Beware of Unlicensed and Uninsured Contractors!

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2017, 07:59 AM
Veteran member
Default Beware of Unlicensed and Uninsured Contractors!

If you request from your contractor proof of insurance before they do any work at your property and they refuse!
This should raise a BIG RED FLAG!

Also most Contractors in Florida Need to be licensed under the DBPR ( Department of Business and Professional Regulations) Statue 489 and 455.
If they get hurt or damage your property you are up Chits creek without a paddle.
Goldman Appliance Service sent me this email when i requested there proof of insurance for A BOSCH dishwasher recall for over 660,000 dishwasher recalled due to potential fires of there power cord!

"We received your request for the Bosch cord recall about our license and insurance. Bosch, who issued the recall, has all of that information. We are a fully authorized Bosch Servicer. What that means is we are fully licensed, insured and have passed background checks. We go through a stringent process every year to keep our authorized status. We have been in business since 1905 and enjoy an impeccable reputation. While we understand your reasoning by requesting our information, we do not provide customers with our liability policy. We can however, in certain instances, give you our underwriter’s phone number and you may verify that our policy is in place and intact. While we are sure your intentions are good and you are only requesting this to protect your property, we will not be going forward with your recall. Please choose another servicer from the list provided."

Sincerely,
Na*** Go**man
Bookkeeper
Goldman Appliances, Inc.
352-622-6516
352-629-1446
Fax 352-622-8109

“Family Owned and Operated Since 1905”

"Mind you there is NO LIST PROVIDED EITHER"

FYI: just because some one is Factory authorized, doesn't mean they are Licensed and their insurance is up to date, which the manufactures usually only checks once a year and they have no enforcement capability. Furthermore NO Contractor wants factory Warranty work due to the Cut rate manufactures pay which hardly covers the cost of doing the job. Mind you this is from a family member of the business which is a bookkeeper and obviously are not aware of the potential problems of uninsured contractors. Also when you call Bosch you are talking to Asian agents and god only knows where there call centers are and can't supply you with a insurance certificate and refers you back to the contractor.
They instead take a high road instead of supplying a insurance certificate.
BEWARE!!!!!
There are major corporation everyday going bankrupted due to failed products, GM, Kodak, Takata Airbag. Etc..

Last edited by Chellybean; 11-07-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:08 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Go to Sunbiz Florida and check out this Co. They are a registered Corporation with the State of Florida which means all their Insurance is on file and they have liability ins.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment Painting Contractors View Post
Go to Sunbiz Florida and check out this Co. They are a registered Corporation with the State of Florida which means all their Insurance is on file and they have liability ins.
That is untrue! Just because they are on Sunbiz DOES NOT mean there Licensed and hold Insurance certificate.
Sunbiz is only Corporate Filing and does not check on Insurance. Furthermore DBPR has NO license on this company and under a very gray area of the Contracting Licensing there is a gap.
However they do advertise as Refrigeration repair which Indeed needs to be LICENSED with DBPR which they are NOT LICENSED.
Please before posting check your facts and do you homework there is a lot of vulnerable people on this Forum!
Old 11-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
That is untrue! Just because they are on Sunbiz DOES NOT mean there Licensed and hold Insurance certificate.

Sunbiz is only Corporate Filing and does not check on Insurance. Furthermore DBPR has NO license on this company and under a very gray area of the Contracting Licensing there is a gap.

However they do advertise as Refrigeration repair which Indeed needs to be LICENSED with DBPR which they are NOT LICENSED.

Please before posting check your facts and do you homework there is a lot of vulnerable people on this Forum!

So, you’re not going to have your Bosch fixed because of this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
So, you’re not going to have your Bosch fixed because of this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No i am forcing Bosch to send a licensed contractor and someone that will produce a Insurance certificate.
It is your call to have a unlicensed contractor or a uninsured contractor to enter your property.
People do it all the time and suffer the consequences.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Gold member
Default Interesting

Quote:
You mention it is a Bosch recall. I expect the firm would need to contact Bosch to get paid.

I would never have thought to check for license or insurance.

Have, you contacted the BOSCH corporate office?
Old 11-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
You mention it is a Bosch recall. I expect the firm would need to contact Bosch to get paid.

I would never have thought to check for license or insurance.

