Bikes on the road

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2021, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,177 Times in 4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
Bikes have as much right to be on the road as you automobile, paths are for walkers and carts!
And bicycles... Hence the term "Multi-Modal"

-Tom Petty
Old 09-19-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
When bikes stop they lose momentum. On multimodal paths you stop, a lot.

On multimodal paths there are many types of vehicles and walkers which travel at different speeds creating obstacles. Walkers are generally unaware that bikes are behind them no matter how much you signal, speak, or yell. They fail to yeild

Golf carts are unaware of physics, that on four wheels you take corners very slowly and bikes do not. Many golf cart operators are rude and operate their carts in dangerous ways.

Roads do not have tunnels. No tunnels mean you can maintain cadence. Pedal cadence is important to cyclists.

Finally, and some what obvious by now: multimodal paths are dangerous for cyclists. It is legal for cyclists to operate on the road, not so for most golf carts, and not so for walkers when a sidewalk is available.

I hope this answers the question.
I agree except the walkers and runners should be in the opposite lane of the cyclists and golf carts. Many walkers and runners do NOT know the rules and they're going to get hit!
Old 09-19-2021, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 1776 View Post
What decade are you living in? What obscure link did you get that from...or did you invent it? I googled "Motorist charged with endangering cyclists" and got 100s of hits...like this one...of criminally negligent homicide...

"The teenage driver who ran a red light in Brooklyn earlier this month and smashed into another car, which then struck and killed 52-year-old cyclist Jose Alzorriz, has been charged with eleven crimes, including manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide. Both of those charges are felonies.".

Running the red light didn't cause the CNH charge, killing the cyclist did.

While a criminal court may be limited to a fine or jail time...a civil court case will bankrupt you. If me or my fellow cyclists are obeying the law...and someone threatens us in with/in a motor vehicle, I will use both remedies to the utmost of my ability.

My advice is simply learn to live with us on the road...and don't take your preferences and anger out on us...because we're here to stay.
Again, you cite cases of personal injury and death. I am referring to the claim that LEO's would issue "tickets" for "near misses" because the cyclist claimed it was true or had a personal video recording. IT IS NOT THE SAME THING.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:10 PM
Bosoxfan

I was knocked off my bike 6 months back exiting the roundabout near the McClure gate at Fenney Way. The driver of the car who entered the roundabout from warm springs never stopped after clipping my rear tire. I was lucky enough to land in the grass. Even though it's my right to be on the road I avoid them and stay on the mmp's
Old 09-20-2021, 11:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Even though it's my right to be on the road I avoid them and stay on the mmp's
Even though it's my right as a cyclist to be on the MMP, I avoid them and stay on the walking/biking paths.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Even though it's my right as a cyclist to be on the MMP, I avoid them and stay on the walking/biking paths.
Some of us have to use them to get to the walking/bike trails though.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
It's really nice to cruise along in my car without having to stop/slow down/change lanes for cyclists. ONLY 15 mph slower than the speed limit?????? That's like a car doing 55 on the interstate. <sarcasm>

In reality, I have no problem with cyclists on the roads with one exception-----they ARE REQUIRED to follow vehicular traffic laws, but frequently do not. The best example is blowing through the yield signs at a RB in a pack of 20. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO YIELD. PERIOD. I don't care if it disturbs your "pedal cadence". Too bad. When I have to yield in a car or cart, it disturbs my rhythm as well. What disturbs me more is coming around a RB and having to brake as 20 cyclists continue to blow through a yield sign. And I mean come to a complete stop for these clowns. You are NOT a funeral procession. You have no special privileges. If you want to exercise your "right" to be on a main road, then you should obey the rules that accompany that right. And then God forbid you lean on your horn----note the one finger salutes en masse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I don't know how "speeding" entered into this post, but I agree with you about the problems in a RB. Actually, I don't really have a problem with cyclists who have already started entering the RB, my problem is when I'm coming around and a pack of cyclists just blow through the yield sign right in front of me so that I have to brake hard---I always hope the car behind me is paying attention
When that happens the group of cyclists are 100% not following the rules and in the wrong, I hope it's not a common occurrence. It would irritated me too...and I'm a cyclist.

On a different subject, I've seen a few posts complaining of cyclists taking up the whole lane and need to comment. The size of the lanes in TV are such that if you are riding 2' left of the white line and a car needs at least 3' to safely pass. So the right side of your car needs to be at least 5 feet left of the white line and the lane simply isn't wide enough to fit your car around a single cyclist without moving into the L lane. Since you need to move into the L lane anyway, does it really matter if two cyclists are riding side by side?

Joe
Old 09-21-2021, 07:42 AM
Sage

You are correct and this is actually addressed in the statute. The statute makes reference to "sub-standard width roads". These are roads that are too narrow to allow for a car and a bike to be in the same lane adjacent to each other. The roads in The Villages are "sub-standard width roads". The net result is that cars need to pass cyclists in the oncoming lane on a two lane road (one lane in each direction), when it is safe to do so, and in the passing lane on a four lane road (two lanes in each direction). Cyclists should avoid occupying both lanes on a four lane road since they could be impeding traffic and in violation of the statute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
When that happens the group of cyclists are 100% not following the rules and in the wrong, I hope it's not a common occurrence. It would irritated me too...and I'm a cyclist.

On a different subject, I've seen a few posts complaining of cyclists taking up the whole lane and need to comment. The size of the lanes in TV are such that if you are riding 2' left of the white line and a car needs at least 3' to safely pass. So the right side of your car needs to be at least 5 feet left of the white line and the lane simply isn't wide enough to fit your car around a single cyclist without moving into the L lane. Since you need to move into the L lane anyway, does it really matter if two cyclists are riding side by side?

Joe

Last edited by biker1; 09-21-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:16 AM

On Buena Vista and Morse there is not enough room on the right side of the road to safely ride on as there is a big curb. Whenever I ride my bicycle on them I reserve the whole lane as there is not three feet from that curb that a car and bicycle can safely go side by side. I have to compliment the drivers that have passed me on these roads for always respecting that, never honking or shouting. simply changing lanes without ever really having to slow down. I believe that for a motorist to know where I am and what my intentions are removes doubts as to what they think and therefore makes a decision easier for them. Again I want to say that I have found motorists exceptional here in the villages. I have found golf cart drivers much worse on the MMP, especially where there are islands and tunnels.
Closed Thread

Tags
road, bikes, multi, paths, literally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.