I have always been on David's side, and others like him.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'm not selling a conspiracy. What I don't like is when the "big" guy on the block does as they please with no regard for others in the trade, because they can. I'm not going as far as an abuse of power but I have always been on David's side, and others like him.
Does as he pleases? Really? Think about it....if you were selling anything, successfully, would you feel you have to let others sell whatever it is you have? The whole point is developers in any field, may actually own their product/plans/patents and whether we like it or not, it is their right to sell/market as they choose. We may not like it, and obviously, you do not in this instance, but again, they’ve worked hard and continue to do so....something we see with successful companies/entrepreneurs.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Does as he pleases? Really? Think about it....if you were selling anything, successfully, would you feel you have to let others sell whatever it is you have? The whole point is developers in any field, may actually own their product/plans/patents and whether we like it or not, it is their right to sell/market as they choose. We may not like it, and obviously, you do not in this instance, but again, they’ve worked hard and continue to do so....something we see with successful companies/entrepreneurs.

When the monopoly antitrust cases went south for AT&T and north for IBM the lawyers on both cases were toasting with champagne.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
When the monopoly antitrust cases went south for AT&T and north for IBM the lawyers on both cases were toasting with champagne.
Surely you are not comparing this development and developer to AT&T..... Do you forsee an uprising?
Old 10-02-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Surely you are not comparing this development and developer to AT&T..... Do you forsee an uprising?

Heck no. Everybody makes money 'cept for the little people.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Heck no. Everybody makes money 'cept for the little people.
Maybe, but maybe not.... Now that we’ve taken this thread totally off topic, if discussion continues, it probably should be in a new thread.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but maybe not.... Now that we’ve taken this thread totally off topic, if discussion continues, it probably should be in a new thread.

Your fault, you kept enabling me.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, gain, visit, method, shop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.