Bicycles on major roads

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Those who do not want bicycles on the road will never change their minds. Some just don't understand why a cyclist wants to ride on the road. Let me shed a little light on their reasoning. As a serious cyclist my husband and I rode about 2500 miles per year. That would be quite a task on the interior streets and multi modal paths. Most cyclist ride for cardio benifts. Riding thru tunnels, over speed bumps and around internal streets will not allow for a good cardio workout. It's true that some cyclist blow thru stop signs but so do other drivers. No, they should not do so but a cyclist doing so has a far better view of on coming traffic than other modes of transportation. IMO, Most claim that they worry about the cyclist Saftey but in most cases the cyclist just annoys them because they have to slow down or because it makes the driver nervous to pass them. As far as not paying for their share of road maintenance, cyclist also own vehicles and pay to drive those. Let's be reasonable. A 12 pound bike causes very little wear and tear on the roadway as compared to a 3000 pound vehicle. Share the road...it's the law. It's also the nice thing to do. Oh, and cyclist do get traffic citations just as other vehicles.
Actually, there is likely to be more cardio conditioning benefits from using tunnels and slowing and accelerating than just constant tempo. Studies have shown that intervals of higher anaerobic intensity, such as hill climbing and acceleration, increase cardio capacity more than constant aerobic intensity. As a cyclist (with a mirror), I have found I don't have better visual awareness behind, and on the side of me than I do in my car with side view and rear view mirrors. In fact, I find I have trouble turning my head far enough around to clearly see behind me and at the same time keep my eyes on the situation in front of me. How would you feel about requiring a license and registration with accompanying taxes and fees, just like motorcycles, to use the roadways?
Old 01-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Those who do not want bicycles on the road will never change their minds. Some just don't understand why a cyclist wants to ride on the road. Let me shed a little light on their reasoning. As a serious cyclist my husband and I rode about 2500 miles per year. That would be quite a task on the interior streets and multi modal paths. Most cyclist ride for cardio benifts. Riding thru tunnels, over speed bumps and around internal streets will not allow for a good cardio workout...
I will never ride as much as you and your husband have. And believe me...I respect your opinion. But I must disagree about cardio benefits off the main streets. I ride quite a bit and pretty good distances for cardio and I get plenty. I will ride on the roadside paths (like on O'dell, Stillwater and many others, as well as the MMP's. I don't often ride on the strictly internal subdivision streets. I never ride on Morse or Buena Vista proper (auto lanes...I will ride on Morse roadside bike lane). But I rarely have to stop for bumps, signs or such. I can go as fast as I like for as long as I like while never entering a "main road". The rare tunnel is inconsequential. I'm to it and through it very quickly...and safely.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:51 AM
Sage

There is no comparison in visual awareness between when I am riding and in my car. I can see much better when I am riding. My mirror is on the end of my drop bars and my helmet/sunglasses do not restrict my peripheral vision. Where is your mirror?

Regarding a cardio workout, the opportunities are much better on the roads than the multimodal paths. I can stand up and accelerate when I want and there are some hills in The Villages and north of The Villages. You are much more restricted as to what you can do on the multimodal paths and frequent stop are necessary with traffic and the entrances to the different Villages. The tunnels are dangerous and not a cardio opportunity for me. I also like to ride at a pretty good clip - something you can't do on the multimodal paths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Actually, there is likely to be more cardio conditioning benefits from using tunnels and slowing and accelerating than just constant tempo. Studies have shown that intervals of higher anaerobic intensity, such as hill climbing and acceleration, increase cardio capacity more than constant aerobic intensity. As a cyclist (with a mirror), I have found I don't have better visual awareness behind, and on the side of me than I do in my car with side view and rear view mirrors. In fact, I find I have trouble turning my head far enough around to clearly see behind me and at the same time keep my eyes on the situation in front of me. How would you feel about requiring a license and registration with accompanying taxes and fees, just like motorcycles, to use the roadways?
Old 01-22-2015, 12:00 PM
Veteran member

Why aren't all of you out riding your bikes today?
Old 01-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrifats View Post
Share the road and pay attention!

Pretty much says it all..... I would add SLOW DOWN!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Sage

\\\\

Last edited by tomwed; 01-22-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Sage

And I answered you - the neighborhood streets. I would not suggest a 12 year guest ride on Buena Vista anymore than I would let a 5 year old play with a gun. As for myself, I am perfectly comfortable riding on Buena Vista and consider it safer than the multimodal paths but caution is needed in the roundabouts. Just like caution is needed on the multimodal paths around every corner, in the tunnels, where they cross the Village entrances, where the paths split, where carts, cyclists, and runners all converge, etc. I think you get the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I asked where you would recommend a 12 year old bike. Admittedly it was a loaded question. No one recommended a 12 year old ride on BV or Morse because it's more dangerous, entirely legal, but more dangerous. So what's good for the gosling is good for the goose.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
That's your right.
But if you have young guests, 12 year olds, and they want to go biking, where would you advise them to ride?
If I had a 12-year old that wanted to go biking, I wouldn't let them go outside of my particular unit number within my own village, and I still wouldn't be happy with that.

Even with an adult going with them, I would not be happy outside of my own unit because of all the whack-jobs behind the wheel of the cars and golf carts.

You don't have a bike?
Problem solved!
Old 01-22-2015, 03:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
12 miles today.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up An Excellent Post!

