Black Box Theater at Terra Del Sol

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2016, 07:47 AM
Gold member
Default Black Box Theater at Terra Del Sol

Last nite was the first performance we attended at the new Black Box Theater at Terra Del Sol. It's a very intimate theater experience with only 99 seats and you are almost interacting with the performers on stage, it's that close.

Their first production was the Tony Award winning Next to Normal and it was fabulous and should not be missed if you are a lover of live stage productions. Congrats to Ms Morse for spearheading this innovating concept and performing so flawless last night with passion and power!

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 11-17-2016, 08:35 AM
Platinum member

I wholeheartedly agree! This is an extraordinary addition to the arts for our community. If you enjoy live performance, musical theater, drama, and superb acting then you can't miss this show. "Next to Normal" is a bumpy ride. I laughed, cried, and felt the pain of these characters, and I admit relating some of it to episodes in my own life. It's not for the faint of heart, but it's gut wrenching and real. It does not sugar coat the pain of mental illness, depression, and the incredible pressures that occur within families as we struggle to just be human.

Whitney Morse is the real deal. Her singing and acting are as good as I've seen anywhere. I've watched performances on the stages of New York City as well as some of the best regional theaters in the country, and what I saw last night gives up nothing to those others. The entire cast enthralled me with the way they became those troubled characters, and with the musical and theatrical talent they displayed. I would also be remiss if I did not also congratulate Brian Zealand, Tyler Beauregard, Emily Chelsea, Brett Ricci, and Josh Kimball for their spot on and moving performances. Their voices and emotions were certainly on display. And, by the way, I'm just a Villages resident with a passion for great performance. I don't know any of these people, and this morning I still don't, but I feel like I have a deep knowledge of the characters they played last night.

Next is a "shout out" to the band, orchestra, ensemble, group or whatever I should call them. They were five musicians including a piano, drums, guitar, bass guitar, and violin, strategically placed right in the action, that produced an incredible accompaniment to the singers and actors. There were in the middle of it all, but in such a way that you really didn't notice them, but couldn't help but here them. Well done!

The Studio Theater at Tierra Del Sol is a small, dare I say intimate, venue that really places the theater goer in the center of the action. You feel like you are sitting in the room with the characters, because you are.

If musical theater and drama are your cup of tea, or if you just enjoy performing arts, or if you just want to be entertained by a performance that is different from anything else in our community then you should grab a ticket for this, and subsequent performances of this fine Company. I already have my ticket for each performance for the remainder of the season, and with only 99 seats per performance, they will become a hot commodity!

Last edited by Cedwards38; 11-17-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:54 PM
Gold member

Thank for such a great review. You both have sparked my interest. Will be looking into getting tickets.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

I love live theater having attended plays in Santa Rosa, CA; Minneapolis, and San Francisco. I will have to check this group out some time. My only real serious love I have had in my life is the daughter of a theater actress/weapons development person. She used to tell me quite a bit about the journeys she had with her mother the theater actress and her father the arms development guy. She went onto other stuff after living with me while she finished up her final year of law school at the University of Minnesota.

I hope she is following my stuff on TOTV and Facebook. I do think about her quite often. She had been one of my students with Legal Assistance to Minnesota Prisoners and I did not start dating her until she was my roommate. Kind of backwards but it worked for us and it did not seem inappropriate to me as I had graduated from law school by them in May of 1989.

Her mother might even still be acting in local theaters. Not sure.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We went tonight and it was amazing. I must say though that the subject matter was not for the faint of heart.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:47 AM

We went last night and loved everything about the new theatre, show, actors and staff. We all agreed that we felt like we were part of the story.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:28 PM
Platinum member

We went last night and loved Next To Normal. The acting and voices were superb!! The story was riveting!! The black box theater concept puts you on the stage with the performers. This production and future shows are a do not miss!!
Old 12-10-2016, 03:10 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Mary & I went Thursday, everything was excellent from the sound to the staging. The actors were wonderful, and our names were on the seats a perk for having season tickets. BRAVO
Old 12-10-2016, 04:50 PM
Platinum member

Where does one purchase tickets?
Old 12-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Where does one purchase tickets?
BUY TICKETS - The Villages Entertainment - The Villages Entertainment

Tags
theater, black, terra, box, stage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.