Bird Cage Screen Types

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Default Bird Cage Screen Types

I need some advice / information from those that know:

What types of screens are available for bird cages? in two areas:

1) to keep bugs out (mesh spacing that one should one have on the top and sides to adequately keep the things on the outside from getting inside the enclosure)? , and

2) to get privacy from ones neighbors (screens that may look like frosted glass) that are acceptable to the local architectural review board and is acceptable to ones neighbors?

Let me add a bit more info for clarity: We are looking at different properties for purchase and some could make or not-make the short list depending upon our ability to "acceptably" screen out some views of roads / tee boxes / close proximity neighbors / utilities / etc. We are outdoors people and hope to make the most of that in our home selection (outdoor pool and outdoor kitchen are highly desired by us).

I hope this frames the question well and allows for us (and others) to know the options available.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

TomC, regarding item 2, you might want to consider roll up shades for privacy, this will give you the advantage of being able to change your privacy as needed. Also, the shades can be used to block rain. My neighbor has some real nice electrically operated units, we have manual ones. You will have your choice of color and density for privacy. Send me a PM for more info.

OOPs, we have the standard screening, and no problem with bugs. We do have 50% sun blocking in the roof area to provide some shade and still allow lots of air flow.

Last edited by villagetinker; 10-08-2018 at 06:43 PM. Reason: hit enter to soon!
Old 10-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
2) to get privacy from ones neighbors (screens that may look like frosted glass) that are acceptable to the local architectural review board and is acceptable to ones neighbors?
If you are looking privacy screens probably are not the answer.

We put 80% blocking screens on our lanai to cut down on sun light. During the day it is very hard to see what is inside. But once the sun goes down and there is any light on the lanai or living room the screens just seem to disappear, everything in the lanai and living room is plainly visible.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I need some advice / information from those that know:

What types of screens are available for bird cages? in two areas:

1) to keep bugs out (mesh spacing that one should one have on the top and sides to adequately keep the things on the outside from getting inside the enclosure)? , and

Let me add a bit more info for clarity: We are looking at different properties for purchase and some could make or not-make the short list depending upon our ability to "acceptably" screen out some views of roads / tee boxes / close proximity neighbors / utilities / etc. We are outdoors people and hope to make the most of that in our home selection (outdoor pool and outdoor kitchen are highly desired by us).

I hope this frames the question well and allows for us (and others) to know the options available.

Thanks in advance!
In response to your 2), I believe you are referring to "Florida Glass", which is actually screen sandwiched between two pieces of vinyl. We have it on the lower sections of our birdcage and lanai. It's great for privacy in the pool. There are limitations as to how much can be installed (per code). It does not allow wind to pass through.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:54 PM

I have a birdcage installed 20/20 screen for the sides to keep the bugs out
20/30 for the ceiling panels to keep about 60% of the sun out and bugs too of course
I'm not too worried for privacy (like my neighbors and no homes behind us )
Closed Thread

Tags
neighbors, hope, outdoor, bird, types

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.