Quote:
Those who do not want bicycles on the road will never change their minds. Some just don't understand why a cyclist wants to ride on the road. Let me shed a little light on their reasoning. As a serious cyclist my husband and I rode about 2500 miles per year. That would be quite a task on the interior streets and multi modal paths. Most cyclist ride for cardio benifts. Riding thru tunnels, over speed bumps and around internal streets will not allow for a good cardio workout. It's true that some cyclist blow thru stop signs but so do other drivers. No, they should not do so but a cyclist doing so has a far better view of on coming traffic than other modes of transportation. IMO, Most claim that they worry about the cyclist Saftey but in most cases the cyclist just annoys them because they have to slow down or because it makes the driver nervous to pass them. As far as not paying for their share of road maintenance, cyclist also own vehicles and pay to drive those. Let's be reasonable. A 12 pound bike causes very little wear and tear on the roadway as compared to a 3000 pound vehicle. Share the road...it's the law. It's also the nice thing to do. Oh, and cyclist do get traffic citations just as other vehicles.
An excellent post, Perrjojo. And as far as bicycles paying any kind of road or licensing fee, ridiculous!
Bikes don't have anything to do with wear and tear on the roadways.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
There is no comparison in visual awareness between when I am riding and in my car. I can see much better when I am riding. My mirror is on the end of my drop bars and my helmet/sunglasses do not restrict my peripheral vision. Where is your mirror?

Regarding a cardio workout, the opportunities are much better on the roads than the multimodal paths. I can stand up and accelerate when I want and there are some hills in The Villages and north of The Villages. You are much more restricted as to what you can do on the multimodal paths and frequent stop are necessary with traffic and the entrances to the different Villages. The tunnels are dangerous and not a cardio opportunity for me. I also like to ride at a pretty good clip - something you can't do on the multimodal paths.
My mirror is on my top tube aimed between my legs. Before coming to TV, I would ride about 50-60 miles per week (2500 miles per yr), all on neighborhood streets with speeds up to 27 mph and averages for 10-15 miles 14 or 15 mph (including stops, slow downs, etc.). I have also ridden all over TV and can easily do 20 to 30 miles without riding on BVB with some pretty hilly rides, as you already know. If you think you need to ride on open roads to get a good workout, I suggest you wind through your neighborhood until you get on some of these local country roads outside of TV. You can ride for miles with maybe only see a few cars. I know, because I have done it. In my opinion, anyone that thinks riding BVB regularly with all the roundabouts and 70-80 year old seniors driving all over the place is safe just isn't thinking logically. It's the same logic as the motorcyclist that thinks riding with a helmet is less safe than with one because they claim the helmet impairs hearing and peripheral vision (which is not true). Anyway. Good luck; be safe.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
I rode 35 miles into work this morning at 4am....... So now I can sit here and read all this..

Cardio benefits are much greater on the open roads... the tunnels are have no affect or change to the cardio. They are not big enough to change any routine. The little rolling hills on Stillwater are nice little challenge and will hit your cardio hard when doing timed sprints on them.
But for overall cardio riding the open road is unmatched when you can do interval sprints when you want to. You can ride for the most part with out having to stop every mile or so, then the cardio benefits are much greater. On my long rides, we usually avg about 23 or so MPH. alot of times we are rolling at speeds up to 30 or more pushing pace for the work out. When you can do that for a extended period of time, then you will see the benefits. especially in the 100 mile ride range. Thus is why most cyclist that are in it for the workout as much as the fun will ride on the roads.

Now with that said,, I do not recommend young ones and the average beach cruiser rider to ride up and down Morse or Buena Vista, No Helment, no anything. Then only doing like 5 mph and wobbling along the road. Our group passed a gent on Buena Vista by Lake Sumter Landing the other day. He had on no helment,, regular shorts and T Shirt. We had to swerve way out because of he was like almost in middle of the outside lane. We were rolling near 25mph. Riders like that need to be on the MMP. For the most part when I am by myself I will go up on the MMP. But in a group, road all the way.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
An excellent post, Perrjojo. And as far as bicycles paying any kind of road or licensing fee, ridiculous!
Bikes don't have anything to do with wear and tear on the roadways.
Licensing and fees are not just about wear and tear. It is about regulation, making sure your vehicle (cycle) is in proper working condition, maintenance of stop signs, warning signs, traffic lights, drainage improvements, beautification, NEW roads, better access, maybe even more attention to cycle friendly design, and on and on.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:21 PM
Sage

Many of my miles are outside of The Villages with the Sumter Landing Bike Club but I do ride a fair amount on Buena Vista getting to the meeting place and back plus other rides. I don't have any issues with Buena Vista but the roundabouts do require caution. I watch my rearview mirror. I ride 2000 miles per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
My mirror is on my top tube aimed between my legs. Before coming to TV, I would ride about 50-60 miles per week (2500 miles per yr), all on neighborhood streets with speeds up to 27 mph and averages for 10-15 miles 14 or 15 mph (including stops, slow downs, etc.). I have also ridden all over TV and can easily do 20 to 30 miles without riding on BVB with some pretty hilly rides, as you already know. If you think you need to ride on open roads to get a good workout, I suggest you wind through your neighborhood until you get on some of these local country roads outside of TV. You can ride for miles with maybe only see a few cars. I know, because I have done it. In my opinion, anyone that thinks riding BVB regularly with all the roundabouts and 70-80 year old seniors driving all over the place is safe just isn't thinking logically. It's the same logic as the motorcyclist that thinks riding with a helmet is less safe than with one because they claim the helmet impairs hearing and peripheral vision (which is not true). Anyway. Good luck; be safe.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:41 PM

The Villages was, recently, awarded the silver designation as a bike friendly community by The League of American Bicyclists. I wonder if the ranking committee ever read the posts on this forum?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.