Bikes on the road

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2021, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

There seem to be several on here, both motorists and cyclists, who aren't aware of the bicycle laws - that's unfortunate.

What's worse are the few who imply/suggest/state/brag they will knowingly break the law because they can get away with it. It's no wonder groups get a bad reputation.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 09-18-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

[QUOTE=Topgun 1776;2006057]I'm totally calm...lol! Enjoying the absurdity of comments. Cyclists are here to stay...in fact, we're growing in numbers everyday.
The majority of owners are cyclists in the new areas south. /QUOTE]

The majority? I highly doubt that...

A higher percentage than North of 44? Possibly, but the MAJORITY? Sure...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-18-2021, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Many golf cart operators are rude and operate their carts in dangerous ways.

Really, biker’S are little angels.
Why does this remind me of third grade. Caught, cheating. Defense but you didn't catch Johnny. I am not perfect. Sadly, people object to what others do. Our major control is what we do.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:12 PM

Bicycles are street legal by State Laws. Although they have become rude to traffic, it’s a good thing that stay off of the golf cart paths!
Old 09-18-2021, 05:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
When bikes stop they lose momentum. On multimodal paths you stop, a lot.

On multimodal paths there are many types of vehicles and walkers which travel at different speeds creating obstacles. Walkers are generally unaware that bikes are behind them no matter how much you signal, speak, or yell. They fail to yeild

Golf carts are unaware of physics, that on four wheels you take corners very slowly and bikes do not. Many golf cart operators are rude and operate their carts in dangerous ways.

Roads do not have tunnels. No tunnels mean you can maintain cadence. Pedal cadence is important to cyclists.

Finally, and some what obvious by now: multimodal paths are dangerous for cyclists. It is legal for cyclists to operate on the road, not so for most golf carts, and not so for walkers when a sidewalk is available.

I hope this answers the question.
We were stuck behind a group of about a dozen cyclist on a multimodal path other day and they wouldn’t let us pass. So much for better behavior from cyclists.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneysblue View Post
We were stuck behind a group of about a dozen cyclist on a multimodal path other day and they wouldn’t let us pass. So much for better behavior from cyclists.
Seems to be a thing now on TOTV----taking one incident and extrapolating it to a whole group

"I knew a nurse who refused to get vaccinated, so the vaccine must not be good"
"I saw a guy driving down Morse at 60 mph, all Villagers must speed"
"I went to a show at Savannah and no one was wearing a mask"---oops, looks like the crowd got that one right

Well, you get the idea
Old 09-18-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
It's really nice to cruise along in my car without having to stop/slow down/change lanes for cyclists. ONLY 15 mph slower than the speed limit?????? That's like a car doing 55 on the interstate. <sarcasm>

In reality, I have no problem with cyclists on the roads with one exception-----they ARE REQUIRED to follow vehicular traffic laws, but frequently do not. The best example is blowing through the yield signs at a RB in a pack of 20. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO YIELD. PERIOD. I don't care if it disturbs your "pedal cadence". Too bad. When I have to yield in a car or cart, it disturbs my rhythm as well. What disturbs me more is coming around a RB and having to brake as 20 cyclists continue to blow through a yield sign. And I mean come to a complete stop for these clowns. You are NOT a funeral procession. You have no special privileges. If you want to exercise your "right" to be on a main road, then you should obey the rules that accompany that right. And then God forbid you lean on your horn----note the one finger salutes en masse.
Well I'm sure you aren't suggesting that cyclists (who are within the law on the road) get in the way of an auto driver trying to speed (which is not within the law). And I'm also sure you aren't saying speeding is fine but rolling a stop sign could be considered a vigilante enforced capital offense.

But hey, I can help you define the roundabout problem. I'm guessing you've experienced coming around a roundabout with a pack of riders incoming. The first few riders...they have plenty of room to go in front of you, no problem. Somewhere in the middle of the pack it's looking like it's going to get close. So you, as a normal and reasonable person, slow down. The riders in the middle of the pack see this and assume you are "letting them go" so they gun it and get into the circle in front of you, forcing you to wait.

