Beware of Comcast, a Personal Opinion

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Unfortunately, for those of us in Lake County, there is really no other option unless you want to get a dish. I have spoken to several people that have dishes and although a few are happy, most tell me horror stories about losing their television for hours and extremely slow internet.

Unfortunately, Comcast provides the best signal and if you want decent speed internet and good quality, dependable television you have to put up with their crap.

The problem, as I see it, is that the competition is not at the consumer level. These companies compete to cover towns or counties.

From what I understand, people south of 466 have the option of signing up for Brighthouse and seem thrilled about it. I only wish that we could get it here. I would dump Comcast in a heartbeat. But, until something better comes along, they have us at their mercy.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:19 PM

Across the street from Walmart. Plaza that sits behind CVS I believe
Old 02-14-2015, 01:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by delima2000 View Post
In the shopping center across the street from walmarts. It is behind McDonalds and CVS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynitsche View Post
Across the street from Walmart. Plaza that sits behind CVS I believe

Old 02-18-2015, 08:06 PM
Veteran member

I'm south of 466 and want to know which is better and why, Brighthouse or Centurylink?

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 02-18-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
I'm south of 466 and want to know which is better and why, Brighthouse or Centurylink?
I had Brighthouse for a year and a half for phone and internet. I have Directv for television. I changed my phone service to Ooma ($3 a month) and when I called Brighthouse to ask them how much my bill would be reduced. They told me zero reduction. I would still be paying $55 a month for 15 MPS internet. I went to Comcast for $39.99 I am getting 50 MPS for a year with no contract. During my 1&1/2 yrs with Brighthouse I had them out to the house 5 times for problems with the connection constantly dropping. However I will say they have the friendliest customer service of all the cable companies.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post

I don't believe you can get BrightHouse unless you are south of 466A
Old 02-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Platinum member

Tried to call Comcast to cancel the tv service. When I got to the point in the phone tree of saying I wanted to discontinue a service they hung up - 3 times! So far we are happy with Direct TV - great picture. Now we need to explore Internet and phone. Need to review posts on Century Link. Happily took our cable box, adapters and remotes to the Comcast office today. The associate was not going to give me a receipt until I asked for it.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:20 PM
Veteran member

I'm south of 466 A and want to know which is better and why, Brighthouse or CentryLink?

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 02-19-2015, 07:06 AM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

We moved south of 466A last fall and decided to go with Bright House. We initially had problems with the internet going out, but they were quick to respond. Everything has worked well since then. Customer service is much better than Comcast. Our Net Talk telephone works much better over Bright House. Voice quality over Comcast was usually garbled. So far, thumbs up.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We are south of 466. When I went to DirectTV which we really like I kept Comcast for internet. It is VERY SLOw.and I called them and they said it would cost another $10 (from about $40 to $50) for a faster internet. I called Direct TV and they said they use Century Link and it would about $35 a month for the first year and then go to $75 a month. I also called Brighthouse and they want $58 a mont. It seems there a lot of "rips" and Century is the worst. I will probably stay with Comcast BUT and a big BUT I hate to get back to Comcast as as soon as you open the door they start raising prices, providing lousy customer service and frustrating the heck out of you.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have CenturyLink. 40 Mbps download/20 Mbps upload for $45/month. This includes all taxes, fees, and router rental. It is good for a year then I have to call up and get the next "deal". This is my second "deal".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
We are south of 466. When I went to DirectTV which we really like I kept Comcast for internet. It is VERY SLOw.and I called them and they said it would cost another $10 (from about $40 to $50) for a faster internet. I called Direct TV and they said they use Century Link and it would about $35 a month for the first year and then go to $75 a month. I also called Brighthouse and they want $58 a mont. It seems there a lot of "rips" and Century is the worst. I will probably stay with Comcast BUT and a big BUT I hate to get back to Comcast as as soon as you open the door they start raising prices, providing lousy customer service and frustrating the heck out of you.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.