Bicycle riding rules

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Veteran member
Default Bicycle riding rules

This morning I was riding my bike on the Buena Vista multi modal path near the Bel Air entrance. A bicycle club passed me, about 20 riders. As they were going past me 2 riders shook there heads and pointed at there ears because I was listening to my I pod and then a 3rd rider near the end of the pack yelled at me saying listening to that is illegal!!! Now here is the good part just up ahead the trail merges with the entrance road and there is a BIG RED STOP SIGN that all 20 bikers decided to just blow right thru it....I guess when you are in an offical bike club you get to pick and choose the rules of the road you wish to adhere to
Old 07-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

i pod only one ear so you can hear whats going on around you. but to blow thur a stop sign so they can keep up the pace is telling everyone rules don't apply to the club. unless this was a posted race they were wrong not to stop
Old 07-21-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
... to blow thur a stop sign so they can keep up the pace...they were wrong not to stop
illegal, certainly, but what would you do if you were in a pack of 20 cyclists?

Assuming two abreast, you would still form a line ten cyclists long and, each time a new pair got to the Stop sign, the line would stop. Then two would go off the front, the line would move forward one bike length, and the new front pair would stop.

As long as they slowed sufficiently to ensure their path was clear then you really can't expect them to do anything else.

Just because the person wearing earphones didn't like being told he was in the wrong...
Old 07-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

there is a bigggg difference in slowing and blowing thru full speed and as I posted it was full speed and whether I was right or wrong listening to my I pod...if you are going to point it out to me then follow the rules yourself
Old 07-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Eternal Member
Default Bicycle packs have their own rules.

I was behind a "pack" and they kept coming out of the bicycle lanes into the car lanes. By law I have to give them 3 feet but what do I do when it forces me across the double line because they don't want to ride single file?

Obviously they have no respect for stop signs. STOP signs say STOP, I don't care if they have to stretch out into a long group. STOP means STOP.

Rules are rules. Everyone should follow them. Even the bike riders.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post

Assuming two abreast, you would still form a line ten cyclists long and, each time a new pair got to the Stop sign, the line would stop. Then two would go off the front, the line would move forward one bike length, and the new front pair would stop.

As long as they slowed sufficiently to ensure their path was clear then you really can't expect them to do anything else.

Just because the person wearing earphones didn't like being told he was in the wrong...
The STOP sign means STOP - it does not mean slow sufficiently. I don't believe I have seen a traffic sign in The Villages that says "SLOW SUFFICIENTLY, PLEASE".

Next time you are on the street - not multi-modal trail - slow up at a STOP sign when you see a police officer there and go right through. Explain that you slowed sufficiently and that is good as a full stop.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,356 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post

Assuming two abreast, you would still form a line ten cyclists long and, each time a new pair got to the Stop sign, the line would stop. Then two would go off the front, the line would move forward one bike length, and the new front pair would stop.As long as they slowed sufficiently to ensure their path was clear then you really can't expect them to do anything else.

How is this different than a line fo cars??
Old 07-21-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
there is a bigggg difference in slowing and blowing thru full speed and as I posted it was full speed and whether I was right or wrong listening to my I pod...if you are going to point it out to me then follow the rules yourself
well, to be fair, you just said "blow thru" in your original post, no mention of full speed

for safety's sake, they should have slowed down sufficiently to get a good look, and be able to stop if necessary

and, yes, legally they should have stopped, but that's cyclists for you.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:50 PM

Whether your vehicle has two wheels or ten wheels, STOP signs require stopping. Same thing goes for our gates. Cars & trucks stop, cyclists don't feel the need.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Sage

I for one am grateful they were on the path and not the road!
Can't for the life of me understand why one would choose the roadway instead of that lovely, smooth, paved path with no cars.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Gold member

Those village bicycles gangs are getting to be to much.Always wearing their "colors" when they ride together. Some of them are starting to carry cans of spray paint. I heard the county sheriff gang squad is investigating.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:04 PM

Some cyclists obey all traffic laws,are careful and "share the road" in the proper way.

Unfortunately most (and not just in TV) think everyone should yield to them anytime, anywhere.

It works both ways.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Those village bicycles gangs are getting to be to much.Always wearing their "colors" when they ride together. Some of them are starting to carry cans of spray paint. I heard the county sheriff gang squad is investigating.

Oh my, you just GOTTA explain that one! That has got to be one juicy story!
Don
Old 07-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Some of them are starting to carry cans of spray paint. I heard the county sheriff gang squad is investigating.
Paulandjean. ... That's a pretty serious accusation. Do you have any facts or proof to back it up? If you were being funny/sarcastic, a smiley would have been appropriate so folks don't take this seriously.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,356 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
I reread this.................a smiley would have appropriate.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.