Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Birds of a Feather (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/birds-feather-148227/)

Brendanyc 03-22-2015 01:37 PM

For my husband and I, 52 and 51 respectively, the answer to why we chose the villages is because we actually had the good fortune to be able to retire at such a young age. :) We have been visiting TV for the last 4 years deciding whether this is the place that we would land after retiring. Every time we came.. everything exceeded our expectations. We have been embraced by our dear neighbors in the village of Bonita, regardless of age, interest, similarities or differences. We couldn't think of a place where we would rather live. TV has it all for everyone regardless of age... activities, squares, music, and most importantly some of the kindest people we have ever met. All of you that have been living here since your retirement.. regardless of age should be very proud of the communities that you have built. :)

lamplighter 03-22-2015 01:38 PM

Age is a number period.

Twenty years older or younger...I don't care and hope we become lasting friends!

perrjojo 03-22-2015 05:30 PM

sometimes younger people don't realize this, ( I know I Didn't). We all age at the same rate of speed. Next year I will be one year older and so will you. One day a young person will be the old person and wonder why the young people don't see them as equals. It is true that age is just a number. I love my older friends and my younger friends equally. I think older and younger friends find me fun and interesting too. Young people , please realize that you too will be the old guy some day.

perrjojo 03-22-2015 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyatlast (Post 1032533)
Because it is beautiful, orderly, affordable, full of recreation and fitness and entertainment offerings, and most of the people are fun regardless of their age.

Amen! My 32 year old Grandsonwants to lived here.

manaboutown 03-22-2015 07:11 PM

At the age of 73 I have friends from the ages of 12 to 90. If we have something in common or enjoy one another's company age is not an issue.

2BNTV 03-23-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villager Joyce (Post 1032525)
I started this thread, and I allowed myself to get distracted and sidetracked. The point of my post was to find out why people in their 40s and 50s want to live in a community that is a retirement community. Why do they want to live here?

Because it is a fun town with a myriad of things to do. Dancing and music in three squares everyday of the year. They haven't decided if this is a golf town with a drinking problem or a drinking town with a golf problem. :D

It is also very beautiful and well maintained. You don't see any litter on sidewalks or anywhere. Flowers are constantly being planted and everyone takes pride in their home.

People come from different backgrounds and people don't care about status or what people have done in their working lives. They come to have fun as almost all people are, very active and lively.

As much younger good friends, (mid fifties), of mine, say, "what's there, not to love".

When there is an age difference of more than 10 years, some people may have grown up in a different generation, so their views may be different or may feel their energy level is higher but I have not seen people not getting along because of their age. Some older folks can run circles around some of the younger folks. Like anything else, "it's a matter of having varied interests, that can be shared".

Age is just a number.

spring_chicken 03-23-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villager Joyce (Post 1032525)
I started this thread, and I allowed myself to get distracted and sidetracked. The point of my post was to find out why people in their 40s and 50s want to live in a community that is a retirement community. Why do they want to live here?

Because I worked hard enough to be able to retire in my 50's and I enjoy being able to play softball, golf, pickleball, track and field, volleyball... I'm taking advantage while my knees and hips will allow me to.
All of my friends that are in these sports tell me all the time how jealous they are that they weren't able to move here at a younger age.

Villager Joyce 03-23-2015 12:19 PM

Thank you 2BNTV and spring chicken. I understand and get it. I forgot how active and young all of us Villagers are regardless of our ages.

pmbinnj 03-23-2015 12:32 PM

We are in our 50's and moved to TV a few months ago. We did not come here to retire -- we came here to play! Some day we may need to think about "retiring" but for now we are lucky enough to be finished working. We view it as a 3 step process: previously working...now playing....then at some point retiring. A few Villagers have kindly said we look to young to be retired but we're most happy that no one has said we're too old to play :)