BEWARE Famlily Furnture Galleries, Leesburg, FL

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2021, 04:16 PM
Default BEWARE Famlily Furnture Galleries, Leesburg, FL

In May 2017 we purchased a five piece reclining media set at a cost of $3865 from
Family Furniture Galleries, 8626 US Hwy 441, Leesburg, FL 34788. There were two misrepresentations made by Family Furniture sales staff.
First, we were assured by the sales representative and the sales manager that this manufacturer (El Ran) made the highest quality products. Second, we were sold a 5 year warranty that was represented as covering all perils to the fabric.
After only 3 years, the fabric began to separate, crack and split (photos available). When notifying the warranty company, we were informed that this was normal wear and tear and therefore not covered. I do not believe that almost $4000 of high quality furniture should disintegrate in this fashion in 3 years. Upon contacting the manufacturer, we were again told that only 3 years was the expected life of their product.
We then contacted Family Furniture directly for satisfaction. We were told that they had no responsibly but would give us a discounted price of $400 to re-cover the damaged products. We paid the $400 in advance but the items have never been satisfactorily repaired.
First Family sent out their in-house repair person with pre-made fabric to recover. He did a terrible job leaving seats at different heights and severe wrinkles in the fabric that he stretched improperly. After complaining, Family Furniture agreed to send out out a private repair company. Their 2 repair people told us specifically that the first repair person (from Family Furniture) did a terrible job and that he had destroyed the original replacement fabric by stretching it improperly and that it could not be saved. They stated that new fabric would have to be ordered.
Since then, without any further repair attempt, Family Furniture has stated that the repair is complete and that they have no further obligation.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Another example of extended warranties in action and failing.

Sorry it happened to the OP
Old 10-21-2021, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Sorry for your problems. But, I would never buy an extended warranty on anything, especially furniture. That is a ripoff profit maker for all furniture salespeople. I don't think any furniture today is high quality, and $4,000 is not a lot for a 5 piece set of reclining furniture. I understand your issues, but I don't think another furniture store would have handled it any better. My opinion.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 10-21-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:45 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesser160@aol.com View Post
First, we were assured by the sales representative and the sales manager that this manufacturer (El Ran) made the highest quality products. .

If you are truly buying the HIGHEST quality, you would know the cost is closer to $40,000.

Their website does not discuss high (forget highest) quality, just value & pricing.

Their focus is competing with Babette's across the street.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Interesting because I had a SIMILAR but OPPOSITE experience with FAMILY FURNITURE just 2 months ago. I bought KNOWINGLY INEXPENSIVE (because we couldn't afford "the best" and knew from shopping around that a "motion" sofa and "motion" loveseat set for $3000 was far from "the best") furniture from them when we moved in here in Feb 2017. No matter what a salesman says should always be considered "puffing." The best furniture, the best tires, blah blah blah.

ANYWAY we also took out the useless warranty (knowing nomal wear and tear is never covered by any warranty) because there were LOTS of motors and switches and about 2 months ago the foam & filling on our 3 1/2 year old 2 reclining seats on the sofa collapsed (my wife is 95lbs and I am about 2x that). Called the warranty company and they to refused the repair because the fine print says it isn't covered. Had I spilled coffee on it, or tore it with a knife, or hemorrhaged on it it would have been covered (which was in the back of my mind after they declined).

Called Family Furniture and told them the warranty company wouldn't cover it so they immediately sent out their guy to check it out, they immediately ordered replacement foam & dacron filling and the day after the stuff came in had someone come out and repair it which required removal of the upholstery without a single attempt to ask for any payment (I was more than willing to pay for it and they knew it). The upholstery was "re-applied" perfectly as well.

2 similar experiences with 2 different outcomes. I'd buy from them again in a second. The furniture brand was "Southern Motion". Could it have been a different attitude in the approach to the dealer?
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 10-21-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

1992 we had 2 couches custom made in Canada with Premium leather. Cost $4,000 each. Warranty for free by company as long as we owned the couches. Both couches are still in great condition, except a small squiggly line drawn with sharpie by our young granddaughter.

