Birds of a Feather

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
I don't like anybody.

[emoji259][emoji259][emoji259][emoji259][emoji259][emoji259][emoji259][emoji259][emoji259]

[emoji257][emoji257][emoji257][emoji257][emoji257][emoji257][emoji257][emoji257][emoji257][emoji257]

[emoji258][emoji258][emoji258][emoji258][emoji258][emoji258][emoji258][emoji258][emoji258][emoji258]

[emoji274][emoji274][emoji274][emoji274][emoji274][emoji274][emoji274][emoji274][emoji274][emoji274]

Oh Cisco! I know that's not true.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Oh Cisco! I know that's not true.
He likes our dog. He said so.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
He likes our dog. He said so.

I knew he was fibbing.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:25 PM

Hi all, I'll tell you why I can't wait to move to the Villages...Its because of all of you! I am 57 yrs young and I feel like I fit in perfectly! I am a hospice nurse and have worked with the elderly population for all if my career and LEARN SOMETHING EVERY DAY! Just like I do reading all of your posts. You guys are so smart,silly,witty,grumpy, just wonderful! We have visited 4 times and plan on selling down here in so Fla in 2 yrs and start "living the dream". We love the Villages! Thank you for all your helpful advice.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Everyone at the Crispers meeting yesterday told me what a funny guy you are Cisco and so very, VERY likable. So you may not LIKE anybody right now, but people sure like YOU.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:16 PM
Gold member

When we get together with our neighbors several times a month for organized socials, I don't even think about how old or young people are!

Age doesn't matter to us. What matters is if they are friendly or aloof, happy or grouchy, have a sense of humor or are humorless, are gossipy or accepting of everyone, or if they are condescending or humble. Those traits come out in all age groups.

I'm surprised at prejudice toward people here in their 40s and 50s! Our neighbors in their 70s and 80s are young at heart with a zesty attitude. They don't resent neighbors in their 40s or 50s!!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:29 PM
Platinum member

Would love to meet you sometime, sunnyatlast!
Old 03-21-2015, 09:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
There have been a number of threads during the past year discussing the growing number of younger people living in TV. I realize people are retiring earlier and earlier which might explain some of the influx. Being of sound mind (??) and body, I am not interested at 62 in living in an assisted living facility. Why would people in their 40s and 50s want to live in a community aimed toward retired folks. When we get together with friends, the topic of the Beatles, Bewitched, MASH, Ed Sullivan and American Bandstand come up. We also commizerate about Vietnam Nam and the Oklahoma City bombing. Birds of a feather flock together. I know I do not write as eloquently as many, but try to appreciate what I am trying to say.
I started this thread, and I allowed myself to get distracted and sidetracked. The point of my post was to find out why people in their 40s and 50s want to live in a community that is a retirement community. Why do they want to live here?
Old 03-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I started this thread, and I allowed myself to get distracted and sidetracked. The point of my post was to find out why people in their 40s and 50s want to live in a community that is a retirement community. Why do they want to live here?
Because it is beautiful, orderly, affordable, full of recreation and fitness and entertainment offerings, and most of the people are fun regardless of their age.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
There is a saying, "Put yourself in someone else's shoes." My partner is retiring in June at 55 and moving to TV for half of the year. The other half of the year my partner will live with me in WI. I am 9 years younger. Does that mean I can't or shouldn't be able to spend time with the person I have built my life around? While I do still work, I plan on visiting TV as much as I can to be with the love of my life. Should I be made to feel ashamed of my age for that? Please try to open your mind and your hearts to people who may not fit your exact ideal picture of a Villager! (Including me!)
Heck no, come on down. There are some miserable, entitled people here but most of us would say "welcome to the Villages!"
Old 03-22-2015, 05:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
When we get together with our neighbors several times a month for organized socials, I don't even think about how old or young people are!

Age doesn't matter to us. What matters is if they are friendly or aloof, happy or grouchy, have a sense of humor or are humorless, are gossipy or accepting of everyone, or if they are condescending or humble. Those traits come out in all age groups.

I'm surprised at prejudice toward people here in their 40s and 50s! Our neighbors in their 70s and 80s are young at heart with a zesty attitude. They don't resent neighbors in their 40s or 50s!!

I ONLY feel resentment toward very young villagers if they feel prejudiced against me for my age. I have so many other qualities that I have always had that would understandably cause someone to not like me, and I really try to work on them, but choosing to not want to even know me because I am older, really hurts my feelers.

They may find they can tolerate me because of my amazing husband and daughter.

I am pretty sure Sunny at Last likes me. In fact thinking about it, I have as many much younger friends as I have much older friends. We don't even think about age. Just so glad to live here with all of you.

It is a beautiful day in The Villages.

Don't MESS with old people.

But the next time someone starts whining that they want to be with only younger people, I am going to start a group with older people and we aren't going to let them in. They'll be sorry.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Platinum member

I like you, gracie!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

As a newbie, soon to retire, and permanent in TV later this year, I found this thread a bit strange. What a wonderful community we are lucky to live in with recreational activities for all adult ages, most are within a golf cart ride. I am 56, and outside of 25 extra unwanted pounds and a little less endurance, I don't feel much different than I did at 25. Most of us probably feel that way as well, regardless of age. I have friends in their 30's and friends in their 70's. My regular golf foursome in NY are 67,75, and 78---the 75 yo tends to beat me. There is no "generation gap", no lack of conversation, and no "age prejudice". Didn't we all come from age diverse communities and are old enough to have learned to relate to all ages?
The oldest person I met at TV so far is 94, and he was hitting balls at the Palmer range. He could hardly stand steady, and when he took a swing he fell down, fairly hard. He did not want medical help, I got him to his feet, and his only request was for me to put another ball on a tee for him. So, IMHO, it is attitude and not age that counts.
As for me---why retire to a senior community? Because there is much more than golf available in TV, unlike many other Florida retirement areas. As we age, perhaps become less physically able to participate in sports, there still will be plenty to do. And in general, those who stay active stay healthier, stay happier, and live a longer quality life. Just look around you and you see it in TV every day
Old 03-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I am not a hater of young people. I'm not sure what I said that made people respond that way. I was simply curious what brings people to TV, particularly young people. The answers given to my question explains it all -- it is beautiful, lots to do, great weather and more golf than anywhere else.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I am not a hater of young people. I'm not sure what I said that made people respond that way. I was simply curious what brings people to TV, particularly young people. The answers given to my question explains it all -- it is beautiful, lots to do, great weather and more golf than anywhere else.
Maybe it's because they realize that they, too, will someday be in our shoes (old..er) and want to stay 'young' as long as possible. I hope that is it.

I know my kids (40's-50's) do. They love to come here and my youngest would LOVE to be able to move here.....just can't afford it, yet. Gotta work a few more years. The older one....well, he still doesn't. He always says, "Hey, let's go down to Mom's. We can party-down till 9:00!"
He just hasn't figured it out, yet...."He ain't gettin' any younger!" He will.

Just ask any of them, though.....I do a pretty good job of keeping up with them and can outlast them on lots.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.