Bikes on the road

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2021, 04:08 PM
Veteran member
Default Bikes on the road

Just curious but I’ve noticed there are always bikers riding on the main road. IE Morse, or Buena Vista, when the Multi paths are literally running parallel. Why do they do this?
Old 09-17-2021, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Cause they can.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

When bikes stop they lose momentum. On multimodal paths you stop, a lot.

On multimodal paths there are many types of vehicles and walkers which travel at different speeds creating obstacles. Walkers are generally unaware that bikes are behind them no matter how much you signal, speak, or yell. They fail to yeild

Golf carts are unaware of physics, that on four wheels you take corners very slowly and bikes do not. Many golf cart operators are rude and operate their carts in dangerous ways.

Roads do not have tunnels. No tunnels mean you can maintain cadence. Pedal cadence is important to cyclists.

Finally, and some what obvious by now: multimodal paths are dangerous for cyclists. It is legal for cyclists to operate on the road, not so for most golf carts, and not so for walkers when a sidewalk is available.

I hope this answers the question.

Last edited by Toymeister; 09-17-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post

On multimodal paths there are many types of vehicles and walkers which travel at different speeds creating obstacles. Walkers are generally unaware that bikes are behind them no matter how much you signal, speak, or yell. They fail to yeild

Golf carts are unaware of physics, that on four wheels you take corners very slowly and bikes do not. Many golf cart operators are rude and operate their carts in dangerous ways.

Roads do not have tunnels. No tunnels mean you can maintain cadence. Pedal cadence is important to cyclists.

Finally, and some what obvious by now: multimodal paths are dangerous for cyclists. It is legal for cyclists to operate on the road, not so for most golf carts, and not so for walkers when a sidewalk is available.

Many golf cart operators are rude and operate their carts in dangerous ways.

Really, biker’S are little angels.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

That does answer it, thanks. i don’t drive my golf cart anywhere, as I’m in a newer section and there’s no place to go yet. I do however ride my bike and agree about momentum and really agree about walkers never knowing I’m coming up behind them. But I only ride my bike so much here because they have so many bike baths. I love it. No golf carts allowed. Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Wow, I'll address just a couple of the misconceptions conveyed here. I am a long-time bike rider in TV. I ride almost daily and I use the multimodal paths (MMPs) exclusively.

On my average 10-15 mile ride, I encounter a few stop signs. Other than that, it very rare I have to stop. My ride is almost non-stop riding the whole way.

Even more important, the MMPs are NOT dangerous for bikers. In my opinion, the streets are far more dangerous. When I ride on an MMP, I am totally in control of my own safety. On the street, a biker's life is in the hands of every driver of a car or truck going 40+ mph as they drive by. I will not yield my control of my own safety. I have a couple basic rules I abide by on the MMPs to maintain that control...

I ride a hybrid bike, so if I see a cart or pedestrian that I think might be a conflict somehow, I exit onto the adjacent grass as needed. A piece of cake. Almost all areas have those grass exit areas. If I approach an area without an exit area, I search for approaching carts and adjust my speed as needed if necessary to avoid any conflict. Again, no problem at all.

I have ridden my bike on streets in my previous lives. Now riding my bike on the MPs in TV is one of my favorite parts of living here. Safety is a big reason for that. All the beauty and nature in the environment I ride in is just icing on the cake.

Last edited by Davonu; 09-17-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:58 PM

Let’s just all agree that there are bad car drivers, cart drivers, bicyclists, and walkers. No matter where you ride, drive or walk you have to think defensively and look well ahead for potential issues (and behind for bikes and walkers). I am south of 44 and I also exclusively use the MMP’s when I bike. However, I am out at 5 am and there is very little traffic anywhere. I use 3 lights to be seen along with reflective clothing and always give a verbal warning to any pedestrian I come up on (though many never hear it because of ear buds). Personally, I like my chances to avoid a golf cart more than avoiding a car in the street. But I understand why bikers ride in the street to not have to stop all the time at tunnels or street crossings. I just don’t trust the car drivers. Let’s all just be a little more considerate of each other and it will be a much more pleasant place.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:08 AM

Not to mention that everywhere in the U.S. bikes are street legal and golf carts usually aren't. Bikers have a legal right to use the streets if they please.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:24 AM

You guys keep saying that golf carts are not allowed on the street making it sound like it is safely. But excuse me, cars are on the street. They are bigger, faster and there are alot more of them than golf carts. I don't see how you can say that it is safer on the road. Just this past year there were three accidents that bicyclists had with cars, not golf carts.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:28 AM
Veteran member

Real bike riders can maintain speed and RPM on roads ,not possible on multimodal paths. Casual bike riders should use multi paths occasionally.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeaston View Post
Not to mention that everywhere in the U.S. bikes are street legal and golf carts usually aren't. Bikers have a legal right to use the streets if they please.
Obviously, and no place else has MMP’s like here. There is no questioning the legality of it, but as a biker, I much prefer to use the MMP’s so was just curious the reasoning behind preferring the roads. Now that I’ve heard some reasons, I’m still convinced the MMP’s are much better for bikers. They might be legal on the roads but they certainly take up an entire lane at 10 mph so every car has to move over into the other lane to get around them. I bet that’s fun come jan.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:32 AM

You answered nothing. Bicycles should only be allowed where golf carts are allowed
Old 09-18-2021, 05:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,177 Times in 4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
You answered nothing. Bicycles should only be allowed where golf carts are allowed
Should and are are two different things...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-18-2021, 05:55 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post
Wow, I'll address just a couple of the misconceptions conveyed here. I am a long-time bike rider in TV. I ride almost daily and I use the multimodal paths (MMPs) exclusively.

I have ridden my bike on streets in my previous lives. Now riding my bike on the MPs in TV is one of my favorite parts of living here. Safety is a big reason for that. All the beauty and nature in the environment I ride in is just icing on the cake.
Most of the people in TV have only had one life....
And I really prefer them to ride in the street. Don't want to encounter 10 to 20 bikes on MMPs.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:59 AM

It's really nice to cruise along on your bike without constant stopping for sharp curves into tunnels and road crossings. Plus the speed limit on BV and almost all of Morse is 35 so a biker or group of bikers going 20mph is only going 15mph slower than the speed limit. All of BV and most of Morse have 2 lanes in each direction so it's easy for cars to just move into the L lane to pass. If there is traffic I would hope that going 20mph for a few moments vs. 35mph isn't too much of a burden for the automobile drivers....it is definitely appreciated by the cyclist so thanks in advance

Joe
Closed Thread

Tags
road, bikes, multi, paths, literally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.