Every year we had leather conditioned, and one repair to a seam which one could never pick out. I can’t imagine what the cost would be if we had them duplicated today
Old 10-21-2021, 08:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Sorry for your problems. But, I would never buy an extended warranty on anything, especially furniture. That is a ripoff profit maker for all furniture salespeople. I don't think any furniture today is high quality, and $4,000 is not a lot for a 5 piece set of reclining furniture. I understand your issues, but I don't think another furniture store would have handled it any better. My opinion.
Bought from babettes, never had any problems with fixing anything. If they couldn’t fix it then they replaced it.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
Bought from babettes, never had any problems with fixing anything. If they couldn’t fix it then they replaced it.
After 3 years? I agree that Babettes has great customer service. But, there aren't many furniture stores who are going to fix fabric failures after 3 years. They are going to claim that it is wear and tear. How can you guarantee a fabric against all perils?
Old 10-22-2021, 05:17 AM
Veteran member

I can't imagine paying $4000 or more for living room couch/recliners. Should have gone to Kent furniture in Belleview
Old 10-22-2021, 05:20 AM

extended warranties are for suckers.

that being said, expensive furniture should last. We had one sofa that didn't really show a lot of age until after 20 years. you got ripped off, yes. the mark-ups in the furniture industry are insane
Old 10-22-2021, 05:32 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,296 Times in 557 Posts

was the furniture made in Asia?
Replacement sofa is sitting on a boat... start your chainsaw , cut your old sofa in half and have a new Baraca-lounger delivered....
Old 10-22-2021, 06:20 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
was the furniture made in Asia?
Replacement sofa is sitting on a boat... start your chainsaw , cut your old sofa in half and have a new Baraca-lounger delivered....
Old 10-22-2021, 06:44 AM
Default Family furniture, had just the opposite experience

After three years using, they came and replaced two pieces due to cracking leather… cost $7….
Would definitely use them again
Old 10-22-2021, 07:06 AM
Default I would like to know the name brand of your furniture. Same thing happened to us

I would like to know the name brand of the furniture you bough. Same thing happened to us.

Quote:
In May 2017 we purchased a five piece reclining media set at a cost of $3865 from
Family Furniture Galleries, 8626 US Hwy 441, Leesburg, FL 34788. There were two misrepresentations made by Family Furniture sales staff.
First, we were assured by the sales representative and the sales manager that this manufacturer (El Ran) made the highest quality products. Second, we were sold a 5 year warranty that was represented as covering all perils to the fabric.
After only 3 years, the fabric began to separate, crack and split (photos available). When notifying the warranty company, we were informed that this was normal wear and tear and therefore not covered. I do not believe that almost $4000 of high quality furniture should disintegrate in this fashion in 3 years. Upon contacting the manufacturer, we were again told that only 3 years was the expected life of their product.
We then contacted Family Furniture directly for satisfaction. We were told that they had no responsibly but would give us a discounted price of $400 to re-cover the damaged products. We paid the $400 in advance but the items have never been satisfactorily repaired.
First Family sent out their in-house repair person with pre-made fabric to recover. He did a terrible job leaving seats at different heights and severe wrinkles in the fabric that he stretched improperly. After complaining, Family Furniture agreed to send out out a private repair company. Their 2 repair people told us specifically that the first repair person (from Family Furniture) did a terrible job and that he had destroyed the original replacement fabric by stretching it improperly and that it could not be saved. They stated that new fabric would have to be ordered.
Since then, without any further repair attempt, Family Furniture has stated that the repair is complete and that they have no further obligation.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
I'm sorry you're dealing with this issue BUT that said...you probably shouldn't post your e-mail address publicly on-line.
Closed Thread

Tags
furniture, family, fabric, repair, sales

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.