Beware of a phone call re a political rally.....

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2020, 11:34 AM

My iPhone 11 allows me to have any calls from people and business who are not in my contact list to automatically go to voice mail. The phone doesn’t even ring so I’m never bothered. In the morning I go through recent calls and have the spam ones or those who left a voice mail blocked. Check to see if your phones have the same option. Update your contact list as needed.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:16 PM
Default Phone scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I learned the first 6 months after moving here. Don’t answer phone unless you know who’s calling. If it important they leave message and you can evaluate if it’s important enough to respond. Never been in state that gets so many scheme called.
I got a call today and they left a message telling me my case to settle my college tuition debt had been accepted? Really-they left a message. 🥴
Old 08-07-2020, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

I have nomorobo from Spectrum and it does a great job except on 352 numbers. I can add number is they get through. If we don't recognize the number it goes to voice mail. Pretty easy to manage.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-07-2020, 09:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Thinking of starting up my own rally but will need someone to bring refreshments.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
With us sitting home now like to get them talking about nothing and see how long I can keep them on the phone.

Cant wait for this to end though.
If you respond they know the got live number and will keep calling and sell you’re number to other scammers.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenorgirl View Post
I got a call today and they left a message telling me my case to settle my college tuition debt had been accepted? Really-they left a message. 🥴

I get the one says company gone out of business and respond for refund? Seems like they come up with new angle scheme every month.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Remember people all of these suggestions sound good & probably are good but remember you’re suggesting a 92 yr. old lady to do these things. Yes I know we think, yes but her kids are taking care of her. This is an old lady!
More reason to not answer the phone.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I used to get calls from "Amy" that this was their last phone message to let me know that my warranty on the car had expired....then they stopped....now it's a guy called "Ted" calling to let me know

just hang up on these bozos.....if I don't recognize them caller on caller ID...I just let it go
Old 08-08-2020, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Remember people all of these suggestions sound good & probably are good but remember you’re suggesting a 92 yr. old lady to do these things. Yes I know we think, yes but her kids are taking care of her. This is an old lady!
Not just an old lady, but one who does not actually LIVE with her kids. The OP already specified that she doesn't live with them, in their first post.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Not just an old lady, but one who does not actually LIVE with her kids. The OP already specified that she doesn't live with them, in their first post.
Why doesn’t the OP help the 92 year old lady with the advice given? Or, connect the 92 year old lady with a tech savvy person who can help her. She has a landline, so the solution is to purchase a Digitone Call Blocker, and have it programmed with her contact list. Once that’s done, the junk and spam calls will be gone. That will require training for the 92 year old lady to learn how to add new numbers that are authorized to ring through. Or, the OP can learn how to add new numbers to the contact list that will ring through to her landline. If those things are done, the junk and spam calls will immediately end.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Why doesn’t the OP help the 92 year old lady with the advice given? Or, connect the 92 year old lady with a tech savvy person who can help her. She has a landline, so the solution is to purchase a Digitone Call Blocker, and have it programmed with her contact list. Once that’s done, the junk and spam calls will be gone. That will require training for the 92 year old lady to learn how to add new numbers that are authorized to ring through. Or, the OP can learn how to add new numbers to the contact list that will ring through to her landline. If those things are done, the junk and spam calls will immediately end.
I have 70-something and 80-something neighbors who still have flip-phones and have zero interest in learning how to use anything more technical than that - and don't even know how to use most of the features on their flip-phones.

And a neighbor who doesn't even have a cell phone at all. Just a landline. And zero interest in learning how to use anything attached to it.

Sometimes it's better to help a person deal with what they have, rather than suggest new things that they don't have. In this case - I'd suggest that the OP set up his mom-in-law with the Do Not Call list, and remind her that if someone calls that SHE doesn't personally know by name, even if it's a company she does business with, she needs to ask the caller to leave a message. To tell them she's busy and she'll call them back.

And then - she can call you with a list of everyone who did that, and their phone number, and son-in-law can decide on her behalf which ones to address and which ones to ignore.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I have 70-something and 80-something neighbors who still have flip-phones and have zero interest in learning how to use anything more technical than that - and don't even know how to use most of the features on their flip-phones.

And a neighbor who doesn't even have a cell phone at all. Just a landline. And zero interest in learning how to use anything attached to it.

Sometimes it's better to help a person deal with what they have, rather than suggest new things that they don't have. In this case - I'd suggest that the OP set up his mom-in-law with the Do Not Call list, and remind her that if someone calls that SHE doesn't personally know by name, even if it's a company she does business with, she needs to ask the caller to leave a message. To tell them she's busy and she'll call them back.

And then - she can call you with a list of everyone who did that, and their phone number, and son-in-law can decide on her behalf which ones to address and which ones to ignore.
The Do Not Call List is a total waste of time! It is totally ineffective!

If she had a CenturyLink landline, she could simply turn on the “no solicitation” feature. That would stop all or nearly all of the junk and scam calls.

I can’t believe that no one that lives near her has any technical ability. But if that’s the case, I guess it’s just a matter of time for her to get scammed out of her money, possibly her life savings.

If other people want to stop the junk or scam calls, there are ways to do that. It is really a choice you are making to accept getting junk or scam calls, when it’s pretty easy to permanently end junk and scam calls.
Closed Thread

Tags
call, evening, receive, rally, political

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.