Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2021, 06:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
Attachment 89634
Attachment 89635

I had both of these, the orange 1 on back lanai about 2 yrs ago
and black one last year in front wrapped around a planter near living room window
When I see posts like this I say, what did I get myself into moving into TV. If snakes show up in my garage or house or front door, I’m moving and I will wish everyone in TV a long healthy life. I will go a little further north where it’s cooler and fewer snakes.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefin View Post
Get some "Snake B Gone" from Ortho. Sold at ACE Hardware. Sprinkle around foundation of the house. Have used it for a couple of years now. And, yes, there are many Southeastern Black Racers in my neighborhood, just not next to my home.
Is that the same stuff as Snake A Way, i.e. ground moth balls? I’ve heard Snake A Way works well.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
Red meets yellow...dangerous fellow...............red meets black....friend of Jack
It could also be just a mundane corn snake. You'll find some of those around in Florida too. They're not venomous or aggressive, and are often mistaken for copperheads.

It's still a good idea to not try and capture one, or catch/release, and instead get a wildlife professional to handle it.

If you kill it and it's a corn snake, you'll be killing a harmless animal that's actually good for humans, since it keeps the rodent population down. If you don't kill it and it bites you and it's a copperhead, you could be in a lot of pain for a couple of weeks.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

Snakes are sort of like dogs, some are aggressive and some are not. Up north, my school had several pet snakes. The young students were introduced to them so they would have no fear of the harmless kinds of snakes. And to be wary of the other kinds.

However, I do not like snakes of any kind in my home. One of the first things I bought was long thongs to gently pick up any potential snake to take outside.

Last edited by Velvet; 05-27-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
Red meets yellow...dangerous fellow...............red meets black....friend of Jack
I believe that's a warning for a coral snake, not a copperhead.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Gracie, that's just the bigger snakes... the baby ones come up thru the sink and shower drains
Stop, just stop!
Old 05-28-2021, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

Yuch!! roaches!! We’ve never had them in TV ..... have never even seen one for that matter. Deans does a great job of keeping the bugs away from our house.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:01 AM
Default Snake in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzgb1 View Post
I have only recently moved here about 2 months ago. Love it but yesterday saw a small Black snake scoot into my garage. Upon reading up on them they are not harmful and in fact good as they eat small rodents and insects. but my concern is I don't what them to get in my house any suggestions.
I use Ortho Snake Be Gone in our yard but after finding a black snack in our garage about 3 years ago I now pour a strip in front of the door in the garage that leads into the house. Every few months I sweep up the old and replace it with new. Gives me piece of mind!
Old 05-28-2021, 06:04 AM
Platinum member
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Is that the same stuff as Snake A Way, i.e. ground moth balls? I’ve heard Snake A Way works well.
The same stuff.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:12 AM
Default Ice

Quote:
Attachment 89634
Attachment 89635

I had both of these, the orange 1 on back lanai about 2 yrs ago
and black one last year in front wrapped around a planter near living room window
That’s a nice looking Red Rat Snake. Also cool curious Black Racer.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:18 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1 View Post
I believe that's a warning for a coral snake, not a copperhead.

Correct
Old 05-28-2021, 06:20 AM
Default Snake ID Site

Quote:
I have only recently moved here about 2 months ago. Love it but yesterday saw a small Black snake scoot into my garage. Upon reading up on them they are not harmful and in fact good as they eat small rodents and insects. but my concern is I don't what them to get in my house any suggestions.
For anybody who wants help with identifying and being educated on snakes in Florida, highly recommend joining a FB group called ‘What kind of snake is this? Florida’. Includes top snake experts in the state who rapidly identify snakes. Good way to learn about the six venomous snakes in the state as well as the many many nonvenomous snakes. If you see a snake, take a pic, post it, and within a minute or so you’ll get an expert or ten to respond.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It could also be just a mundane corn snake. You'll find some of those around in Florida too. They're not venomous or aggressive, and are often mistaken for copperheads.

It's still a good idea to not try and capture one, or catch/release, and instead get a wildlife professional to handle it.

If you kill it and it's a corn snake, you'll be killing a harmless animal that's actually good for humans, since it keeps the rodent population down. If you don't kill it and it bites you and it's a copperhead, you could be in a lot of pain for a couple of weeks.
Agree that’s a Corn Snake, also known as a Red Rat Snake. Harmless and good to have around.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:30 AM
Default Black Snake

You can buy snake repellent at Home Depot or Lowe’s. Just sprinkle around at entryway to garage . It does help.
Quote:
Old 05-28-2021, 06:35 AM
Default Copperhead Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The top one looks like a copperhead. They're venomous, but not aggressive and their venom is not deadly to humans (unless you're allergic, obviously). But because they -are- venomous, if you see it again, get in touch with the local wildlife folks and have them try and capture it. Do NOT try to capture it yourself.
The Copperhead is often mistaken for the Red Rat Snake, also known as Corn Snake, and some water snakes. They Copperhead is only found in the panhandle and part of central FL in the state. Here is a pic of their range.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	B4072684-F989-4F61-AA6E-A2A475598DE1.jpeg
Views:	673
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	89643  
Closed Thread

Tags
black, small, harmful, house, fact

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.