Have, you contacted the BOSCH corporate office?
awaiting for a corporate representative to call me back.
The customer service is a joke and a bunch of mindless idiots that don't understand about being licensed and insured.
Bosch says there licensed but they are licensed with Bosch and not DBPR.
Also Bosch said they can't force the contractor to produce insurance certificates and they don't monitor insurances of these contractor. NICE!!!
Old 11-07-2017, 11:36 AM
Veteran member

Thank you chellybean for your post. I found their response to your reasonable request outrageous. I have not done business with Goldman Appliance and never will do business with Goldman Appliance. I come from a contractor family and asking for insurance is quite common. My brother and dad always have several copies on hand. This appliance company may have all the required coverage but they just showed their hand for customer service. Sadly, with the large TV population they will do just fine. Many companies survive on one-time customers.

In standard TOTV fashion, I’m sure there will be posters praising this store to the heavens as the greatest appliance store in the history of mankind. To those posters, I’m happy for you.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Thank you chellybean for your post. I found their response to your reasonable request outrageous. I have not done business with Goldman Appliance and never will do business with Goldman Appliance. I come from a contractor family and asking for insurance is quite common. My brother and dad always have several copies on hand. This appliance company may have all the required coverage but they just showed their hand for customer service. Sadly, with the large TV population they will do just fine. Many companies survive on one-time customers.

In standard TOTV fashion, I’m sure there will be posters praising this store to the heavens as the greatest appliance store in the history of mankind. To those posters, I’m happy for you.
Finally a wiseman and understands not letting unlicensed and uninsured contractors on your property.
I also come from a long line of family contractors.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Sage

Also-any unlicensed person who gets injured while working on your property can sue the "homeowner" for damages-beware when hiring local yokels--working out of a pick-up truck with magnetic signs
Old 11-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
No i am forcing Bosch to send a licensed contractor and someone that will produce a Insurance certificate.
It is your call to have a unlicensed contractor or a uninsured contractor to enter your property.
People do it all the time and suffer the consequences.
Goldman said they were fully insured and licensed. Bosch had all their information.

So you would rather risk a fire in your home from a dishwasher cord than to have it replaced by a qualified technician whose company stated they have the insurance and license on file but would not show them to you???
Old 11-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Goldman said they were fully insured and licensed. Bosch had all their information.

So you would rather risk a fire in your home from a dishwasher cord than to have it replaced by a qualified technician whose company stated they have the insurance and license on file but would not show them to you???
You're obviously the typical villager that would buy what is told to you.
What proof is there they are qualified technicians and are insured.
The proof is in the pudding friend!
If a contractor is not willing to give you a copy of there insurance certificate or is not state licensed which is no easy task then it is a huge red flag.
I guess there are alot of villagers that would allow someone to come in there home and do a repair not knowing if it is done right or creating another fire hazard.
Good luck my friend you will need it.

P.s. the courts are full of lawsuit from unlicensed contractors and losses due to there work. If they don't have insurance or any assets to attach you are in a lot of trouble.
Including if they slip and fall on your property you can be sued!

Last edited by Chellybean; 11-07-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Also-any unlicensed person who gets injured while working on your property can sue the "homeowner" for damages-beware when hiring local yokels--working out of a pick-up truck with magnetic signs
The fact they are licensed doesn't preclude them from suing you. If you back your car into the Massey service person , you are going to get sued. And if he's insured for his injuries by workers comp and the workers comp carrier pays for his medical bills and disability, they will also be coming after you.

So don't be fooled that a contractor being licensed and insured protects you from being sued if somebody is injured on your property, it doesn't.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
The fact they are licensed doesn't preclude them from suing you. If you back your car into the Massey service person , you are going to get sued. And if he's insured for his injuries by workers comp and the workers comp carrier pays for his medical bills and disability, they will also be coming after you.

So don't be fooled that a contractor being licensed and insured protects you from being sued if somebody is injured on your property, it doesn't.
Well said and your point is correct.
I would rather be in the arena of a licensed contractor and a insured business then not.
negligence is the name of the game.
Well spoken friend!
Old 11-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

I have an insurance card from my auto insurance company, but that doesn't prove that I am insured because I may be behind in my payments. I am a pretty careful person, but I think it would be way too much trouble to verify that every contractor I hire actually has current insurance and how much they are covered for. When you have a sofa or tv delivered to your house, do you require the store to prove they have current insurance? How often do you verify that the company who cuts your grass is current on his insurance? Legally, I believe that as long as you do business with a bona fide company, insured or not, you at very low risk for being successfully sued for liability. Also, that is what your homeowners liability insurance is for, and I have plenty of that.
Closed Thread

Tags
bosch, recall, property, insurance, goldman

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.