The best retirement villages in America

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2018, 01:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
Solivita is very nice, has a real gated entry, not a button to push as here. Also well managed, speed controls and not a spot of a bar and heavy drinking on every corner. Insde Pool and running track.

Also,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, strict controls on children, only allowed in pools certain hours and this is ENFORCED.
Del Webb near Orlando is nice too.

It is what’s OUTSIDE that makes Solavita ao awful.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
The article says that homes in TV are available in a range of price points but the home they show in the pics is over $400k. That would lead many people to believe that 400k is the median home price which, of course, is not the case at all.

And who would want to retire in Chicago unless you had to live near your kids or something. I doubt anyone who is NOT from Chicago would retire there. Most retirees want warm weather and low taxes.

kathy
Quote:
The article says that homes in TV are available in a range of price points but the home they show in the pics is over $400k. That would lead many people to believe that 400k is the median home price which, of course, is not the case at all.

And who would want to retire in Chicago unless you had to live near your kids or something. I doubt anyone who is NOT from Chicago would retire there. Most retirees want warm weather and low taxes.

kathy
While in Chicago last month I decided to visit the Loyola University Water Tower campus and where the student union used to be stood The Clare. I cannot begin to imagine what it costs to live there. But having spent many winters going to school there with the wind ripping through the highrises off Lake Michigan all I can say is: The Villages is the place to be. Easy livin' is the life for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2018, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:

kathy
I have lived in the Chicago area for 38 years; I have never heard of anyone retiring to Chicago from somewhere else unless it was to be closer to their children or another relative. And this is one pre-retiree who wants warmer weather and lower taxes. That's not happening in Chicago. I have considered the Phoenix area, but I don't know if I could deal with Arizona summers. Some of these "best retirement locations lists" are less than believable.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Solivita is very nice, has a real gated entry, not a button to push as here. Also well managed, speed controls and not a spot of a bar and heavy drinking on every corner. Insde Pool and running track.
New here. The wife and I are just starting our search for where to go once we are empty nesters.

Of all the places we've researched (and I can't say that is very many or very extensive yet) TV has the best online presence. The main TV site is full of information about the LIFESTYLE & COMMUNITY, and they have the Daily Sun. Then there is this forum, and the guys doing YouTube videos. I haven't found anywhere else even close.

Solivita is another place that's caught my eye, but their website is terrible, and their HOA site is all locked up behind logins. It's very hard to inform prospective buyers about your activities & lifestyle when all the info is locked away. And Solivita's main site makes it clear it is one of many developments by the builder. That doesn't speak of a big commitment to Solivita to me.

The wife & I are not looking for a nice house - there are millions of those available (we live in one). We're looking for an active social community & amenities that many other places seem to offer lip-service to, but TV seems to really focus on and have.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:

Also,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, strict controls on children, only allowed in pools certain hours and this is ENFORCED.
Del Webb near Orlando is nice too.

Sounds like the place to be for those that have the listed items high on their list.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD View Post
The best retirement villages in America

The Villages is on the list BUT behind Solavita!!
That ain't right!
Old 11-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Thanks Ed. Bridgeport was the "armpit:" of the country.

Like night and day compared to TV. IMHO
It was pretty strange to see that some of the nicest, most upscale housing in The Villages was in the Village of Bridgeport. Can't get over the negative imagery. If you ever lived in Connecticut, you would know what I mean.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Platinum member

These types of articles should be viewed with a bit of suspicion. First of all, they are "clickbait". Secondly, the authors are uninformed. I have two relatives who are paid travel bloggers and rarely leave home. They get all their content to include photos and restaurant/hotel/cruise line recommendations off the internet. One of them wrote a piece of clickbait about the best sandwich in each state but has never traveled West of the Mississippi.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That ain't right!
The slide show didn't seem to be in any ranking order. Each place got four slides. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were paid for.

P.S. Based on the slide show I went and checked out Sun City HHI's web site. Not terrible. Their calendar was mostly vendors coming to sell stuff - medicare info, financial advisors, etc. There was a room reservation schedule that looked pretty full of clubs & activities, though.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
What makes something a village and when is it no longer a village?
The name of our community is The VILLAGES. Please note the S at the end of villages. The concept is to have many villages grouped together in order to keep a village feel. Personally I think this concept works.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
New here. The wife and I are just starting our search for where to go once we are empty nesters.

Of all the places we've researched (and I can't say that is very many or very extensive yet) TV has the best online presence. The main TV site is full of information about the LIFESTYLE & COMMUNITY, and they have the Daily Sun. Then there is this forum, and the guys doing YouTube videos. I haven't found anywhere else even close.

Solivita is another place that's caught my eye, but their website is terrible, and their HOA site is all locked up behind logins. It's very hard to inform prospective buyers about your activities & lifestyle when all the info is locked away. And Solivita's main site makes it clear it is one of many developments by the builder. That doesn't speak of a big commitment to Solivita to me.

The wife & I are not looking for a nice house - there are millions of those available (we live in one). We're looking for an active social community & amenities that many other places seem to offer lip-service to, but TV seems to really focus on and have.

I think it is time for you and the wife to come and visit. It is very hard to understand how smoothly this place happens and how nice it is by reading a Forum on line.

When you visit you should attend the class about the CDD and how this place works.

You also need to realize that rec centers and recreation facilities and golf courses are added as The Village grows. And potential volunteers move in with each new batch of newbies. Perhaps you have a skill to share?

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-18-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, solavita, list, retirement, america

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.