Bicyclers in The Villages.

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Jeff Bieberfeld
Default courtesy and safety

i think the key to this whole thing is that all of us are sharing the road(s) and recreational trail(s). and that means being aware of one's own driving and the others around you, and that includes being safe and alert and respectful.
i am a bicycle rider and have had golf carts pass me in tunnels and on tunnel ramps, pass me on the left and then immediately make a right turn in front of me. i have also had polite folks wave me through, or wait while i cross an intersection. it is not just golf carts but cars also; and bicyclers(bicyclists) are not innocent either; riding against traffic, or on the sidewalks, or with no helmets, or listening to i-pods and oblivious to anything around them. and i haven't even mentioned pedestrians that walk 4-6 abreast........
so let's all try to share....and be careful.

jeff
Old 05-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Default Well Said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bieberfeld View Post
i think the key to this whole thing is that all of us are sharing the road(s) and recreational trail(s). and that means being aware of one's own driving and the others around you, and that includes being safe and alert and respectful.
i am a bicycle rider and have had golf carts pass me in tunnels and on tunnel ramps, pass me on the left and then immediately make a right turn in front of me. i have also had polite folks wave me through, or wait while i cross an intersection. it is not just golf carts but cars also; and bicyclers(bicyclists) are not innocent either; riding against traffic, or on the sidewalks, or with no helmets, or listening to i-pods and oblivious to anything around them. and i haven't even mentioned pedestrians that walk 4-6 abreast........
so let's all try to share....and be careful.
jeff
Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Bosoxfan

I'm confused as to why this is such an issue.When I'm out on my bike I travel the roads obeying the traffic laws.I wish all roads had bike lanes but they don't so I'm forced to sometimes be a little closer to vehicles than they'd like .As long as I'm not maneuvering in a way that would cause a motorist to have to guess what I'm going to do next than they should just go by me.I hope they don't expect me to keep up with traffic so if they have to slow down and wait for a safe time to pass me I'd appreciate it!!I take all the safety precautions necessary.I wear a helmet,wear bright clothing,and have a mirror that allows me to see who or what's coming from behind me.I do listen to my Ipod but am very aware of my surroundings.I think the oblivious ones are those using their cell phones while driving.I had to get off my bike the other day because a guy was on his cell phone driving a dump truck.This was on 466a with noone else on the road.It was the 4 lane section and this guy stayed on the far right straddling the shoulder forcing me from my bike.As stated in an earlier post what's the rush ? Stay off the phone & share the road so we can all live to see another beautiful day in the villages...Thanks!!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:26 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike42 View Post
The bicycle clubs in TV emphasize safety and following all of the laws.
I have never seen any of the bicycle clubs stopping at stop signs. The entire groups goes through stop signs without slowing down. Isn't that a violation of the law? Why don't they stop?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
I'm confused as to why this is such an issue.When I'm out on my bike I travel the roads obeying the traffic laws.I wish all roads had bike lanes but they don't so I'm forced to sometimes be a little closer to vehicles than they'd like .As long as I'm not maneuvering in a way that would cause a motorist to have to guess what I'm going to do next than they should just go by me.I hope they don't expect me to keep up with traffic so if they have to slow down and wait for a safe time to pass me I'd appreciate it!!I take all the safety precautions necessary.I wear a helmet,wear bright clothing,and have a mirror that allows me to see who or what's coming from behind me.I do listen to my Ipod but am very aware of my surroundings.I think the oblivious ones are those using their cell phones while driving.I had to get off my bike the other day because a guy was on his cell phone driving a dump truck.This was on 466a with noone else on the road.It was the 4 lane section and this guy stayed on the far right straddling the shoulder forcing me from my bike.As stated in an earlier post what's the rush ? Stay off the phone & share the road so we can all live to see another beautiful day in the villages...Thanks!!
Here is the Florida law on wearing headsets while operating a vehicle on Florida roadways:

316.304 Wearing of headsets.--

(1) No person shall operate a vehicle while wearing a headset, headphone, or other listening device, other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing.

(2) This section does not apply to:

(a) Any law enforcement officer equipped with any communication device necessary in performing his or her assigned duties or to any emergency vehicle operator equipped with any ear protection device.

(b) Any applicant for a license to operate a motorcycle while taking the examination required by s. 322.12(5).

