Best method to shop for new home when staying with Florida fsmily

Best method to shop for new home when staying with Florida fsmily

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 10-02-2019, 11:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepgator View Post
Is there a suggested method to shop for a new home when staying with family in Florida on a visit? Do you need to contact a realtor or is it possible to gain entrance to visit the Villages sales office? Or can one gain access to just drive around to get an overall first impression?
Be prepared to be overwhelmed. First try to get the sales stuff sent to you before you come here. This is a very large area. It was built from the top (northeast to the bottom, south. It is newer as you go south with some exceptions. Our Village is in the middle and it is only eight years old.

Study the three general types of homes. Ranchesand Patio Villas are the smallest and least expensive after the modular homes that are only found in the parts north east of 441/27. Designers represents the predominant type and size of home people choose here. They are from about 1600 sq. ft to close to 2500 sq ft. Premiers are usually from around 2200 sq ft to sometimes close to 5000 sq. ft.

The price range of all homes here is from around 100K to more than a million dollars, but they all have the same amenity fee of about $150 dollars a month.

We thought at first that it would be easier to leave a Courtyard Villa that is fenced in and has a small yard because we were snow birds when we were looking for a first home. We were sure that is what we wanted. We had looked at many on line, New and used.

We bought a new designer, a Camilla, in Hadley and enjoyed it for four years and then had built the home we live in now full time.

Take your time. Find reasons to return and rent if possible. If you make a mistake and want a different home size or view, homes here are easy to sell.

I do not and have never sold real estate. Get a Villages Sales rep and a MLS realtor and have Frank D'Angelo on speed dial.

I am EXTREMELY BIASED toward living here.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-02-2019 at 05:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to graciegirl For This Useful Post:

Old 10-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

The first time we were here, we were driving through after spotting a sign on I-75. We stopped into the sales office at Sumter Landing and met one of the sales persons. She took us on a tour and gave us lots of information. No pressure or sales talk. Just a nice tour. I recommend doing this. You might want to call for an appointment.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2019, 01:01 PM
Gold member

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
If its brand new house, get in touch with a Villages sales person, if its a resale give Sally Love a shout
Sally Love cannot show you re-sales that are The Villages listings, she can only show you MLS re-sales. I would suggest getting in touch with Beth Pope 352-552-1511, she and her husband Todd and daughter Kelly are all Villages Sales Professionals and they can show you new and re-sale Villages real estate homes.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
If you plan to live in TV full time, you might want to see it in different seasons too. You are smart to check in here for help, I did the same and so far I’ve gotten great advice (most of the time). Also if you follow TOTV for awhile you get to see what the local concerns and solutions are. You also get a sense of the kind of people you might meet.
Omigosh. Please don't take TOTV as indicative of The Villages residents. Remember it is a social media forum, and people take advantage of their anonymity to speak more forcefully than they would in a face-to-face situation. Myself included.

TV really is a friendly place, and people you meet are for the most part going to be enjoyable and neighborly.

Velvet makes a point: come to visit in different seasons, summer especially. Summer is very hot and humid. Most get used to it; some don't. My favorite times are winter and spring or fall: winter because the cooler weather really suits my Pennsylvania/Michigan bones, and spring and fall because it is calm and quiet.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:00 PM
Sage

As Gracie mentioned above, get the sales packet in the mail with video and look it over. Here'a link to the request page.

Request a Free Video Tour of The Villages(R) Homes & Lifestyle
Old 10-02-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Sally Love cannot show you re-sales that are The Villages listings, she can only show you MLS re-sales. I would suggest getting in touch with Beth Pope 352-552-1511, she and her husband Todd and daughter Kelly are all Villages Sales Professionals and they can show you new and re-sale Villages real estate homes.
To clarify a bit, you need one of each; an MLS realtor for resales that are not listed with Villages sales reps, and a Villages sales rep for new houses and resales that are listed with The Villages.

