Bicycles on major roads

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
According to the 2012 National Survey on Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors, nearly a third of all injuries are caused when bicyclists are struck by cars.

Six most Frequent Sources of Injury Percent
Hit by car 29
Fell 17
Roadway/walkway not in good repair 13
Rider error/not paying attention 13
Crashed/collision 7
Dog ran out 4

Struck by golf cart doesn't even warrant a mention.
The paths are in excellent repair. I have been chased down by dogs over the years but not much more then a bark in TV.
If memory serves me, a couple of years ago there was one very serious accident involving an upright bike on the cart path near Bridgeport at Lake Sumter. The cyclist was hit by a street legal cart (LSV) driven by someone who had a medical condition that prohibited him from driving a motor vehicle. He drove his LSV (which he shouldn't have been driving) over the cyclist then backed over the cyclist again. Miraculously, the cyclist survived.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Sage

I wouldn't expect golf carts to be a significant factor in a national survey. The Villages is not very representative of the nation, from a golf cart point of view.

Quote:
According to the 2012 National Survey on Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors, nearly a third of all injuries are caused when bicyclists are struck by cars.

Six most Frequent Sources of Injury Percent
Hit by car 29
Fell 17
Roadway/walkway not in good repair 13
Rider error/not paying attention 13
Crashed/collision 7
Dog ran out 4

Struck by golf cart doesn't even warrant a mention.
The paths are in excellent repair. I have been chased down by dogs over the years but not much more then a bark in TV.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
You may very well be correct...it just seemed to me that I'm not seeing as many as I had in the past. Happy to hear that the sport is thriving!
Even with the growth of the sport in TV, it is still a small fraction of the number of upright bikes. However, if you ever ride the Withlacoochee State Trail, from Inverness, the number of recumbents there is amazing. I've ridden there on days where the recumbent riders outnumber the uprights. The fact that there are 2 recumbent bike dealers on the trail contributes to that, I'm sure.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
If memory serves me, a couple of years ago there was one very serious accident involving an upright bike on the cart path near Bridgeport at Lake Sumter. The cyclist was hit by a street legal cart (LSV) driven by someone who had a medical condition that prohibited him from driving a motor vehicle. He drove his LSV (which he shouldn't have been driving) over the cyclist then backed over the cyclist again. Miraculously, the cyclist survived.
I wonder how many people are driving cars that shouldn't. You have a chance against a cart wearing a helmet. That's why I stay on the paths.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
A recumbent bike on a main road? Whether it is legal or not -- nutz!
Quote:
Nutz(sic)...not at all!

I ride recumbents all the time. As a matter of fact I just finished a ride this morning with the Sumter Landing Bike Club. I was the only recumbent in the group. I ride a trike with bright lighting and a 6 foot flag. I ride very defensively and have been doing so for the past 6 years. I have never so much as had a close call. The only time I feel I am at a disadvantage, compared to an upright bike, is in the roundabouts. I use particular caution when riding in these. I have had well meaning drivers, on rare occasion, yell at me to get off the road, or even the cart paths (which I, also, ride), and that they can't see me, even as they are looking straight at me. My belief is that it is not so much a matter of not being seen, but the other drivers just not wanting me, in particular, or any other cyclists in their way, for that matter.

As far as safety goes, compared to an upright bike, my trike is far safer. I never wobble, I don't need to balance, and I stop at stop signs, in part, because I don't need to put my feet down when I stop. Also, if I were to run into something, I would be thrown feet first, rather than head first, as on an upright, and I have a lower height to fall from. Also, if I hit a slippery patch on the road, I never fall, even if a wheel loses traction, while an upright will likely wipe out.

The greatest threat to cyclists safety, in my opinion, is unsafe riding by cyclists themselves, regardless of the type of bike they ride.

Sorry Chazz, I'm in total agreement with Wanda.

Since you already ride a recumbent bike, you will always defend riding it. A lighted bike during daylight is meaningless. A 6' flag may be noticed, but maybe not if someone can't see to what it's attached. Wobbling has nothing to do with what she is speaking about, nor does balance, etc. There is no provision for you to be riding a bike on Buena Vista or Morse. You have no business riding that bike around the circles, where cars don't know their a$$ from their elbow in driving around them. You may know what you are doing, but drivers don't!

You belong on the modal paths but you obviously don't like that idea and I'm sure you have reasons/excuses for not using them.