When you are riding at the front of the group, you can't determine what the scenario is going to be like at the middle of the group. When you are in the middle of the group, if the car doesn't slow down then you yield, as you should. The problem is when the car slows down....then you often end up with the really awkward situation of everybody stopping. Yes the group should split but if the car stops too then everybody is stopped, the car often won't take the right of way and the cyclists can't really get moving very fast so everybody ends up sitting there frustrated.

I'm not entirely sure how to avoid this problem but I'm with you, both riders and cars should follow the rules, that's for sure.

Joe
Old 09-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
Well I'm sure you aren't suggesting that cyclists (who are within the law on the road) get in the way of an auto driver trying to speed (which is not within the law). And I'm also sure you aren't saying speeding is fine but rolling a stop sign could be considered a vigilante enforced capital offense.

But hey, I can help you define the roundabout problem. I'm guessing you've experienced coming around a roundabout with a pack of riders incoming. The first few riders...they have plenty of room to go in front of you, no problem. Somewhere in the middle of the pack it's looking like it's going to get close. So you, as a normal and reasonable person, slow down. The riders in the middle of the pack see this and assume you are "letting them go" so they gun it and get into the circle in front of you, forcing you to wait.

When you are riding at the front of the group, you can't determine what the scenario is going to be like at the middle of the group. When you are in the middle of the group, if the car doesn't slow down then you yield, as you should. The problem is when the car slows down....then you often end up with the really awkward situation of everybody stopping. Yes the group should split but if the car stops too then everybody is stopped, the car often won't take the right of way and the cyclists can't really get moving very fast so everybody ends up sitting there frustrated.

I'm not entirely sure how to avoid this problem but I'm with you, both riders and cars should follow the rules, that's for sure.

Joe
I don't know how "speeding" entered into this post, but I agree with you about the problems in a RB. Actually, I don't really have a problem with cyclists who have already started entering the RB, my problem is when I'm coming around and a pack of cyclists just blow through the yield sign right in front of me so that I have to brake hard---I always hope the car behind me is paying attention
Old 09-18-2021, 07:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:

On multimodal paths there are many types of vehicles and walkers which travel at different speeds creating obstacles. Walkers are generally unaware that bikes are behind them no matter how much you signal, speak, or yell. They fail to yeild

Golf carts are unaware of physics, that on four wheels you take corners very slowly and bikes do not. Many golf cart operators are rude and operate their carts in dangerous ways.

Roads do not have tunnels. No tunnels mean you can maintain cadence. Pedal cadence is important to cyclists.

Finally, and some what obvious by now: multimodal paths are dangerous for cyclists. It is legal for cyclists to operate on the road, not so for most golf carts, and not so for walkers when a sidewalk is available.

This is about the most complete accurate response to this question, which comes up often in various forms, I have ever seen. It may be counterintuitive to non-bikers, but on the road traveling with traffic is the safest place a biker can ride.

Thank you for the clear, accurate informative post. I hope people read and think about it.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
Bicycles are street legal by State Laws. Although they have become rude to traffic, it’s a good thing that stay off of the golf cart paths!
Well, since they're not playing golf, I do believe they have to...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-18-2021, 07:39 PM

Good question
Old 09-18-2021, 08:04 PM
Default Bikes On The Road

Quote:

You're a thoughtful person, Toymeister, I couldn't have said it as well.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:21 AM

Bicyclist endanger themselves, don't blame others. On the interstate I don't drive my car in packs of Semi trucks.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
You answered nothing. Bicycles should only be allowed where golf carts are allowed
. You forgot to take your meds!!!!
Old 09-19-2021, 05:50 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
There seem to be several on here, both motorists and cyclists, who aren't aware of the bicycle laws - that's unfortunate.

What's worse are the few who imply/suggest/state/brag they will knowingly break the law because they can get away with it. It's no wonder groups get a bad reputation.
Cyclists who want motorists to strictly obey the law, but they themselves don't want to be bothered by stop signs, red lights or yield signs, is not just a TV problem, as it is an 'entitlement mentality' that happens everywhere. The big difference with TV versus most other places, is that cyclists have the option of being able to use miles and miles of MMP's around The Villages, thereby avoiding the more dangerous vehicular traffic on roads. I plan on using my bike a lot when we get there, but after seeing all of the issues in roundabouts with just automobiles, I think I'll take my chances on MMP's whenever possible.
Closed Thread

Tags
road, bikes, multi, paths, literally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.