Bikes on the road

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2021, 06:02 AM
Default Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
Just curious but I’ve noticed there are always bikers riding on the main road. IE Morse, or Buena Vista, when the Multi paths are literally running parallel. Why do they do this?
just to be a pain in the ass. They whined until they got the path then they complain about the path so they ride on the road just to hold up traffic mainly because they are ********
Old 09-18-2021, 06:05 AM

This isn't the fault of the bikers. It is the fault of the fool community planners that build the bike paths to begin with. This same thing happens in every city where bike paths are created and yet the fools keep using money to create more. Don't waste money on bike paths that bikers have the right to and WILL refuse to use. Use the money on something else and BAN them from any 'paths' you do create for golf carts or pedestrians becuase you CAN'T ban them from the streets.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

I see a major problem with the bike riders, especially on Buena Vista. They take up the whole right hand lane and block traffic from using that lane. Sometimes, they are 2 or 3 across. They SHOULD be single file about 3 feet from the edge of the road.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
It's really nice to cruise along on your bike without constant stopping for sharp curves into tunnels and road crossings. Plus the speed limit on BV and almost all of Morse is 35 so a biker or group of bikers going 20mph is only going 15mph slower than the speed limit. All of BV and most of Morse have 2 lanes in each direction so it's easy for cars to just move into the L lane to pass. If there is traffic I would hope that going 20mph for a few moments vs. 35mph isn't too much of a burden for the automobile drivers....it is definitely appreciated by the cyclist so thanks in advance

Joe
It's really nice to cruise along in my car without having to stop/slow down/change lanes for cyclists. ONLY 15 mph slower than the speed limit?????? That's like a car doing 55 on the interstate. <sarcasm>

In reality, I have no problem with cyclists on the roads with one exception-----they ARE REQUIRED to follow vehicular traffic laws, but frequently do not. The best example is blowing through the yield signs at a RB in a pack of 20. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO YIELD. PERIOD. I don't care if it disturbs your "pedal cadence". Too bad. When I have to yield in a car or cart, it disturbs my rhythm as well. What disturbs me more is coming around a RB and having to brake as 20 cyclists continue to blow through a yield sign. And I mean come to a complete stop for these clowns. You are NOT a funeral procession. You have no special privileges. If you want to exercise your "right" to be on a main road, then you should obey the rules that accompany that right. And then God forbid you lean on your horn----note the one finger salutes en masse.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

I'd say many car drivers can be rude as well .
Old 09-18-2021, 06:28 AM
Veteran member

When there is a shoulder then bicycles are fine. But for roads like BV and Morse it is dangerous especially with all the circles.

Riders should get a bike rack and travel to a proper starting point if they desire to go on long rides on streets. Sort of like going to the gym. Cars should not have to change lanes for bicycle going a small fraction of the speed limit.

You do not see bicycles on interstate because it would be near suicide. As the speed limit is decreased the differential in speed makes it less dangerous but it is still a significant risk.

Last edited by ithos; 09-18-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
I'd say many car drivers can be rude as well .
You do realize that they are the same drivers?
Old 09-18-2021, 06:39 AM
Default Catmandu

In my first two months in the Villages I wouldn't want to ride a bike on the rode. Drivers here pass people in the roundabouts, drive like they are going to a fire. They do what they want, doesn't matter about anyone. Bikers also do what they want. I pulled up to a stop sign yesterday along with a cyclist, he never slowed down or stopped just went on through like wasn't there. My rant is over and this is just IMO.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:55 AM

Cyclists have and will always have a legal right to any road. Why? Because it's the law. Any interference, intimidation, or reckless driving by motorists is a violation of the law. Considering motorists don't give that right of way, leading to a cyclist being hit or losing control leading to death or injury...these motorists can be prosecuted for vehicular murder, attempted murder, manslaughter, reckless endangerment, and aggravated assault.

Embrace cyclists being on the road as part of your daily driving experience just like stop signs, traffic lights, and traffic. We live in The Villages, why is anyone in such a hurry not to respect the life and legal right of others to use our roadways if they wish? RELAX!
Old 09-18-2021, 06:57 AM

Bikers that want to ride on the road ways should be required to have a license plate (so they can be identified) and insurance to cover their massive injuries and damage to the other vehicle. The bike groups ride aggressively and blame the larger vehicles. Backing up traffic due to slow speed is dangerous.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:59 AM
Default Bikes on road

Quote:
Just curious but I’ve noticed there are always bikers riding on the main road. IE Morse, or Buena Vista, when the Multi paths are literally running parallel. Why do they do this?
Most likely because the bikers trust the cars more than they trust the cart drivers. From experience I will note also that a bike in Florida cannot go on the grass to get around a dicey situation, the grass here stops a bike and you immediately fall off.
Many bike riders also go faster than the carts
Old 09-18-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1couple View Post
just to be a pain in the ass. They whined until they got the path then they complain about the path so they ride on the road just to hold up traffic mainly because they are ********
Because it's their legal right. It's the law. Motorists actions leading to cyclists injury or death are fully prosecutable as felonies, including vehicular homicide.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 1776 View Post
Cyclists have and will always have a legal right to any road. Why? Because it's the law. Any interference, intimidation, or reckless driving by motorists is a violation of the law. Considering motorists don't give that right of way, leading to a cyclist being hit or losing control leading to death or injury...these motorists can be prosecuted for vehicular murder, attempted murder, manslaughter, reckless endangerment, and aggravated assault.

Embrace cyclists being on the road as part of your daily driving experience just like stop signs, traffic lights, and traffic. We live in The Villages, why is anyone in such a hurry not to respect the life and legal right of others to use our roadways if they wish? RELAX!
Cyclists have to stop at stop signs and yield at yield signs. Why?. Because it's the law. Considering cyclists don't yield the right of way, leading to them getting hit by a car, who are they going to "prosecute" then. Besides, prosecuting drivers for an accident is a pipe dream unless they are impaired, speeding, or acted intentionally.

So how about cyclists embrace cars as part of their "daily driving experience", but don't ignore them like they ignore stop signs and yield signs, and not be in a "hurry" and respect the rights of other vehicles instead of maintaining their "pedal cadence".
Old 09-18-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Death wish!
Old 09-18-2021, 07:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 1776 View Post
Because it's their legal right. It's the law. Motorists actions leading to cyclists injury or death are fully prosecutable as felonies, including vehicular homicide.
Dream on. You hit a cyclist that blew through a stop sign and you think the car driver will be charged with a felony? Well, Disney did open Fantasyland again.
Closed Thread

Tags
road, bikes, multi, paths, literally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.