Blackberry Festival...No blackberries

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
We had a lovely morning at the Wildwood farmers market. They had blackberries as well as vegtables and fruit (great peaches) at reasonable prices. A couple of miles west on 301 past the farmer's market you can pick blackberries for the next week or so and the good news is you don't have to bend over, they grow on trellises.
Did you get chigger bites Duffy's Mom? I always associate picking berries with chigger bites....in VERY uncomfortable places.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcneill View Post

Ok. So I just lied so you who missed out wouldnt feel too bad.
Bad Georgie! Off to confession I go!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Sage

Wow, a line out the door for Blackberries. What do they think they are, iPhones?

... oh wait, you meant the fruit, not the smart phone. NEVERMIND

-- Rosann RosannaP
Old 06-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Still saying penance....looks like it'll be awhile

Maybe next year
So, your canning comments got you in a jam and you were given a berry stiff penance for your seedly deed.
Preserves you ripe George!!! The Villages Florida

"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
So, your canning comments got you in a jam and you were given a berry stiff penance for your seedly deed.

You're way too crafty.....
Old 06-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Sage

Quote:

Old 06-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Veteran member
Default Members area

We got there about 2:30 about 30 vendors were broken down and getting ready to leave when inside the food was nothing to be nothing fancy why the members area was not opened up so that accommodate a larger crowd this was a showcase opportunity for them Very disappointing
Old 06-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:

hmmm...I'm thinking that some folks might be a little jelly-ous that I got cobblers and cheesecakes and ber(ries) Oh, my!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
hmmm...I'm thinking that some folks might be a little jelly-ous that I got cobblers and cheesecakes and ber(ries) Oh, my!
So maybe that pun was really stinky. Sorry. It's back to church for me and my odorous pun for a pew time out.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageshooter View Post
We got there about 2:30 about 30 vendors were broken down and getting ready to leave when inside the food was nothing to be nothing fancy why the members area was not opened up so that accommodate a larger crowd this was a showcase opportunity for them Very disappointing
The members area is for members and their guests only - sort of like Katie Belle's. A very large oval bar, some games, pool table room, Juke box type device, dance floor, maybe 20 banquet tables and chairs.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Veteran member
Default Open up show your club off!!!

I am very much aware of being the members and guest only area, however on special days like today when they had a huge crowd it gave them a chance to show off their facility unless there are something in there they don't want people to see like maybe illegal video poker games or other things? After yesterday I have no do desire or interest to return as a guest or even consider joining
Old 06-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Sage

We went to the blackberry festival at the American Legion as well. Fortunately, we were able to thread our way (legally!) past the long lines of cars (from all directions!) waiting to get in to park and parked in a vacant lot across 466 from the facility. Easy in, easy out. No police presence to help with traffic flow when we arrived around 9:45 but the sheriff's crew was there in force helping to move things along when we left. All the blackberry-related items were inside the building. Sandy was able to get a blackberry cobbler which she said was very good but that's when they announced they'd run out of the blackberries and would have a new supply arriving around 11-11:30. It was confusing getting into the building but a lady working there did come out to tell the new people coming in which way to go/what line to get in for the various things they might be looking for.

JMHO - I think the American Legion were completely caught off-guard by the turnout as this was their first year for the event. Hopefully they'll work to invoke some improvements for their next iteration. I think the traffic tie-ups to get in and out of their parking area are going to be unavoidable, though, as there is only one lane going in and one lane going out.

Bill
Old 06-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Gold member

Yes, they were overwhelmed. But, even on their first attempt, they should have had a sign outside the building to say what was going on inside.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageshooter View Post
I am very much aware of being the members and guest only area, however on special days like today when they had a huge crowd it gave them a chance to show off their facility unless there are something in there they don't want people to see like maybe illegal video poker games or other things? After yesterday I have no do desire or interest to return as a guest or even consider joining
It is too bad you feel that way. But it is a state law and is in effect in all of the states that I know of. If a non-member or a non-guest is caught buying drinks the Legion could lose its license and be fined lots of $$$$.

However, the Legion can rent its other facilities for public use.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Default Complaints

I don't understand all the complaints on this thread. Running out of blackberries, too crowded, etc., etc.
According to the article in the Daily Sun this morning, the festival was just plain wonderful!
How can this be????
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.