Bicyclist Killed on Hillsborough Trail

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2023, 07:07 AM

With all the legal background you must have please enlighten us what charges you would bring based on the current statutes and not you opinion.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:07 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,617 Times in 436 Posts

New resident here - really would like to buy a bike, but am second guessing my decision whether to or not - I don’t know if I would feel safe riding on the streets and paths of The Villages.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:12 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
New resident here - really would like to buy a bike, but am second guessing my decision whether to or not - I don’t know if I would feel safe riding on the streets and paths of The Villages.
I feel very safe riding on the streets, but "you" have to be aware & alert, not listening to music and be young enough to react quickly if needed.

AND

Don't ignore traffic signs.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:13 AM

I am a regular bicyclist and ride 25+ miles 3-4 times a week and feel That is a completely ignorant and plain stupid statement. Try reading the statute before you make such a ridiculous comment. No way you can argue depraved indifference in this situation.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:13 AM

A guy is just riding along hillsborough having a wonderful morning and taken out by somebody else's mistake, so sad.

Joe
Old 03-26-2023, 07:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
I don’t know if I would feel safe riding on the streets and paths of The Villages.
We are going bike riding today on some of the beautiful walking/biking paths, but we will not ride on any street or path that allows cars or golf carts because it is much too dangerous.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Buy one and enjoy the good weather and miles of flat roads and paths.

You won't know whether you will feel safe until you try it. While accidents get a lot of attention on these boards and certainly are tragic for those involved, when compared to the number of riders and cumulative miles they are rare. Obey the traffic laws and maybe avoid riding when the sun is low in the sky and you will reduce the chances of having a problem.

My biggest concern the few times I ride is the chance I might not notice a car behind me as I move into the lane to make a left turn; a mirror helps with that. Otherwise, I feel as safe on a bike as I do on foot.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-26-2023, 07:27 AM

How sad you people make a tragedy into a joke comments. A man lost his life and all you can do is make fun with your stupid jokes. It’s an article just telling you to be aware and your stupidness comes out right away so disrespectful. Enjoy your time above ground.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:28 AM

///

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 03-26-2023, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamo View Post
How sad you people make a tragedy into a joke comments. A man lost his life and all you can do is make fun with your stupid jokes. It’s an article just telling you to be aware and your stupidness comes out right away so disrespectful. Enjoy your time above ground.
What in the world are you talking about??

You really need to include the comment you are replying to. I just looked back over the previous 37 comments and didn't see one joke in there.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-26-2023, 07:37 AM
Default VERY SAD, but what else is new!

This is so tragic, to see a bicyclist killed while on a golf cart path. As an avid rider, I see scenarios like this every day. I will never ride on the street, as it is even worse. However, when I am on the golf cart path, it is always evident that, a LOT of Golf Cart Drivers HATE BICYCLISTS. They get right up on your rear, they pass nearly knocking you over, and when a golf cart path separates, and becomes a narrow one-way section, they hate it because theymust stay behind you for 30 seconds.

I wish something could be done about this. It is even worse when people let their grandkids drive their golf carts under the age of 16.

They posted regulation speed of a golf cart should not exceed 20 mph. It is very rare that anyone goes under 20! I would bet also speed may have had something to do with this accident, despite being on a turn!

Last edited by joeymanko; 03-26-2023 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymanko View Post
This is so tragic, to see a bicyclist killed while on a golf cart path. .
???
Old 03-26-2023, 07:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymanko View Post
This is so tragic, to see a bicyclist killed while on a golf cart path. As an avid rider, I see scenarios like this every day. I will never ride on the street, as it is even worse. However, when I am on the golf cart path, it is always evident that, a LOT of Golf Cart Drivers HATE BICYCLISTS. They get right up on your rear, they pass nearly knocking you over, and when a golf cart path separates, and becomes a narrow one-way section, they hate it because theymust stay behind you for 30 seconds.

I wish something could be done about this. It is even worse when people let their grandkids drive their golf carts under the age of 16.

They posted regulation speed of a golf cart should not exceed 20 mph. It is very rare that anyone goes under 20! I would bet also speed had something to do with this accident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
???

Yep, it's too hard to read every post in a 3 page thread. This was on Hillsborough Trail which is a STREET.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:45 AM

bicks dont have to stop just go right along pull right in front of you
Old 03-26-2023, 07:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
What in the world are you talking about?? You really need to include the comment you are replying to. I just looked back over the previous 37 comments and didn't see one joke in there.
Chamo posts:

OMG this is what I moved here for.

Complain complain complain that’s all I read here. If you don’t like it move. Life is too short and are cases even shorter.

People are never satisfied if your not complaining about something your not happy.

Here we go again the idiots come out bashing service dogs in stores & restaurants. Anything to voice their opinion in threads

Omg why are you asking for opinions from others when the only one that counts is yours.

All I can say is do your homework it’s easy enough now.

When does it end?

OMG people grow some thicker skin.

Tags
golf, cart, bicyclist, killed, gaskins

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.