Black Snakes

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The top one looks like a copperhead. They're venomous, but not aggressive and their venom is not deadly to humans (unless you're allergic, obviously). But because they -are- venomous, if you see it again, get in touch with the local wildlife folks and have them try and capture it. Do NOT try to capture it yourself.
It's a corn snake. Totally harmless.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadywood View Post
I was sitting in my lanai yesterday, when all of a sudden there was commotion in the hedges. I got up to see what was going on, and the family of thrushes that live in there came flying out. A few seconds later, a little 2' black snake slithered out, saw me, and instead of running the other way, he zoomed right past my dog towards me and then dove for cover in the Mexican Petunias next to the lanai door where I'd been standing a moment before. If I hadn't somehow levitated back inside the door, he'd have probably run over my foot.

It was weird. I've never seen birds be so afraid of such a little snake, or such little snake charge a human like that. He must just get a kick out of terrorizing his neighbors. I caught a good enough glimpse to be sure he wasn't poisonous, so I figure he must be a black racer, which we don't have in Texas. I hope he eats the giant cockroaches and leave the lizards alone. Some of them are practically pets. And I can't wait to see him pull that charging stunt on my wife. I'll be peeling her off the ceiling!

Snakes have a lot more personality than you'd think.

We used to have a big Texas rat snake that would hang out around our chicken coop back home, and swipe an egg every now and then. He got so tame I could nearly get close enough to pick him up. One evening I was locking up the coop and my favorite chicken was sitting on her roost making this weird low noise and squirming around like she didn't know what to do. That rat snake had his head under her wing, and was checking her out, like he was groping around looking for something. I grabbed his tail and he whipped around and reared back like he was going to bite, so I let him go and he just slithered off real slow, just to show me he wasn't the least bit scared. I'm not sure what the heck he was doing to my chicken, but I have a feeling it's illegal in most states!
WHOA That's quite the tale!
Old 05-28-2021, 06:56 AM
Location: Country Club Hills/Charlotte,NC/Concord,NC/Jacksonville,FL
Default Not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
Attachment 89634
Attachment 89635

I had both of these, the orange 1 on back lanai about 2 yrs ago
and black one last year in front wrapped around a planter near living room window
That is definitely not black racer, the head is way too big and the snake itself is too fat. Not sure about the orange snake could be a corn snake or copperhead
Old 05-28-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzgb1 View Post
I have only recently moved here about 2 months ago. Love it but yesterday saw a small Black snake scoot into my garage. Upon reading up on them they are not harmful and in fact good as they eat small rodents and insects. but my concern is I don't what them to get in my house any suggestions.
Keep your doors closed.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:30 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem007fl View Post
That is definitely not black racer, the head is way too big and the snake itself is too fat. Not sure about the orange snake could be a corn snake or copperhead
It looks like a black snake. The close up might just be making it look bigger than it actually is.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:43 AM

Catch it or scoot it outside
Old 05-28-2021, 09:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
I have only recently moved here about 2 months ago. Love it but yesterday saw a small Black snake scoot into my garage. Upon reading up on them they are not harmful and in fact good as they eat small rodents and insects. but my concern is I don't what them to get in my house any suggestions.
. I was told if you see snakes in or around your home you have a rodent problem. Yes the Black snakes are harmless, but to some people they’re creepy!
Old 05-28-2021, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

When I went to initial Green Beret training in 1961 they had us bite the heads of little snakes , which gave us to the rest of Fort Bragg the nickname snake eaters . Anyway the theory was that if you bit off the head of a poisonous snake because you had no knife it would be safe to eat. The real reason was just to screw with you . FYI it didn’t taste like chicken
Old 05-28-2021, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
When I went to initial Green Beret training in 1961 they had us bite the heads of little snakes , which gave us to the rest of Fort Bragg the nickname snake eaters . Anyway the theory was that if you bit off the head of a poisonous snake because you had no knife it would be safe to eat. The real reason was just to screw with you . FYI it didn’t taste like chicken
I was riding in Big Sky Montana with a rancher through some winter-wheat fields a dozen years ago. He suddenly stopped his horse and had me hold the reins. He hopped off, grabbed a rock, and threw it hard around 2 yards away from where he was standing. Then he approached that spot, picked up a stunned rattlesnake, twisted its head, and used a field knife to cut the tail off. He stuck the tail in his pocket and we continued our ride.

He kept the tails for good luck, he said. He's never been bitten by a snake.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:50 AM
Default Black snake activity

Quote:
I thought you’d all enjoy this wee video of a couple of Black Rat snakes making ‘whoopee’ in our garden on the Historic side…..I had never seen this activity between snakes before.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:53 AM

Looks as though one can’t post videos……pity, it was quite interesting and I believe a fairly unique piece of video.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:50 AM
Veteran member
Default snakes in garage

Quote:
I have had several black snakes in my garage. One I had run over by my car. The snake was flattened where the tire ran over him and you could see the tire tread outline on him but he was still alive! as I found out when I tried to pick him up with a stick to get him out.
I had another snake that got stuck in the sticky Catch Master trap I use for insects. I use one for rats only because they are larger. One time I went into the garage and on my sticky trap was a snake skin - no snake, just the skin. The snake got on it but was able to shed his skin and get away! I have never had a snake or even a lizard in the house.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
They also kill rattlers and cotton mouths. Ask hardware if there is a spray.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadywood View Post
I was sitting in my lanai yesterday, when all of a sudden there was commotion in the hedges. I got up to see what was going on, and the family of thrushes that live in there came flying out. A few seconds later, a little 2' black snake slithered out, saw me, and instead of running the other way, he zoomed right past my dog towards me and then dove for cover in the Mexican Petunias next to the lanai door where I'd been standing a moment before. If I hadn't somehow levitated back inside the door, he'd have probably run over my foot.

It was weird. I've never seen birds be so afraid of such a little snake, or such little snake charge a human like that. He must just get a kick out of terrorizing his neighbors. I caught a good enough glimpse to be sure he wasn't poisonous, so I figure he must be a black racer, which we don't have in Texas. I hope he eats the giant cockroaches and leave the lizards alone. Some of them are practically pets. And I can't wait to see him pull that charging stunt on my wife. I'll be peeling her off the ceiling!

Snakes have a lot more personality than you'd think.

We used to have a big Texas rat snake that would hang out around our chicken coop back home, and swipe an egg every now and then. He got so tame I could nearly get close enough to pick him up. One evening I was locking up the coop and my favorite chicken was sitting on her roost making this weird low noise and squirming around like she didn't know what to do. That rat snake had his head under her wing, and was checking her out, like he was groping around looking for something. I grabbed his tail and he whipped around and reared back like he was going to bite, so I let him go and he just slithered off real slow, just to show me he wasn't the least bit scared. I'm not sure what the heck he was doing to my chicken, but I have a feeling it's illegal in most states!
Animals have some strange and interesting behavior. Maybe they say that about us too!
Old 05-28-2021, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The top one looks like a copperhead. They're venomous, but not aggressive and their venom is not deadly to humans (unless you're allergic, obviously). But because they -are- venomous, if you see it again, get in touch with the local wildlife folks and have them try and capture it. Do NOT try to capture it yourself.
Most poisonous snakes have a wedge-shaped head because their fangs are to the rear of the head. Black snakes have small heads and that orange striped one SEEMED (?) to have a small head?
Closed Thread

Tags
black, small, harmful, house, fact

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.