Black Snakes

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2021, 08:51 AM
Default Black Snakes

I have only recently moved here about 2 months ago. Love it but yesterday saw a small Black snake scoot into my garage. Upon reading up on them they are not harmful and in fact good as they eat small rodents and insects. but my concern is I don't what them to get in my house any suggestions.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:00 AM

Black racers. Good to have around your yard. I've seen a good number of them. Never heard of them coming inside.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I simply keep the garage screens closed when I do have the garage door itself up. I know some homes don't have garage screens but recommend them.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:15 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

If there is nothing to eat in your garage it will leave. We had two large ones recently that ate all of the anoles and then I never saw them again however more anoles came back.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
If there is nothing to eat in your garage it will leave. We had two large ones recently that ate all of the anoles and then I never saw them again however more anoles came back.
Far from an expert. I have never seen two. Perhaps, a mating pair? Snakes, and lizards (anoles) are cold blooded. They are tied to temperature for everything. Mating, eating even potential speed.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:33 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

I've removed a few from my garage that got stuck in the bug traps. Removed one from the kitchen and one from a bush we were removing(it was into a birds nest). I took it out and released it. I bought a snake stick for that purpose. They are useful.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:24 AM

Get some "Snake B Gone" from Ortho. Sold at ACE Hardware. Sprinkle around foundation of the house. Have used it for a couple of years now. And, yes, there are many Southeastern Black Racers in my neighborhood, just not next to my home.

Last edited by davefin; 05-27-2021 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-27-2021, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,503 Times in 3,104 Posts

I'm glad we have black snakes in our area. It means we're less likely to find cockroaches in the house. We have roach baits anyway near the dishwasher and under the sinks but the fewer I have to see, the better. Those little buggers don't care how clean your house is. If they can get in, they'll get in. Snakes are welcome ANYWHERE on my property. But I'll get them back out where they need to be, if they sneak into the house or shed/golf cart garage.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:44 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Far from an expert. I have never seen two. Perhaps, a mating pair? Snakes, and lizards (anoles) are cold blooded. They are tied to temperature for everything. Mating, eating even potential speed.
There were two, one was longer than the other and both of them had mocking birds chase them from the pond up to our lanai shrubs where they hid and the birds then left, 2 snakes, 2 mocking birds both at the same time. I then saw them off and on for about 2 weeks, this was in late April and now they are gone. I never claimed to be an expert just sharing my experience.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

lanai-jpeg
thumbnail-jpeg

I had both of these, the orange 1 on back lanai about 2 yrs ago
and black one last year in front wrapped around a planter near living room window
Old 05-27-2021, 11:44 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,087 Times in 297 Posts

I was sitting in my lanai yesterday, when all of a sudden there was commotion in the hedges. I got up to see what was going on, and the family of thrushes that live in there came flying out. A few seconds later, a little 2' black snake slithered out, saw me, and instead of running the other way, he zoomed right past my dog towards me and then dove for cover in the Mexican Petunias next to the lanai door where I'd been standing a moment before. If I hadn't somehow levitated back inside the door, he'd have probably run over my foot.

It was weird. I've never seen birds be so afraid of such a little snake, or such little snake charge a human like that. He must just get a kick out of terrorizing his neighbors. I caught a good enough glimpse to be sure he wasn't poisonous, so I figure he must be a black racer, which we don't have in Texas. I hope he eats the giant cockroaches and leave the lizards alone. Some of them are practically pets. And I can't wait to see him pull that charging stunt on my wife. I'll be peeling her off the ceiling!

Snakes have a lot more personality than you'd think.

We used to have a big Texas rat snake that would hang out around our chicken coop back home, and swipe an egg every now and then. He got so tame I could nearly get close enough to pick him up. One evening I was locking up the coop and my favorite chicken was sitting on her roost making this weird low noise and squirming around like she didn't know what to do. That rat snake had his head under her wing, and was checking her out, like he was groping around looking for something. I grabbed his tail and he whipped around and reared back like he was going to bite, so I let him go and he just slithered off real slow, just to show me he wasn't the least bit scared. I'm not sure what the heck he was doing to my chicken, but I have a feeling it's illegal in most states!
Old 05-27-2021, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadywood View Post
I was sitting in my lanai yesterday, when all of a sudden there was commotion in the hedges. I got up to see what was going on, and the family of thrushes that live in there came flying out. A few seconds later, a little 2' black snake slithered out, saw me, and instead of running the other way, he zoomed right past my dog towards me and then dove for cover in the Mexican Petunias next to the lanai door where I'd been standing a moment before. If I hadn't somehow levitated back inside the door, he'd have probably run over my foot.

It was weird. I've never seen birds be so afraid of such a little snake, or such little snake charge a human like that. He must just get a kick out of terrorizing his neighbors. I caught a good enough glimpse to be sure he wasn't poisonous, so I figure he must be a black racer, which we don't have in Texas. I hope he eats the giant cockroaches and leave the lizards alone. Some of them are practically pets. And I can't wait to see him pull that charging stunt on my wife. I'll be peeling her off the ceiling!

Snakes have a lot more personality than you'd think.

We used to have a big Texas rat snake that would hang out around our chicken coop back home, and swipe an egg every now and then. He got so tame I could nearly get close enough to pick him up. One evening I was locking up the coop and my favorite chicken was sitting on her roost making this weird low noise and squirming around like she didn't know what to do. That rat snake had his head under her wing, and was checking her out, like he was groping around looking for something. I grabbed his tail and he whipped around and reared back like he was going to bite, so I let him go and he just slithered off real slow, just to show me he wasn't the least bit scared. I'm not sure what the heck he was doing to my chicken, but I have a feeling it's illegal in most states!
Hmmmmm. Are you the same guy who said snakes could come up through your toilet??? That altered MY LIFE for a long spell. Danged boys.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Hmmmmm. Are you the same guy who said snakes could come up through your toilet??? That altered MY LIFE for a long spell. Danged boys.
Gracie, that's just the bigger snakes... the baby ones come up thru the sink and shower drains
Old 05-27-2021, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,503 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
Attachment 89634
Attachment 89635

I had both of these, the orange 1 on back lanai about 2 yrs ago
and black one last year in front wrapped around a planter near living room window
The top one looks like a copperhead. They're venomous, but not aggressive and their venom is not deadly to humans (unless you're allergic, obviously). But because they -are- venomous, if you see it again, get in touch with the local wildlife folks and have them try and capture it. Do NOT try to capture it yourself.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:44 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The top one looks like a copperhead. They're venomous, but not aggressive and their venom is not deadly to humans (unless you're allergic, obviously). But because they -are- venomous, if you see it again, get in touch with the local wildlife folks and have them try and capture it. Do NOT try to capture it yourself.

Red meets yellow...dangerous fellow...............red meets black....friend of Jack
Closed Thread

Tags
black, small, harmful, house, fact

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.