Bicycles on major roads

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
That's your right.
But if you have young guests, 12 year olds, and they want to go biking, where would you advise them to ride?
I would take them on a short drive to ride on the Withlacoochee State Trail.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
I would take them on a short drive to ride on the Withlacoochee State Trail.
Good question and excellent answer.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:51 PM
Gold member

The only thing I want to add to this thread is anyone who rides a bike ,should wear day glow yellow or orange shirts or jackets and have a very bright blinking or stationary light on the back and front of their bike. Be highly visible , many drivers around here don't see too well.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 PM

Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is smart or safe. Where I am from in Ct. We have winding roads without shoulders or overgrown shoulders that are heavily used in winter by commuters going to work. And there are runners in the early morning dark in rain and snow right next to the cars. I white knuckle it when I am passing them hoping my car doesn't skid or they don't run further into road at moment I am passig when they are avoiding mud or branch.

Every year there is a tragedy or two. Takes the life of runner, ruins life of driver, family without mother or father now. Legal battles ensue. It is an accident but like I say, just because it is legal ......seems to be a badge of honor to run or bike on busiest road under any condition, instead of the more quiet side roads.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I sure am glad I don't ride a bike in TV. It's almost as incendiary as walking a dog.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
And, I am in total disagreement with you and Wanda.

As to my light being useless in daylight, that is simply false. I have a high intensity flashing red light that, I have been told by drivers, can be seen in bright daylight, over 1/2 mile away. However, I completely understand that nothing that I can say or do will satisfy that I may ride safely on the roads, and I am comfortable with that. I don't expect complete invulnerability in life. If I did, I would curl up in bed and stay there to avoid any chance of mishap. Every choice in life presents some degree of risk. My problem is with people who project their perception of risk tolerance onto others, and seek to nullify lawful behavior based on their determination that we have "no business" riding there. My concern is that hostile drivers will read this and feel justified in teaching us a "lesson."
In your original post, you did not describe your light other than the fact that you had a light. Period! Your curling up in bed is a gross exaggeration to make your point, which is somewhat lame.

I, for one, am not projecting any kind of perception. Riding around the circles in TV on one of those things is risky. Just take a look at the drivers in cars! Every person has their own special way of navigating them and they think their way is the only way.

I question why you must take the "high" roads of Buena Vista and Morse, when it would be considerably safer to at least use the internal Village streets???

I, for one, wish you well and no harm, but I think there are safer places to ride your bike other than your particular choices.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:23 AM

its like allowing skateboards on sidewalks with pedestrians..accident waiting 2 happen..
Old 01-22-2015, 07:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
Share the road and pay attention!
If we are going to share the road why not share the expense too?

I am all for these bicyclists having to purchase license plates, pay road taxes, taking driving tests and obtaining a license (at a fee). I am also supportive of police writing them tickets when they disobey traffic laws (like the rolling stop after they have drove up the side of other vehicles waiting their turn at an stop sign intersection).
Old 01-22-2015, 07:55 AM
Sage

If I had young guests, I would recommend they stay on the neighborhood streets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
That's your right.
But if you have young guests, 12 year olds, and they want to go biking, where would you advise them to ride?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Those who do not want bicycles on the road will never change their minds. Some just don't understand why a cyclist wants to ride on the road. Let me shed a little light on their reasoning. As a serious cyclist my husband and I rode about 2500 miles per year. That would be quite a task on the interior streets and multi modal paths. Most cyclist ride for cardio benifts. Riding thru tunnels, over speed bumps and around internal streets will not allow for a good cardio workout. It's true that some cyclist blow thru stop signs but so do other drivers. No, they should not do so but a cyclist doing so has a far better view of on coming traffic than other modes of transportation. IMO, Most claim that they worry about the cyclist Saftey but in most cases the cyclist just annoys them because they have to slow down or because it makes the driver nervous to pass them. As far as not paying for their share of road maintenance, cyclist also own vehicles and pay to drive those. Let's be reasonable. A 12 pound bike causes very little wear and tear on the roadway as compared to a 3000 pound vehicle. Share the road...it's the law. It's also the nice thing to do. Oh, and cyclist do get traffic citations just as other vehicles.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:03 AM
Sage

I am a cyclist and I pay plenty of taxes to support the roads because I have 2 cars, I pay property taxes, and I pay federal income tax. Bicycles do not damage the roads the way that cars and trucks do. Please don't bring up the issue of cyclists violating traffic laws. Cars violate the traffic laws also and there are a lot more cars. I see plenty of cars crossing double solid lines to pass cyclists because they are too impatient to wait for a safe place to pass. Sharing the road is the law. If you are unhappy with the law then put the time and effort in to try to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
If we are going to share the road why not share the expense too?

I am all for these bicyclists having to purchase license plates, pay road taxes, taking driving tests and obtaining a license (at a fee). I am also supportive of police writing them tickets when they disobey traffic laws (like the rolling stop after they have drove up the side of other vehicles waiting their turn at an stop sign intersection).
Old 01-22-2015, 09:33 AM

Don't know if there is a helmet law here. in CT you have to wear a helmet to ride a bike but not a motorcycle.

Perfect example of just because it's legal doesn't mean is smart or safe or even makes sense.

I work at a hospital and we call those motorcyclists without helmets organ donors...and those are The lucky ones.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:26 AM
Veteran member

Florida's helmet law for bicyclists states that anyone under the age of 16 must wear one. Anyone above 16 is not required by law to do so.

(Revised in accordance with 2012 statute change)

s 316.2065 – Bicycle Regulations

(3)(d) A bicycle rider or passenger who is under 16 years of age must wear a bicycle helmet that is properly fitted and is fastened securely upon the passenger’s head by a strap and that meets the federal safety standard for bicycle helmets, final rule, 16 C.F.R. part 1203. A helmet purchased before October 1, 2012, which meets the standards of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI Z 90.4 Bicycle Helmet Standards), the standards of the Snell Memorial Foundation (1984 Standard for Protective Headgear for Use in Bicycling), or any other nationally recognized standards for bicycle helmets adopted by the department may continue to be worn by a bicycle rider or passenger until January 1, 2016. As used in this subsection, the term “passenger” includes a child who is riding in a trailer or semitrailer attached to a bicycle.

(e) Law enforcement officers and school crossing guards may issue a bicycle safety brochure and a verbal warning to a bicycle rider or passenger who violates this subsection. A bicycle rider or passenger who violates this subsection may be issued a citation by a law enforcement officer and assessed a fine for a pedestrian violation, as provided in s. 318.18. The court shall dismiss the charge against a bicycle rider or passenger for a first violation of paragraph (d) upon proof of purchase of a bicycle helmet that complies with this subsection.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Veteran member

I agree with another poster there are people on the road that absolutely do not want to share the road . Be it a motorcycle a bicycle etc. If it is not their mode of transportation it should not be allowed. For those against bicycle's on the road suggest you bone up on the laws re same. Take your road rage and corral it. Life is shorter than you think.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I believe the law for interstate travel requires a motorized vehicle must maintain a speed no less than 15 mph below the speed limit or may be ticketed for causing a hazardous traffic condition. That seems logical to me. Maybe that should be applied to all modes of transportation on heavily traveled roads. If that was applied to Buena Vista, cyclists would have to maintain 20 mph.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.