Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
its the reason to put a GoPro on your bike
Old 12-20-2016, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
its the reason to put a GoPro on your bike
So when the video is reviewed by LEO's after an accident and it shows the cyclist blowing through a stop sign, should the evidence of that infraction be used to cite the cyclist even though it might not be part of the accident investigation?
Old 12-20-2016, 08:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
So when the video is reviewed by LEO's after an accident and it shows the cyclist blowing through a stop sign, should the evidence of that infraction be used to cite the cyclist even though it might not be part of the accident investigation?
First I hope bike rider is ok. This was 2nd cheap shot even for this forum.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
First I hope bike rider is ok. This was 2nd cheap shot even for this forum.
Agree.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Veteran member
Default Bike riding

Yes we do see your points about bikes and cars and carts.

As a bike rider, consider this. When we looked at this place, three times before purchase, we thought, really, how nice to have the bike paths, lots of greenery, low speed limit signs etc. Well after moving here we are seeing it all.
For the biker, it is quest for exercise, it is the hope for fresh air, it is the lack of gas and gas exhausts, seems too good to be true until we find the truth.
But, there are those hazards, we have talked to three families that have sold their bikes due to the hazards and no one needs to tell us of it all being the bikers fault.
But sorry about the rant, welcome to Boston.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Unfortunately I would not call The Villages a "bike friendly community". Just my opinion but the multi-modal trails are just not really made for biking. Bikes, street legal golf carts and cars are suppose to co-exist on the roads of the villages making it very dangerous for the carts and bikes. Nope, not friendly.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Unfortunately I would not call The Villages a "bike friendly community". Just my opinion but the multi-modal trails are just not really made for biking. Bikes, street legal golf carts and cars are suppose to co-exist on the roads of the villages making it very dangerous for the carts and bikes. Nope, not friendly.
IMH opinion TV is kamikaze heaven, both golf carts and cars speeding everywhere. There are basically no police on the roads writing hefty tickets for speeding and I am not sure that anyone on the road understands the road signs. For instance Stop is optional as are traffic lights. I was waiting at a red light yesterday and the person in the car behind me mounted the grass verge and drove over it to get into the Village gate! Seriously, old man, you could not wait for the traffic light to turn green and I could get out of your way! I left LSL driving Morse the other day and the guy behind me was standing on the horn - I assume he did not think I was driving fast enough and if he got through me what was he going to do with the traffic in front of me. I turned left onto BV and he blew past me continuing across BV on Morse and stood on his horn with his finger out of the window ... and a very Merry Christmas to you too!

It was safer to drive in the City than here!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I tend to agree, but what is your suggestion? Separate cycle paths? How about separate pedestrian paths? What about the "cyclists" who are elderly and just lollygagging at 5 mph---do we need TWO separate cycle paths, one for "serious" cyclists and one for "amateurs"? What about LSVs? I find them to be a bigger road hazard than cyclists, do we need a separate lane for them? This is no different than the issue with the LLLC---how far do we go to make a "reasonable" accommodation to a minority that feels they need special treatment? Thank God Congress hasn't passed an "ACA"---American cyclist act.

The reality is that we all have to share the roads and MMPs. Personally, I feel it is incumbent upon the driver with the larger, heavier vehicle to take extra precaution when in the vicinity of a smaller, slower, lighter entity. If you're driving a car, pay extra attention to cyclists on the road, slow down and anticipate stupidity. After all, you're the one behind the wheel of a lethal weapon. This goes for all the drivers that recklessly race to a merge point to "beat" a cart there. It applies to driving a cart on the MMP and coming up on a pedestrian or slow cyclist.

I believe most of these accidents are caused by a lack of attentiveness, which is doubly important at this time of the year. Last week I set a personal best. Driving from Morse and 441, south to Stillwater then south on BV to Hillsborough gate, I had to lean on my horn FIVE TIMES in the RBs due to utter stupidity on the part of 4 cars and 1 LSV. This is NOT the bumper car ride at an amusement park, this is NOT Russian roulette, so PAY ATTENTION, please.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
IMH opinion TV is kamikaze heaven, both golf carts and cars speeding everywhere. There are basically no police on the roads writing hefty tickets for speeding and I am not sure that anyone on the road understands the road signs. For instance Stop is optional as are traffic lights. I was waiting at a red light yesterday and the person in the car behind me mounted the grass verge and drove over it to get into the Village gate! Seriously, old man, you could not wait for the traffic light to turn green and I could get out of your way! I left LSL driving Morse the other day and the guy behind me was standing on the horn - I assume he did not think I was driving fast enough and if he got through me what was he going to do with the traffic in front of me. I turned left onto BV and he blew past me continuing across BV on Morse and stood on his horn with his finger out of the window ... and a very Merry Christmas to you too!