When we put our first house on the market, we listed it with a Villages sales rep--the one who sold us the house new. An MLS realtor could not have shown our house. It worked out well for us selling, but if you are looking for a resale, you should work with both kinds of realtors, Villages and MLS. You will see more houses that way.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:55 PM

Default Best method to shop for new home when staying with Florida fsmily

I don't know for sure but I'd be willing to bet that no other area in our country has a for profit organization brokering residential real estate apart and separate from the local MLS excluding any and all outside brokers and in the process acquiring a 70% resale market share and a 100% new construction share. This practice inhibits the fair and balanced way residential real estate is bought and sold elsewhere throughout our country. They, the Villages don't play well with the other kids.
I can negotiate a selling commission with any MLS broker down to 3% but the Villages resale division is non-negotiable. With them it's 6% or the highway unless you do a sell/buy transaction with them which will then rebate 1% of the sale price which is not paid at closing, rather it's delivered in the form of a check several weeks after the closing.
On another note I'm not a fan of a strictly linear commission. A 600K house cost markets at a minimally higher cost than a 300K one. DOM currently is at 27 within the 32163 zip code. It doesn't take a marketing wizard to sell a house here. 36K vs 18K? I won't be suckered into that.
I am a homeowner, real estate is not and has never been my trade but I do observe quite well and have saved a ton of money in the process and my broker was paid appropriately fair.
I don't care about the realtor vs selling agent thing. I'm a big boy and can watch out for myself, don't need a fiduciary relationship so kudos to the Villages.

Bottom line, it's a real PITA not having the ability to one stop shop with any MLS broker of your choosing.

Last edited by PrudentLifer; 10-02-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:52 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA, ID and finally FL.

Be sure to ascertain ahead of time that the Villages agent you are assigned or select is willing and able to show you resales. Mine essentially refused to show me any resales, just told me to drive myself around and call him if I found one. He kept steering me only to new spec construction as that is their primary selling mission: market what the developer has built that is sitting there waiting for a buyer. It is my understanding Villages agents make more on sales of new homes than on resales.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-02-2019, 07:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrudentLifer View Post
I don't know for sure but I'd be willing to bet that no other area in our country has a for profit organization brokering residential real estate apart and separate from the local MLS excluding any and all outside brokers and in the process acquiring a 70% resale market share and a 100% new construction share. This practice inhibits the fair and balanced way residential real estate is bought and sold elsewhere throughout our country. They, the Villages don't play well with the other kids.
I can negotiate a selling commission with any MLS broker down to 3% but the Villages resale division is non-negotiable. With them it's 6% or the highway unless you do a sell/buy transaction with them which will then rebate 1% of the sale price which is not paid at closing, rather it's delivered in the form of a check several weeks after the closing.
On another note I'm not a fan of a strictly linear commission. A 600K house cost markets at a minimally higher cost than a 300K one. DOM currently is at 27 within the 32163 zip code. It doesn't take a marketing wizard to sell a house here. 36K vs 18K? I won't be suckered into that.
I am a homeowner, real estate is not and has never been my trade but I do observe quite well and have saved a ton of money in the process and my broker was paid appropriately fair.
I don't care about the realtor vs selling agent thing. I'm a big boy and can watch out for myself, don't need a fiduciary relationship so kudos to the Villages.

Bottom line, it's a real PITA not having the ability to one stop shop with any MLS broker of your choosing.
I'll bet you are a realtor no matter the disclaimer. The only folks with a gripe are the folks who don't get to sell new homes. I don't blame The Villages for not sharing when they don't have to.

I don't blame people for selling their own home without a realtor.

I'm not real nuts about realtors. Nice thing about The Villages reps they don't sell hard. They don't have to. Jim McLaughlin sold us both our homes. And he showed us resales too. He is a smart and kind man and his wife Patty is a dear soul as well.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-02-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:44 PM
Sage

When any developer builds a “development,” he/the company, owns those homes, correct? Been involved in buying NEW homes in developments here in FL and out west...only could buy new homes from the builder/developer/owner. I can’t imagine that owners would have others selling their new homes.

Tags
florida, gain, visit, method, shop