(c) Any person operating a motorcycle who is using a headset that is installed in a helmet and worn so as to prevent the speakers from making direct contact with the user's ears so that the user can hear surrounding sounds.

(d) Any person using a headset in conjunction with a cellular telephone that only provides sound through one ear and allows surrounding sounds to be heard with the other ear.

(e) Any person using a headset in conjunction with communicating with the central base operation that only provides sound through one ear and allows surrounding sounds to be heard with the other ear.

(3) The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall promulgate, by administrative rule, standards and specifications for headset equipment the use of which is permitted under this section. The department shall inspect and review all such devices submitted to it and shall publish a list by name and type of approved equipment.

(4) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Founder

I never get an answer from bike club riders when I ask why they go through stop signs without stopping. I have asked this about 5 times and have not gotten a straight reply.

They all say that they observe all traffic rules, but I have never seen them stop at stop signs. They all go through as a group. The law requires that each one stops.

I know what they think is the answer, that it would disrupt their pace. But, saying that they observe all laws, means, ALL LAWS.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Sage

Think of it as just one long car!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Banned

It seems to me that The Serious biker would get even more exercise if they came to a dead stop at stop signs. And they would be less likeley to be injured if they road the bike/cart path when they are available. That doesn't mean they can't ride in the roadway. It just means the safer option would be the cart path were the speed differentials are closer to each other. If no cart path, use the roadway even if it is risky. But given the choice...it seem like a no brainer. Maybe I am missing something.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I never get an answer from bike club riders when I ask why they go through stop signs without stopping. I have asked this about 5 times and have not gotten a straight reply.

They all say that they observe all traffic rules, but I have never seen them stop at stop signs. They all go through as a group. The law requires that each one stops.

I know what they think is the answer, that it would disrupt their pace. But, saying that they observe all laws, means, ALL LAWS.
Kinda like saying why do cars roll thru stop signs without stopping. Or why do golf carts roll thru stop signs, why do people speed. Dont think you would be satisfied with any answer given. I have let everyone in this office read this thread. They all say the same thing, sounds like somebody dont like cyclist on the roads..

Better question would be, why when cyclist are in the round-a-bouts going around them, why do the cars not yield the right of way to the bikers and go thru the YIELD sign.

Again, dont think it matters what answer you want, will not be the right one. I would think the "ALL LAWS" you mean would apply to all vehicles on the road. The day that all vehicles obey ALL LAWS will be the day I could pull a rotten, nerve exposed Wisdom Tooth out of a Tyrannosaurus Rex and walk away..

Money out

Last edited by GMONEY; 05-04-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Old 05-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Boy Howdy.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Sage

Old 05-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMONEY View Post
Kinda like saying why do cars roll thru stop signs without stopping. Or why do golf carts roll thru stop signs, why do people speed. Dont think you would be satisfied with any answer given. I have let everyone in this office read this thread. They all say the same thing, sounds like somebody dont like cyclist on the roads..

Better question would be, why when cyclist are in the round-a-bouts going around them, why do the cars not yield the right of way to the bikers and go thru the YIELD sign.

Again, dont think it matters what answer you want, will not be the right one. I would think the "ALL LAWS" you mean would apply to all vehicles on the road. The day that all vehicles obey ALL LAWS will be the day I could pull a rotten, nerve exposed Wisdom Tooth out of a Tyrannosaurus Rex and walk away..
You could not be any more wrong. (your office as well) I am a serious bicyclist too. The thing that rankles me is that they profess to "obey all traffic rules." (read the earlier posts). They say that they have safety meetings and constantly encourage safe operation. They don't and they won't answer my question.

Pointing out a serious traffic hazard (bikes speeding through stop signs) should not be considered a dislike for anything other than hypocrisy. If I asked why cars go through stop signs, does that mean I don't like car drivers. No, it means I am concerned and you should be too.

JLK
Old 05-06-2010, 10:43 AM

Bicyclists are much like motorcyclists. They want car drivers to watch out for them because they can't be bothered watching out for cars or obeying those silly traffic laws.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Default Bicycles on roadway

Bicyclists must abide by the same rules and laws as automobiles when riding on public roadways. For their own safety, it seems the bicylcists you decribe should have been on the multimodal paths as they were probably more of the "recreational" type of riders. Glad everyone was safe in this instance!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.