Best Time to Buy

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

In my experience there is a season to sell a home just as there is to sell a car.

According to Zillow:

"The best time to sell your home is between May 1 and May 15. Nationally, homes sold in the first half of May sell about 18.5 days faster and for 1 percent more than the average listing. That means an average premium of $1,700 for the seller of a median home."

Now, The Villages, being a Florida retirement 55+ community likely runs somewhat countercyclically to this. If I were a seller I would definitely get my house on the market during snowbird season, in early to mid January as that is when the most potential buyers are around. If I were a buyer I would focus on looking for newly listed homes during the less populous season in The Villages, May - October. Of course a buyer can find a home to buy in TV any time of year as people are moving to other homes in the community (upsizing, downsizing or just relocating), back home, to assisted living or... The main thing as a buyer is to keep your eyes open. To me finding a home is like going fishing where if I do not have my line in the water I am unable to catch a fish. I have both bought the first home I looked at and looked for a year before finding what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. You just never know.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-15-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We sold our house in a day the beginning of March. There were two offers from that one day on the market, both over price; both renters down for the season. Two renters we knew in the area bought houses before they left to go back home. Those houses were only on the market a few days. This is only anecdotal on my part. But it seems like the off season would at least give you less competition and more time to make a decision.

The two renters we knew had never been to TV before. They were smitten and made a snap decision. I wonder if that happens a lot during the season.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The two renters we knew had never been to TV before. They were smitten and made a snap decision. I wonder if that happens a lot during the season.
We know a very nice couple who came to TV to visit. They were "smitten" with the place and bought a house near us.

A year one of them realized they missed their friends and family so they sold their house in TV and moved back up north.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We sold our house in a day the beginning of March. There were two offers from that one day on the market, both over price; both renters down for the season. Two renters we knew in the area bought houses before they left to go back home. Those houses were only on the market a few days. This is only anecdotal on my part. But it seems like the off season would at least give you less competition and more time to make a decision.

I can definitely understand a first time visitor or renter without any previous thought or intention to buy impulsively purchasing a home in TV. While driving there for my first visit I spied a TV water tower standing proud over a sea of golf course grass and was stupified - even before I had an opportunity to drink the Kool-Aid.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-15-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We know a very nice couple who came to TV to visit. They were "smitten" with the place and bought a house near us.

A year one of them realized they missed their friends and family so they sold their house in TV and moved back up north.
I'm sure that happens. I was speaking to "the best time to house hunt in TV," not if buyers came to regret their snap decisions.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spice12725 View Post
Is there a better time to buy a house? My husband and I are coming in a few weeks. Is the housing stock lower now? Would it be better to look in the Winter when the "snowbirds" are around?
Thanks!
Bernadette,
Anytime is a good time to buy. You should probably try the Lifestyle visit, at various times of the year. The summers get hot, winters get cold, but not as bad as shoveling snow in cold Michigan.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa View Post
Bernadette,
Anytime is a good time to buy. You should probably try the Lifestyle visit, at various times of the year. The summers get hot, winters get cold, but not as bad as shoveling snow in cold Michigan.
Winter?
4-6 weeks in January.....most years anyway.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

I would say the off season is better, plenty of inventory and less competition. However, pick the house you want and then buy it. Several villages realtors have told me they take vacations in May because it is the slowest month, not sure that is true. You can look at the pending sales on TV website right now and there are a LOT of them... a LOT.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 05-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spice12725 View Post
Is there a better time to buy a house? My husband and I are coming in a few weeks. Is the housing stock lower now? Would it be better to look in the Winter when the "snowbirds" are around?
Thanks!
Do you need to sell your house to buy another?
Old 05-16-2018, 07:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Winter?
4-6 weeks in January.....most years anyway.
Which is, IMO, a nice break. You get to wear your jeans and sometimes dig out that really nifty winter coat you couldn't part with when you moved to Florida.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:23 AM

It's probably not based on time rather than what you want and the neighborhood you want to live in. There are very desirable neighborhoods that rarely have something for sale and if they do, they go fast. So, IMHO, best time (after doing a lifestyle program and if you do not find one there) is wait for your pick, since you will have to be in it, and jump quick.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:37 AM
Sage

Another thing you might do is find and connect with a Villages agent for VLS listings and a Realtor for MLS listings while you are down. Become as familiar as possible with TV's layout, its housing styles and their pricing. After you decide on what parameters are most important to you provide both the Villages agent and the Realtor your list of wants, must haves, can't stands and so on. Ask them to email you listings that they think you would consider. Be careful in choosing the Villages agent and the Realtor. Be sure they are willing to work with you this way. Some if not most may not be willing to put in the time and effort.

My daughter is moving to Maryland from California. She attended college in Washington, DC and spent a lot of time in Maryland during and after college so she is familiar with the area. She contacted a friend from college who recommended a Realtor. The Realtor emailed my daughter listings to consider. My daughter soon made an offer on one subject to contingencies after the realtor looked at it for her. My daughter then flew over there, checked it out, did her due diligence and will close on it June 15! So, this can work!

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-16-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Best time???.............when you find a house you want.
This is true. The market here isn't like what it might be back home. In the midwest it was always late Winter up til about July. Theory was people wanted to get out and about and find something and move before the kids were in school. I don't think that is the case in our community.
Closed Thread

Tags
buy, time, winter, snowbirds, lower

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.