Golf Cart Tunnel Construction

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default Golf Cart Tunnel Construction

Quite some time ago, I recall viewing someone's photos on Talk of the Villages of a golf cart tunnel under construction. I was amazed to see that the tunnel is placed on the dirt at grade first then the road is built over the tunnel. I've tried to explain this to my husband but a picture is worth a thousand words.

The fellow who posted the photos of one of the tunnels under construction stated he took a photo every week while the construction was under way. I've looked on this website and also on Google images and can not find those photos.

Does anyone have any photos of one of these tunnels under construction? It is really amazing to see how it is done. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Sage

I am sorry i don't have any pictures to help, but if you think that is interesting you should see how the install a tunnel after the road is built (without disturbing traffic). They "bore" the diameter of the tunnel and shove concrete sleeve sections in as they go. Really neat to see.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Quite some time ago, I recall viewing someone's photos on Talk of the Villages of a golf cart tunnel under construction. I was amazed to see that the tunnel is placed on the dirt at grade first then the road is built over the tunnel. I've tried to explain this to my husband but a picture is worth a thousand words.

The fellow who posted the photos of one of the tunnels under construction stated he took a photo every week while the construction was under way. I've looked on this website and also on Google images and can not find those photos.

Does anyone have any photos of one of these tunnels under construction? It is really amazing to see how it is done. Thanks.
I remember the posts and he was talking about the tunnel under Morris Blvd. just south of 466A. You'll have to go back about 2 years or so to find it. Wish I could help more.
It's easier and cheaper to put in the tunnel first then the road, than to tunnel under it without collapsing the road above. The tunnels are pre-cast concrete sections that fit together. After put in place the road is simply put above it.

nnel then put road over it,than put in road and have tonel under the road without collapsing the road above. The tunnels are only several feet under the road, but if the road was built first it would have to be a lot further under and shored up like a mine to hold up the road above.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Sage

Les - What I saw was a 8' diameter tunnel being installed and there was not much ground above it. They had an 8' diameter arbor bit, they bored into the side of the hill while shoving a 8' diameter x 3' long section behind it. The drive shaft for the 8' diameter arbor was then disconnected, the next 3' long section of tunnel was rolled behind the already inserted piece along with a drive shaft extension, and they start boring again while shoving the now 2 sections in (the sections mated with a tongue and groove joint). They did this several times to get across 4 lanes of traffic, adding sections and lengths to the drive shaft on the boring arbor. Really neat to see.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts
Default Here you go.......

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...outh-466a-355/

ajbrown was the member.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
Les - What I saw was a 8' diameter tunnel being installed and there was not much ground above it. They had an 8' diameter arbor bit, they bored into the side of the hill while shoving a 8' diameter x 3' long section behind it. The drive shaft for the 8' diameter arbor was then disconnected, the next 3' long section of tunnel was rolled behind the already inserted piece along with a drive shaft extension, and they start boring again while shoving the now 2 sections in (the sections mated with a tongue and groove joint). They did this several times to get across 4 lanes of traffic, adding sections and lengths to the drive shaft on the boring arbor. Really neat to see.
Wow, I never saw that. It seems to me though that the precast tunnel sections are more than 3', more like 10' feet. Also the pics I saw showed the tunnel being put in place with out a road over it. Why put in a road and then a tunnel under it when you can lay down a tunnel and cover it up with dirt?
Old 03-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Sage

Les- Sorry I should have mentioned the tunnel I was referring to was not in the Villages. They were installing the tunnel for a bike path that was funded many years after the road had been built. The road bridged a set of train tracks and the bike path tunnel went parallel to the track but through the raised earth under the roads approach to the bridge. I did guess at the lengths of the precast, so they might have been longer, and there were quite a few of them.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
It is one of my favorite pictures taken in The Villages. Not for the art, but I have never see a tunnel just sitting on the ground waiting for a road to pass over. My lab assistant and I had a lot of fun driving a cart 'off road' back then.

Here is the 'old' thread with some other pictures...
Creating a tunnel in TV
Old 03-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Thank you very much. Exactly the photos I was looking for.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
It is one of my favorite pictures taken in The Villages. Not for the art, but I have never see a tunnel just sitting on the ground waiting for a road to pass over. My lab assistant and I had a lot of fun driving a cart 'off road' back then.

Here is the 'old' thread with some other pictures...
Creating a tunnel in TV
I was impressed and enjoyed the tunnel pics you took.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.