Birdcage maintenance

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2017, 09:38 PM
Default Birdcage maintenance

We are considering building a birdcage but are concerned about the effort needed to keep the floor area clean.

How often do you need to clean the floor and do you need to power wash it?

Are there any other maintenance issues you have to deal with?

Any information is appreciated!
Old 11-17-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rde3036 View Post
We are considering building a birdcage but are concerned about the effort needed to keep the floor area clean.

How often do you need to clean the floor and do you need to power wash it?

Are there any other maintenance issues you have to deal with?

Any information is appreciated!
We built a bird cage last year. The floor was finished concrete with nothing applied. I repeatedly had to power wash it, then this summer I applied Thompson's Water Seal. The jury is still out but it appears that the problem has been taken care of or at least not needed as often. Others can chime in with what they did with the same problem.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:35 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I had my floor painted with a texture type surface. Wash it with a hose once in a while. Very low mtc.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:50 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Birdcage floors get dirtier because dirt collects on the top screen and falls in. You need to have the floor painted with a special paint that makes it easy to hose down. We have had ours done three times. Recently Steve Kling painter used a new product that is a huge improvement. He said we were one of the first to have it. I would call Steve Kling and ask what finish he put on the Bloom house in the birdcage.
Also, screens do need replacing from time to time. From windstorms, or getting old or from the sun.
All being said, love having the birdcage as we can be out without bugs bothering us. Lots of people these days are also putting roofs on so they can be out anytime. The roofs are nice. We just happen to like the open sky look, but at least there are options and the roof makes it more year round unless the rains are really falling and then it comes in from the sides.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

You need to keep the drainage holes clear. We power wash twice a year.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Something else to consider ..... I live on a Championship GC and most of the homes have huge lanai's and in my area they ALL face due West and get the afternoon and evening sun. In the summer, the temperature on my back patio gets into the 110 degrees and higher! I have never seen anyone use these lanai's, however I have a friend who has a different exposure and she almost lives in hers and has even slept out there.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 11-18-2017, 08:27 AM

We love our birdcage. In between power washing we rinse with a hose. Before a rainstorm, I've been known to sprinkle diluted Dawn and let the rain wash it for me. The summer heat is a challenge. We face west but use solar shades and they help tremendously.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

I have a birdcage and a patio. Watch rocket launches on the patio; that's about it. A birdcage gives you an outdoor living space that is protected without being confining,

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Blow it off with a leaf blower about once a month, hose it off every 3 months and power wash once a year.

Also screen repair/replace as needed. Maybe something minor once a year. Even the winds from Irma didn't do any damage to my screens.

Tags
clean, birdcage, maintenance, floor, wash

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.