Beware of a phone call re a political rally.....

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2020, 12:13 PM
Veteran member
Default Beware of a phone call re a political rally.....

Wife and I take care of her 92 yr. old Mother who lives by herself close to us. She received a call on her land line phone regarding a political rally that will supposedly take place this evening in Orlando. They said she would receive another call this evening with instructions of how to watch. I listened to the call and it is a hoax. I contribute to the same, receive text, emails and calls but this one is fraud. They are trying to secure credit card numbers from older people.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Yeah, I got a call also and hung up on them.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:56 PM
Sage

Got the same call. Unfortunately, it was a robo call so I couldn't tell them what I thought of it and them.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

I learned the first 6 months after moving here. Don’t answer phone unless you know who’s calling. If it important they leave message and you can evaluate if it’s important enough to respond. Never been in state that gets so many scheme called.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,042 Times in 5,334 Posts

With us sitting home now like to get them talking about nothing and see how long I can keep them on the phone.

Cant wait for this to end though.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:53 PM
Sage

At the beginning of the lock down they seemed to take a hiatus but for the last several weeks the spam calls have doubled in number. I just gave up blocking numbers on Ooma after reaching around 1,000. Ooma claims to block spam calls but it's not doing much of a job. In this transition period of people working from home, including medical personnel, you can't always tell by the number who is legitimate and who is not. A PA for one of our doctors just called from an Orlando number.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,042 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
At the beginning of the lock down they seemed to take a hiatus but for the last several weeks the spam calls have doubled in number. I just gave up blocking numbers on Ooma after reaching around 1,000. Ooma claims to block spam calls but it's not doing much of a job. In this transition period of people working from home, including medical personnel, you can't always tell by the number who is legitimate and who is not. A PA for one of our doctors just called from an Orlando number.
Find it just easier to answer and hang up or mess around with them if i have the time.

On my cell easier to block the number,
Old 08-07-2020, 05:33 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
Wife and I take care of her 92 yr. old Mother who lives by herself close to us. She received a call on her land line phone regarding a political rally that will supposedly take place this evening in Orlando. They said she would receive another call this evening with instructions of how to watch. I listened to the call and it is a hoax. I contribute to the same, receive text, emails and calls but this one is fraud. They are trying to secure credit card numbers from older people.
And?? This has been going on for decades. Thats what answering machines are for. Screen your calls before you pick up. Simple.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:10 AM
Veteran member

I got that same call about a rally in Orlando. I thought it was legit but I still didn't pick up the phone.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:47 AM

RoboKiller works great. Best $30 a year I’ve ever spent. Blocks calls and texts.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:59 AM

With sprint merger to T-Mobile I got a spam blocker for free and I can ad a number to it as well.Ive had it about 2 weeks, it’s great!
I wonder if they have this for land lines?
Old 08-07-2020, 07:10 AM

I like it when my answering machine talks to their answering machine. Now if I could get my machine to call them back
Old 08-07-2020, 08:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Remember people all of these suggestions sound good & probably are good but remember you’re suggesting a 92 yr. old lady to do these things. Yes I know we think, yes but her kids are taking care of her. This is an old lady!
Old 08-07-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Blocking numbers is a total waste of time! Each call made by a junk or spam caller can easily display as a new number. There are billions of possible number combinations. You have to attack the problem with a "white list" not a "black list". A "white list" are the numbers on your contact list.

If you have an iPhone or Android, you can silence the unknown callers. The unknown callers can then only leave voicemail. The junk and spam callers almost never leave voicemail. As mentioned, T-Mobile also offers protection against scam callers for free. Maybe you should consider switching to T-Mobile if are on another carrier. Check out the Magenta Basic, Magenta, and Magenta Plus plans that are aimed at people age 55 and over.

If you have a landline, you can stop the junk and spam callers if you buy a Digitone Call Blocker device for $90, a one time cost. You simply program your contact list into the device. The junk and spam callers cannot ring your telephone. Telephone numbers that are not on your contact list can only leave voicemail. Junk and spam callers almost never leave voicemail. The Digitone Call Block has both a "white list" and "black list". The "black list", blocking individual telephone numbers is ineffective. The "white list", your contact list is extremely effective to block the junk and spam callers. It's not that complicated to program. If you are not technically savvy, find someone who is technically savvy to help you.

DIGITONE ProSeries Blocker - Block Any RoboCall Name or Number

You can temporarily disable the call blocking if you are expecting a follow up call from your doctor or dentist. Or, you can find out what number they will be calling from, and add that number to your contact list. Your quality of life will improve when you eliminate the junk and spam callers from your life!
Old 08-07-2020, 09:22 AM

Check out the app RoboKiller. I’ve had success with it blocking spam.
Closed Thread

Tags
call, evening, receive, rally, political

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.