BJ's coming to villages?

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2019, 07:49 PM
Veteran member

Price is one thing. I found the quality of BJ's stuff (produce, meats and packaged foods) to be lower than that of Costco or Sams.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:07 PM

I hope not we don't need one here>>
Old 06-15-2019, 08:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne and Mike View Post
We are new here. Why wouldn't the Developer want a Sams, Costco or BJs here?
Developer doesn't care as long as the rent is paid. These places don't open stores in the middle of the country. Not enough people here is the reason.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

I heard a rumor White Castle is coming
Old 06-16-2019, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
I heard a rumor White Castle is coming
Woo Hoo!

Where where?
Old 06-16-2019, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Developer doesn't care as long as the rent is paid. These places don't open stores in the middle of the country. Not enough people here is the reason.
"Not enough people" isn't the reason. There are (more or less) 130,000 people just living in the Villages. There are tens of thousands more living in the towns surrounding the Villages.

To compare, there are TWO BJ's close to where I live in the north. One in my town, one the next town, approximately 8 miles from it, on the same main commercial road.

My town has around 30,000 people living in it. The other town has perhaps 50,000 by now. Between the two towns served by two different BJs, there aren't even as many people living in them, as the entire population of the Villages.

I'd say it's probably more the demographics. There aren't enough *families* that would benefit from buying in bulk. You can't buy just one or two tomatoes at BJ's, you have to buy a box of 6 or more. Great if you're making sauce, not so great if you just need a week's worth of sandwiches and salads for yourself and a spouse. You can't buy a small box of oatmeal that will likely last you two months. You have to buy the enormous box that will attract bugs before you get halfway through it, if you're the only one who eats it. You can't even buy a normal sized bottle of Listerine. You have to buy the 1/2-gallon 2-pack. In a community where storage is at a premium, where would you even PUT all these extra things that you won't use for at least a year, that will expire in 6 months?

Also the big warehouse stores are physically unattractive. Imagine your brand new home in one of the newer areas, that currently looks out over a marsh with the commercial district just beyond that. And now, because BJ's also does oil changes and tire replacement service, part of that marsh is fenced with chain link, and a big HUGE gated dumpster corral is now the sight you see beyond the marsh. And just past that is this looming, stark, sharp-edged cement block that stretches up into the horizon like a hideous lego that a giant kid randomly plunked onto the landscape.

Not to mention all those tractor trailers that rumble in and out of that back lot every single day, starting at 7 in the morning.

Don't get me wrong, I like BJs. I'm a member here. But I can't imagine a box warehouse store being even a temptation for the developer. And since he has his hands in the pockets of every municipality surrounding the community, I don't imagine those municipalities would entertain the possibility either.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:44 AM
Sage

A "warehouse" store within The Villages is unlikely. We do have a Sam's Club just outside The Villages on 441. Costco is about an hour away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne and Mike View Post
We are new here. Why wouldn't the Developer want a Sams, Costco or BJs here?
Old 06-16-2019, 07:46 AM
Sage

Do you realize that there is a Sam's Club on 441?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
And since he has his hands in the pockets of every municipality surrounding the community, I don't imagine those municipalities would entertain the possibility either.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Some views of what the developer does or not is very entertaining.....
Old 06-16-2019, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Do you realize that there is a Sam's Club on 441?
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2019, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Yup sure do. It's on the other side of 441, not part of or at the perimeter of the Villages. Not sure why you'd even ask me that, it doesn't conflict with what I said. I can't imagine (opinion - notice the phrase "I can't imagine" which is not the same as fact, eg: "I know" or "This is so" or similar verbiage) that the developer would want a warehouse store at the Villages and since the towns the Villages are in, are governed by town governments, which Morse & Co has a heavy influence in, I don't imagine (there's that pesky opinion phrase again) those towns would contradict or challenge that desire.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
That would be nice, it is the only club I shop at so it would work out great.
Don’t hold your breath
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

Tags
bjs, coming, yesterday, rumor, hear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.