Big House Fire Behind Colony?

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Thumbs up

I was on the first tee about 5:30 last nite when I saw a big cloud of heavy black smoke rising up to the east of me. Thought when we get to the green, we'll be able to tell where it's coming from (the green was higher up). But by the time we got there, the smoke was almost gone!
Thanks to the Villages Fire Dept for such a quick response!!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Sage

According to a news source, the house was in the Village of Hadley on Rhapsody Path. The owner, Paul Dugan, and his fiancée, Faye Dudas, were in the home when Dugan heard an explosion in the garage at around 5 p.m, Monday, August 13. They both escaped without injury.

The State Fire Marshall's Office is expected to investigate the cause of the fire.

District Public Safety Department Chief Mike Tucker said the entire garage, a 2010 Chrysler Country Limited, a 1992 Chevy Corvette and a golf cart, all inside the garage, were all damaged by the flames. There was smoke damage to the inside of the structure, but no damage inside due to flames. The heat of the fire melted the siding on a neighbor, Marjorie Wdowiak's house, but didn't do any structural damage.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

their house and a vette
Old 08-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post
What 'same thing'?
The fire started in the garage----apparently same in Hadley house fire. The house in St. Charles had an electric cart plugged in and our friends said they were told that the fire started from the cart. I am not saying that was the case in Hadley----except both fires apparently started in the garage.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Sage

WOW!! With 2 cars in the garage.....with gasoline in their tanks.........it's a wonder the whole house didn't go up!

Sad to hear that they had the fire - never a good thing.

Bill
Old 08-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Veteran member

Good thing the fire rated ceiling was not breached with a vent or an exaust fan into the attic. Fire can spread very fast once it gets to the attic.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Veteran member

Sorry to hijack a thread, but How do you start a new thread? I know you click on START A THREAD but where is it?

Last edited by skyc6; 08-14-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: I no longer need the answer because I found it.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
Good thing the fire rated ceiling was not breached with a vent or an exaust fan into the attic. Fire can spread very fast once it gets to the attic.
A properly vented garage will keep gas fumes from accumulating and causing spontaneous combustion. Venting should be done to the outside, not into the attic, and fresh air needs to be allowed into the garage. Also there should be a firewall in the attic between the garage and the rest of the house to minimize spreading. I'll bet there's not a house in TV with that firewall.
In reality, they're different!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
A properly vented garage will keep gas fumes from accumulating and causing spontaneous combustion. Venting should be done to the outside, not into the attic, and fresh air needs to be allowed into the garage. Also there should be a firewall in the attic between the garage and the rest of the house to minimize spreading.
Quite a few people have talked about adding vents or fans into their attics on TOTV. Some leave the attic stairs open to cool their garages. There are no firewalls in the attics in The Villages.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyc6 View Post
Sorry to hijack a thread, but How do you start a new thread? I know you click on START A THREAD but where is it?

Sorry--I found it!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Veteran member

My husband put two smoke alarms in the garage and one is over the electric golf cart. He also put one in the attic. Hope we never hear them go off, but I feel better knowing they are there. He also had vents put in the garage door and a fan in the attic.

I am glad that no one was hurt in that fire.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
A properly vented garage will keep gas fumes from accumulating and causing spontaneous combustion. Venting should be done to the outside, not into the attic, and fresh air needs to be allowed into the garage.
Also there SHOULD BE A FIREWALL IN THE ATTIC BETWEEN THE GARAGE AND THE REST OF THE HOUSE to minimize spreading.
I'll bet there's not a house in TV with that firewall.
Hope no one was hurt in the recent home fire.

Was up at our ATTIC a month ago....Have not slept well since.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Good friend in St. Charles 2 years ago his neighbor had same thing happen in his garage. It melted my friends siding too. It was determined something to do with the electric cart that was plug in the garage and fire spread-----neighbor wasn't home. House had to be completely rebuilt.
Batteries emit hydrogen gas while being charged. If the garage is vented, the hydrogen gas will escape through the attic. If it isn't vented, it will be trapped in the garage.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-15-2012, 05:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagal View Post
My husband put two smoke alarms in the garage and one is over the electric golf cart. He also put one in the attic. Hope we never hear them go off, but I feel better knowing they are there. He also had vents put in the garage door and a fan in the attic.

I am glad that no one was hurt in that fire.
Your husband is smart. Did he wire them into the house smoke alarms so they all go off at the same time? That would be the way to go and it should be standard in homes. Just wondering if the CO from a car exhaust would affect them?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:59 AM
Sage

Sometimes, smoke detectors can trigger false alarms from the car exhaust. We've got heat detectors in our garages here in OH, wired into the security system.

Just another option.....

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.