Old 11-13-2018, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,420 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleudeturquoise View Post
How does one block calls - Receiving 6 to 10 a day about
Pain relieving braces - diabetic supplies etc
Press 1 press 9
Here's one way.. Amazon.com: CPR V5000 Call Blocker - Block All Robocalls, Scam Calls, Unwanted Calls on Landline Phones. Block All Nuisance Calls at the Touch of A Button. Caller ID Service is Required For This Product To Work: Office Products

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 11-13-2018, 04:19 PM
fw102807

We use nomorobo

Stop robocalls and telemarketers with Nomorobo
Old 11-13-2018, 05:03 PM
Veteran member

We have Ooma so Nomorobo doesn't work on the $5 per month home phone plan. So we just turned off all the ringers and let everything go to voicemail. If it's not a robocall, they can leave a message. Our Panasonic phones have the option to block calls but robocallers keep changing numbers.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:39 PM
Sage

We've been getting calls in nearly rapid succession or at least 3 to 4 within about 10 minutes of one another. Each # is different. We screen ALL our calls but because we have CenturyLink...can't use the nomorobo app. Calls are a bit better now that the election is over. We've kept a land-line just because.......
Old 11-13-2018, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

That's an excellent device but if you have a possibility of getting any emergency calls from doctors, hospitals, emergency services, from elderly family members in group living or whatever be very wary of sending ALL unknown calls to voicemail. They often use blocked numbers or different numbers at different times of the day or night. My 91yr father was taken to the hospital in the middle of the night a year or so ago and I didn't know about it until until the next morning. I never thought about the downside of blanket call blocking. Fortunately I made it (4hr drive to S.FL) but not with much time to spare.

Those devices will whitelist (pass) specific numbers but that's often not enough under some circumstances.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:20 PM

We have a VOIP service that has a Do Not Disturb function and also supports a whitelist. We keep DND on permanently and have put the numbers of friends, family, doctors, etc. on the whitelist. So, when they call, they get right through. Everyone else goes to voicemail (without the phone even ringing). It works very well. The only time the phone rings is when it is someone we want to talk to. We use Voipo, but many VOIP providers offer similar functionality.
--
bc
Old 11-13-2018, 07:38 PM
Platinum member

nomorobo works but also google the brand name of your phone and click on blocking calls. You may have to block several numbers but it ends up to be worth it.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxfan View Post
We keep DND on permanently and have put the numbers of friends, family, doctors, etc. on the whitelist. So, when they call, they get right through. Everyone else goes to voicemail (without the phone even ringing).
--
bc

I had Voipo for many years. Great service. Was with them even before they went public. Problem is (with any "VM all calls except whitelist") services or hardware was when my father got very ill and was rushed to emergency room at 1am and I got calls from hospital on a number that I could never have known to whitelist it went to voicemail. There is always a possibility of emergency call from a not whitelisted number which is why I stopped doing that. Even if you have young family (young kids) and heaven forbid there is an accident if a third party tries to locate you you might never know. I learned my lesson the hard way so I am back to a not quite as good spam blocking service like NoMoRobo.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
We have Ooma so Nomorobo doesn't work on the $5 per month home phone plan. So we just turned off all the ringers and let everything go to voicemail. If it's not a robocall, they can leave a message. Our Panasonic phones have the option to block calls but robocallers keep changing numbers.
We're thinking of going to Ooma. We have CenturyLink so NoMoRobo doesn't work anyway. Are you happy with Ooma otherwise?
Old 11-14-2018, 05:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
We're thinking of going to Ooma. We have CenturyLink so NoMoRobo doesn't work anyway. Are you happy with Ooma otherwise?
Ooma works great and only costs $4.80 per month. I set it up so the Ooma box is in front of the router (modem -> Ooma -> router) and call quality is as good as a regular landline. Of course if internet goes out, Ooma goes out. But we have Tracfone ($7 per month) for backup and internet rarely goes out.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Press 1 press 9
So, you haven't said which company provides your phone service. And, many responses pertain only to a specific provider. So, why don't you call the customer service department at your provider?

Last edited by champion6; 11-14-2018 at 09:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-14-2018, 09:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Press 1 press 9
Very easy solution. Get rid of home line...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I had Voipo for many years. Great service. Was with them even before they went public. Problem is (with any "VM all calls except whitelist") services or hardware was when my father got very ill and was rushed to emergency room at 1am and I got calls from hospital on a number that I could never have known to whitelist it went to voicemail. There is always a possibility of emergency call from a not whitelisted number which is why I stopped doing that. Even if you have young family (young kids) and heaven forbid there is an accident if a third party tries to locate you you might never know. I learned my lesson the hard way so I am back to a not quite as good spam blocking service like NoMoRobo.
To guard against that I have voicemails emailed to me and have a notification set on my phone that goes off whenever I get an emailed message, but point taken, in an emergency when time is of the essence it could be a problem. In my case the likelihood of such a scenario is very low, so the small risk is worth the benefits (especially given the volume of nuisance calls we get).
--
bc
Closed Thread

Tags
press, calls, relieving, pain, day

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.