Bicycles on major roads

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
Why aren't all of you out riding your bikes today?
You're right, Walter! It was a beautiful day to ride and that is what I did...a pleasant 30 miler with 8 others in my recumbent bike club.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:37 PM

good question..bikes are allowed on all roads but golf carts aren't ...tractors and haybalers are allowed IF they display
an SLOW MOVING VEHICLE triangular shaped reflective sign on the back of their unit...but bikes aren't required to do that..I think that ALL bikes/recumbents and golfcarts should be REQUIRED to display that rectangular SLOW MOVING VEHICLE sign on the back of their vehicle
Old 01-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
The Villages was, recently, awarded the silver designation as a bike friendly community by The League of American Bicyclists. I wonder if the ranking committee ever read the posts on this forum?

I'm sure if they did they would take it for what it is...a very typical forum where a vocal minority can make anything sound worse than it really is.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
And I answered you - the neighborhood streets. I would not suggest a 12 year guest ride on Buena Vista anymore than I would let a 5 year old play with a gun. As for myself, I am perfectly comfortable riding on Buena Vista and consider it safer than the multimodal paths but caution is needed in the roundabouts. Just like caution is needed on the multimodal paths around every corner, in the tunnels, where they cross the Village entrances, where the paths split, where carts, cyclists, and runners all converge, etc. I think you get the idea.
You are right. I was thinking about what I wrote while I was shopping and then asked myself are there things that I do that I would not feel comfortable allowing a 12 year old to do. I apologise. Sometimes I get cought in the debate and forget about common sense.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Sage

No problem. If I was to give a single piece of advice to cars and golf carts regarding cyclists it would be "give them a lot of space".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
You are right. I was thinking about what I wrote while I was shopping and then asked myself are there things that I do that I would not feel comfortable allowing a 12 year old to do. I apologise. Sometimes I get cought in the debate and forget about common sense.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Drainage, Beautification, Maintenance of Stop Signs? Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
An excellent post, Perrjojo. And as far as bicycles paying any kind of road or licensing fee, ridiculous!
Bikes don't have anything to do with wear and tear on the roadways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Licensing and fees are not just about wear and tear. It is about regulation, making sure your vehicle (cycle) is in proper working condition, maintenance of stop signs, warning signs, traffic lights, drainage improvements, beautification, NEW roads, better access, maybe even more attention to cycle friendly design, and on and on.
I did not say that licensing fees had anything to do with wear and tear.
Note they are two separate sentences.

Why would anyone even consider a regulation or law regarding a bicycle being in "good shape" when we don't even have state inspection for cars?
The other things you mention are absurd and have nothing to do with bicycles.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Licensing and fees are not just about wear and tear. It is about regulation, making sure your vehicle (cycle) is in proper working condition, maintenance of stop signs, warning signs, traffic lights, drainage improvements, beautification, NEW roads, better access, maybe even more attention to cycle friendly design, and on and on.
I believe the registration for my cars cover all of the above mentioned.. SO now you want me to pay on my bicycle also.
I guess we need to also come up with a registration fee for the roller bladers also who use the MMP and side streets. Maybe even a sneaker fee for the runners to help create friendly running paths in The Villages, but wait we already have so called friendly places for all, at least I thought.

If we need to make sure vehicles are safe, then we need to go back to the ole State yearly inspections.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryW View Post
I believe the registration for my cars cover all of the above mentioned.. SO now you want me to pay on my bicycle also.
I guess we need to also come up with a registration fee for the roller bladers also who use the MMP and side streets. Maybe even a sneaker fee for the runners to help create friendly running paths in The Villages, but wait we already have so called friendly places for all, at least I thought.

If we need to make sure vehicles are safe, then we need to go back to the ole State yearly inspections.
I was just using the argument to point out that licensing and fees are not used solely for wear and tear. I'm not advocating registering bicycles.
Anyone using the MMP is supposed to be paying the amenity fee (I think). Some probably don't, but that is an enforcement issue. People pay extra fees to ride their motorcycle, scooter, even electric golf cart (Par Car NEV). By your logic, if someone has a licensed vehicle, then additional vehicles using the roads should not have to pay?
Old 01-23-2015, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I did not say that licensing fees had anything to do with wear and tear.
Note they are two separate sentences.

Why would anyone even consider a regulation or law regarding a bicycle being in "good shape" when we don't even have state inspection for cars?
The other things you mention are absurd and have nothing to do with bicycles.
I guess I misunderstood you comment. The way you put the two statements together, led me to think that they were somehow related.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
Yes I do! You are using and enjoying the road MORE having a car and a bicycle, Pay MORE for it. Seems fair to me...

If bicyclist were required to pay for license plates, they would have to display the plate on the bicycle. When they came to the line of cars waiting their turn at a 4 way stop intersection and the cyclist proceeded to rudely drive up the side of the vehicles already sitting there (of course he has his Lance Armstrong wannabe outfit on! ), someone could video tape it on their phone, get the cyclist license plate number, and file a complaint with police.

I agree that there are nut jobs behind the wheel of some cars, but IMHO there seems to be a greater percentage of nut jobs on bicycles. Several times a year I experience bicyclist riding their bicycle down a windy 2 lane road during morning rush hour (people are trying to get to work on time!) and the bicyclist is waving at me to pass in a non passing zone were I can't see if anyone is coming from the other way. I don't trust that stranger's opinion weather there is enough room to pass...just ridiculous!

BTW - I have and ride a bicycle on occasion, and when I do, I ride on the bike path. I would not need to have license plates there...
Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

and the wheels on the bus go round and round
round and round, round and round
and the wheels on the buss go round and round
all through TOTV
Old 01-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
and the wheels on the bus go round and round
round and round, round and round
and the wheels on the buss go round and round
all through TOTV
Now that is funny
Old 01-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
Yes I do! You are using and enjoying the road MORE having a car and a bicycle, Pay MORE for it. Seems fair to me...

If bicyclist were required to pay for license plates, they would have to display the plate on the bicycle. When they came to the line of cars waiting their turn at a 4 way stop intersection and the cyclist proceeded to rudely drive up the side of the vehicles already sitting there (of course he has his Lance Armstrong wannabe outfit on! ), someone could video tape it on their phone, get the cyclist license plate number, and file a complaint with police.

I agree that there are nut jobs behind the wheel of some cars, but IMHO there seems to be a greater percentage of nut jobs on bicycles. Several times a year I experience bicyclist riding their bicycle down a windy 2 lane road during morning rush hour (people are trying to get to work on time!) and the bicyclist is waving at me to pass in a non passing zone were I can't see if anyone is coming from the other way. I don't trust that stranger's opinion weather there is enough room to pass...just ridiculous!

BTW - I have and ride a bicycle on occasion, and when I do, I ride on the bike path. I would not need to have license plates there...
You have to get to the path some how,,, I know it does not come out of you front door,, so there fore you would be the first one pegged for a trail fee,

If you require a bike registration, all bikes. Does not matter where you ride, you must have it. Not sure why anyone would think the law would not apply to them...
Might be a good idea after all,, all the fees raised go to building bike roads,, no cars allowed.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
...BTW - I have and ride a bicycle on occasion, and when I do, I ride on the bike path. I would not need to have license plates there...
I bet you have to ride on your local street to get to the cart path.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:25 PM

licence plate fees are by weight so how much is it for a 12 pound bike? $1.50 per year?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.