You've been riding your bike footloose and fancy free for six years? Consider yourself lucky to still be among us!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
You are absolutely correct. And it was the day before that I was riding with my wife and daughter on the MMP between Morse and Buena Vista on 466, we were doing 20-21 mph, A older gent on a cart passed my daughter and ran into my wife from behind and wrecked both of them. Had to call 911, my daughter was taking to TV Hospital. The gent said he was just trying to pass us. We were in a single file line heading into one of the divided sections on of the MMP just past Laurel Valley. There is no room to pass on that part of the MMP. SCSO asked him why in a hurry, he told the Deputy he had no idea just want to pass us.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:36 AM
Sage

I found the accident report about the biker who was struck by a golf cart.
click here
Read the golf cart accident reports. Much more then I imagined.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
click here
Wow! After reading about all the golf cart accidents It is obvious that it is not bicycling that is dangerous, but it is riding in a golf cart without seat belts. 15 deaths in 4 years is very high. This is typical about people, they tend to fret over a perceived danger, even though it rarely happens, and not pay any attention to a real threat. I think the real issue in this thread is that some automobile drivers do not like slowing down for bicycles on the roads. They do not like having to merge into the other lane on Buena Vista Blvd. and Morse Blvd.. Their dislike of bicycles on the roads is palpable. Thank goodness the vast majority of drivers are courteous and careful and slow down or merge into the other lane.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
Wow! After reading about all the golf cart accidents It is obvious that it is not bicycling that is dangerous, but it is riding in a golf cart without seat belts. 15 deaths in 4 years is very high. This is typical about people, they tend to fret over a perceived danger, even though it rarely happens, and not pay any attention to a real threat. I think the real issue in this thread is that some automobile drivers do not like slowing down for bicycles on the roads. They do not like having to merge into the other lane on Buena Vista Blvd. and Morse Blvd.. Their dislike of bicycles on the roads is palpable. Thank goodness the vast majority of drivers are courteous and careful and slow down or merge into the other lane.

DING DING DING !!!!! we have a winner!
Old 01-21-2015, 08:41 AM
Sage

I am sorry to hear about your wife and daughter. I believe the biggest threat to cyclists is getting clipped from behind by either a car or golf cart. In another thread, which was mercifully ended by the moderator yesterday, the driver of a golf cart was apparently read the riot act by two cyclists he/she probably passed with very little clearance. Cyclists need to be given a wide berth because the consequences of an accident can be severe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryW View Post
You are absolutely correct. And it was the day before that I was riding with my wife and daughter on the MMP between Morse and Buena Vista on 466, we were doing 20-21 mph, A older gent on a cart passed my daughter and ran into my wife from behind and wrecked both of them. Had to call 911, my daughter was taking to TV Hospital. The gent said he was just trying to pass us. We were in a single file line heading into one of the divided sections on of the MMP just past Laurel Valley. There is no room to pass on that part of the MMP. SCSO asked him why in a hurry, he told the Deputy he had no idea just want to pass us.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

Since you already ride a recumbent bike, you will always defend riding it. A lighted bike during daylight is meaningless. A 6' flag may be noticed, but maybe not if someone can't see to what it's attached. Wobbling has nothing to do with what she is speaking about, nor does balance, etc. There is no provision for you to be riding a bike on Buena Vista or Morse. You have no business riding that bike around the circles, where cars don't know their a$$ from their elbow in driving around them. You may know what you are doing, but drivers don't!

You belong on the modal paths but you obviously don't like that idea and I'm sure you have reasons/excuses for not using them.

You've been riding your bike footloose and fancy free for six years? Consider yourself lucky to still be among us!
And, I am in total disagreement with you and Wanda.

As to my light being useless in daylight, that is simply false. I have a high intensity flashing red light that, I have been told by drivers, can be seen in bright daylight, over 1/2 mile away. However, I completely understand that nothing that I can say or do will satisfy that I may ride safely on the roads, and I am comfortable with that. I don't expect complete invulnerability in life. If I did, I would curl up in bed and stay there to avoid any chance of mishap. Every choice in life presents some degree of risk. My problem is with people who project their perception of risk tolerance onto others, and seek to nullify lawful behavior based on their determination that we have "no business" riding there. My concern is that hostile drivers will read this and feel justified in teaching us a "lesson."
Old 01-21-2015, 10:23 AM
Sage

It isn't clear to me that the multimodal paths are safer than the roads. I ride a fair amount and believe the roads are safer. Caution is certainly needed in the roundabouts. Riding in a group increases visibility and therefore safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

Old 01-21-2015, 10:24 AM

It seems to me that most of us are oriented to look out for other cars while driving on state roads, highways,etc. Then we enter The Villages and there are now pedestrians, bikes, golf carts, and other cars that we need to reorient to - which means accidents will happen if we don't pay extra close attention. If you ride a bike on these roads be aware that your risk factor goes way up. Heck, even driving a car in The Villages is riskier - I almost got rear ended by a subcontractor in a pick up truck talking on his phone!

Also the parking lots with their minimal spacing are extra dangerous since I have seen two cars backing out simultaneously ready to hit each other or golf carts flying by you while you are halfway out of the parking spot.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

click here

To all those who rent out their houses complete with golf carts this is a MUST read. Especially since insurance can not be secured for your renters anymore...
Old 01-21-2015, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
It isn't clear to me that the multimodal paths are safer than the roads. I ride a fair amount and believe the roads are safer. Caution is certainly needed in the roundabouts. Riding in a group increases visibility and therefore safety.
That's your right.
But if you have young guests, 12 year olds, and they want to go biking, where would you advise them to ride?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.