It was safer to drive in the City than here!
So typical. But just one question---how do you continue across BV on Morse????? and how do you turn left on BV from Morse????
Old 12-21-2016, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
So typical. But just one question---how do you continue across BV on Morse????? and how do you turn left on BV from Morse????
OH, my mistake. I was making a left onto 466 not Bv. My apologies.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
OH, my mistake. I was making a left onto 466 not Bv. My apologies.
NP. Now for the real question---Since this guy was in a reckless hurry, and rude to boot, why did he go all the way up Morse, across the bridge and around the RB, 2 lanes all the way to 466 before "blowing by you". It would seem to indicate you weren't going any slower than the traffic in the lane you did not occupy. Maybe he needed to hand out several dozen one finger salutes
Old 12-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Gold member
Default It is in the end simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I tend to agree, but what is your suggestion? Separate cycle paths? How about separate pedestrian paths? What about the "cyclists" who are elderly and just lollygagging at 5 mph---do we need TWO separate cycle paths, one for "serious" cyclists and one for "amateurs"? What about LSVs? I find them to be a bigger road hazard than cyclists, do we need a separate lane for them? This is no different than the issue with the LLLC---how far do we go to make a "reasonable" accommodation to a minority that feels they need special treatment? Thank God Congress hasn't passed an "ACA"---American cyclist act.

The reality is that we all have to share the roads and MMPs. Personally, I feel it is incumbent upon the driver with the larger, heavier vehicle to take extra precaution when in the vicinity of a smaller, slower, lighter entity. If you're driving a car, pay extra attention to cyclists on the road, slow down and anticipate stupidity. After all, you're the one behind the wheel of a lethal weapon. This goes for all the drivers that recklessly race to a merge point to "beat" a cart there. It applies to driving a cart on the MMP and coming up on a pedestrian or slow cyclist.

I believe most of these accidents are caused by a lack of attentiveness, which is doubly important at this time of the year. Last week I set a personal best. Driving from Morse and 441, south to Stillwater then south on BV to Hillsborough gate, I had to lean on my horn FIVE TIMES in the RBs due to utter stupidity on the part of 4 cars and 1 LSV. This is NOT the bumper car ride at an amusement park, this is NOT Russian roulette, so PAY ATTENTION, please.
In the VILLAGES, we are mostly all RETIRED OR ON VACATION. DO YOU FIND YOU ARE IN A HURRY TO RELAX????????????
I drive a car, ride a bike and drive a golf cart.
WOW-I would need to write a book to cover all the things people do wrong.
In a golf cart your speed limit is 20 mph. Yes, I too know how to adjust it to go faster. You know if yours has been adjusted to go faster, YOU WILL GO FASTER THAN WHAT IS LEGAL. Truth be told, a golf cart is designed to go 15mph at 20mph you are pushing it. YOU ONLY HAVE BRAKES ON THE REAR WHEELS. WHEN YOU BRAKE THE WEIGHT GOES FORWARD AND SO IT SKIDS EASILY. THEN PEOPLE GET 4 SEATERS. We've all seen them with four people weighing 250 each rammed into the cart. FOLKS THAT IS 1,000 POUNDS IN A CART THAT WEIGHS 1100 POUNDS.

YOU CANNOT CONTROL ALL THE STUPID THINGS OTHER PEOPLE DO-YOU CAN CONTROL THE STUPID THINGS YOU DO. ARE YOU PERHAPS ONE OF THE ONES IN A HURRY TO RELAX????????????????
Old 12-21-2016, 01:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
In the VILLAGES, we are mostly all RETIRED OR ON VACATION. DO YOU FIND YOU ARE IN A HURRY TO RELAX????????????
I drive a car, ride a bike and drive a golf cart.
WOW-I would need to write a book to cover all the things people do wrong.
In a golf cart your speed limit is 20 mph. Yes, I too know how to adjust it to go faster. You know if yours has been adjusted to go faster, YOU WILL GO FASTER THAN WHAT IS LEGAL. Truth be told, a golf cart is designed to go 15mph at 20mph you are pushing it. YOU ONLY HAVE BRAKES ON THE REAR WHEELS. WHEN YOU BRAKE THE WEIGHT GOES FORWARD AND SO IT SKIDS EASILY. THEN PEOPLE GET 4 SEATERS. We've all seen them with four people weighing 250 each rammed into the cart. FOLKS THAT IS 1,000 POUNDS IN A CART THAT WEIGHS 1100 POUNDS.

YOU CANNOT CONTROL ALL THE STUPID THINGS OTHER PEOPLE DO-YOU CAN CONTROL THE STUPID THINGS YOU DO. ARE YOU PERHAPS ONE OF THE ONES IN A HURRY TO RELAX????????????????
Please explain how, on God's green Earth, you came away with that comment from my post. Please re-read it, I suspect you thought it said something that it didn't.
Closed Thread

Tags
bike, car, hospital, alive, dead

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.