Birdcage ground drainage

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2021, 09:41 AM
Default Birdcage ground drainage

Has anyone solved problem of new birdcage flooding and drainage. Is there gadgets to install or buy to stop puddling?
Old 09-01-2021, 11:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

I have had a few calls for this (I do handyman work), I either drill holes in the bottom aluminum track to let the water escape or drill the concrete to drain directly into into the sand below. Usually a few 1/2 holes, well placed, does wonders. If you have a good hammer drill and carbide bits you can do this yourself.

Now the correct way would be to drill a hole for a basement style drain 3 or 4" then pipe the water out to a french drain but no one wants to pay what that costs.

Basically those are your options, IMO.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiajaitken View Post
Has anyone solved problem of new birdcage flooding and drainage. Is there gadgets to install or buy to stop puddling?
We are not seeing the problem. Water flows to the lowest point. Assuming a flat cement floor, it is actually supposed to have a slight angle to it so that water flows to the outside edge. If, you have slight puddles, the solution is truly simple a sponge mop. If you have measurable water collecting on the outside edge, the solution is a small drain hole through the aluminum part that rests on the cement. You will find instructions on the internet
Old 09-01-2021, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Here is a widely used product. We had two of them installed five years ago to help with drainage issues on the lanai after heavy rains. About a year ago I installed two more myself in another area of the lanai. They're also helpful when pressure washing/hosing off the lanai. They get the job done.

Screen Room Drains - "One & Only Patented Drain"
Old 09-01-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Here is a widely used product. We had two of them installed five years ago to help with drainage issues on the lanai after heavy rains. About a year ago I installed two more myself in another area of the lanai. They're also helpful when pressure washing/hosing off the lanai. They get the job done.

Screen Room Drains - "One & Only Patented Drain"
That looks like a good solution as long as it's the lower part of the screen that's keeping the water from draining. We've never had this issue as our previous lanais all had sufficient slope to move out the water past the unsealed aluminum screens. I bookmarked the page just in case our new house in TV has the issue, thanks for sharing!
Old 09-01-2021, 06:03 PM
John41

Quote:
I assume you mean water is puddling against the bottom aluminum rail. I drilled a hole at the low point and put a screen plug in to keep geckos out.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:35 AM
Default Free - well maybe a nickel or two

Quote:
A free and quick solution is to loosen the bolts holding the aluminum channel to the concrete. Just where it's puddling the deepest. Put something that won't rot or rust beneath the channel to hold it up off of the concrete a bit. (I used a nickel) Re-tighten the bolts. No bugs or critters come in but the water goes out.

Lanai drain

Either wait for it to rain to find that deepest point, or pour a bucket of water, or run a garden hose there.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
who installed it? Just asking so I don't use them
Old 09-02-2021, 06:31 AM
Veteran member

I had the same problem and had the local guy come and install a small 6/8inch drain sleeve in the cage base ,60+bucks not a value . The sleeve did drain the water but very slowly ,I took the same idea extended the area he had cut to 30 inches and added a long metal gate which I raise to drain when I hose down the cage,works perfectly.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:35 AM
Default Drainage in lanai

I had that same problem. Not sure of the name of the guy that did it, but I hired a guy who came in and drilled holes and put a device it that opens and closes where it pools and it Worked beautifully. I haven’t had drainage problems since unless the holes clog with debris
Old 09-02-2021, 06:55 AM

Ours drains at the lowest point in the corner. I thought I had a problem, but it occasionally gets clogged and I have to blast the corner with a hose.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
A free and quick solution is to loosen the bolts holding the aluminum channel to the concrete. Just where it's puddling the deepest. Put something that won't rot or rust beneath the channel to hold it up off of the concrete a bit. (I used a nickel) Re-tighten the bolts. No bugs or critters come in but the water goes out.

Lanai drain

Either wait for it to rain to find that deepest point, or pour a bucket of water, or run a garden hose there.
May I add to your good solution that dust or sand may block these, and if so it helps to open the channel with water spray from your hose or running strips of cardboard from a cereal box back and forth under the slot beneath the frame.

My house has a drain channel about 2”x2” made of metal with little slots in the top between the house and the patio. It drains to daylight on both sides of the house and is supposed to keep water out of the house. That should be kept open. Pushing a hose through while water is squirting out is one way to flush it clean in a few minutes.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
That looks like a good solution as long as it's the lower part of the screen that's keeping the water from draining. We've never had this issue as our previous lanais all had sufficient slope to move out the water past the unsealed aluminum screens. I bookmarked the page just in case our new house in TV has the issue, thanks for sharing!
If you pay to have them installed, the installer uses a level to determine low spots so they can be put in the right place.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:23 AM

If your birdcage/slab is new you should contact whoever put it on for you and tell them. If the house is new then contact your warranty dept. When we bought new and had a house inspection done our inspector (DeAngeles) said the puddles meant the concrete wasn't done right and put it in his report. Sure enough, T&D was sent out to fix it by adding another layer of concrete.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
I had the same problem and had the local guy come and install a small 6/8inch drain sleeve in the cage base ,60+bucks not a value . The sleeve did drain the water but very slowly ,I took the same idea extended the area he had cut to 30 inches and added a long metal gate which I raise to drain when I hose down the cage,works perfectly.
Would like to see pictures of what you did.
Thank you
Closed Thread

Tags
birdcage, drainage, stop, buy, install

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.