Blood, Sweat, & Tears Event

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-04-2019, 07:27 AM

Default Blood, Sweat, & Tears Event

We went to the BS&T concert Saturday 5PM show. I usually don't comment, but this time I am. It was a disappointing at best. Show kicked off with a solo act of a person who sang, did some photo shoots of golf stuff and talked about his up and coming show I May, I believe. I classified that whole deal as an "infomercial." He was good but he took about 30 minutes of the show. Then the band came out, consisting of 4 brass, 3 guitars, keyboard and drummer. Two of the guitar players sang also. They started to play, amps turned up, blasting, couldn't really hear what they were singing. Didn't matter anyway, because what they were playing was maybe blues, jazz, I couldn't tell, nothing that was recognizable to me. Nothing as they got into the concert that was to me, our BS&T's stuff. By the way, each of the band members did a solo to fill in the time. Finally, they played possibly, two numbers that I could say was BS&T tunes as I recalled. End of concert, all took a bow and exited. Audience as I could see didn't yell for more and got out as quickly as the band. Expensive concert, not even close to a being a tribute band that night.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonrich View Post
We went to the BS&T concert Saturday 5PM show. I usually don't comment, but this time I am. It was a disappointing at best. Show kicked off with a solo act of a person who sang, did some photo shoots of golf stuff and talked about his up and coming show I May, I believe. I classified that whole deal as an "infomercial." He was good but he took about 30 minutes of the show. Then the band came out, consisting of 4 brass, 3 guitars, keyboard and drummer. Two of the guitar players sang also. They started to play, amps turned up, blasting, couldn't really hear what they were singing. Didn't matter anyway, because what they were playing was maybe blues, jazz, I couldn't tell, nothing that was recognizable to me. Nothing as they got into the concert that was to me, our BS&T's stuff. By the way, each of the band members did a solo to fill in the time. Finally, they played possibly, two numbers that I could say was BS&T tunes as I recalled. End of concert, all took a bow and exited. Audience as I could see didn't yell for more and got out as quickly as the band. Expensive concert, not even close to a being a tribute band that night.
I wasn't as disappointed as you were. But last year's show was much better. The lead singer from last year was not there. Not sure what other members changed.

I enjoy the solo's, especially the brass section.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2019, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

Bo Bice was the lead singer for last year's show and it was nothing but hit after hit. This should teach the Entertainment Dept to quit booking the same shows year after year and find fresh acts instead...the are out there.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 03-04-2019, 09:17 AM

Went to last years show with Bo Bice, it was pretty good. Did not go this year because of lack of "front Man"....
Old 03-04-2019, 09:34 AM

On a different note, I would love to see Marshall Tucker, but without the Caldwell brothers it won't be the same. No one's fault, the brother's have been gone for a long time.
Steve
Old 03-04-2019, 12:18 PM

These older bands are a crap shoot. The musicians are old (like us), their voices are not as strong and often we're hoping they will sound like they did in a recording studio decades ago (or at least like the CD or streaming music we were listening to that day in preparation for the concert). I think it's great they are still touring but not all of them are worth the price of admission. I went to REO a few weeks ago and they are still good - but not great. They didn't play that long and Kevin Cronin can't hold the notes on some of their hits like he did years ago. Still, considering their age they were amazing and I had a great time.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
On a different note, I would love to see Marshall Tucker, but without the Caldwell brothers it won't be the same. No one's fault, the brother's have been gone for a long time.
Steve
It would be no different than seeing Lynyrd Skynyrd and it's one original member, guitarist Gary Rossington, drummer Artemus Pyle prefers to do his own thing. Basically that band ended in 1977 when the plane crashed.

Marshall Tucker ended in 1980 when Tommy Cadwell was killed and Toy Caldwell decided to quit, he died long after quitting in 1993. They had agreed to end the band, but Doug Gray decided to recruit all new members and he has kept the band going since 1980 and he handles most of the lead vocals. On youtube you can see Toy Caldwell play guitar and sing and he was great, but I saw them in 1985 in Atlanta and they put on a good show and I've seen them on Youtube and they are still very good.

I had thought about Blood, Sweat & Tears, but only because of Bo Bice, he sounded just like David Clayton Thomas the original vocalist. When I saw on his website he had quit after 5 years and a world tour, I knew I would skip this event.

I am going March 28th to see Starship, Mickey Thomas still sounds great on Youtube videos. They aren't the Airplane, but in the 80's they changed their name and became a more power-pop band and the girl vocalist Stephanie Calvert has an even better voice than Grace Slick.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:18 AM

Wish The Villages could get Brian Wilson (Beach Boys lead singer & writer) to come to The Sharon. He has a 12 member band of extremely talented musicians and along with Al Jardin (another original BB member) puts on a remarkable, first-class show of virtually all of the Beach Boy hits as well as the entire Pet Sounds album from 1969. If you ever have a chance to see him I would highly recommend. If you're a fan of their music it's money well spent.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 03-05-2019, 10:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
Wish The Villages could get Brian Wilson (Beach Boys lead singer & writer) to come to The Sharon. He has a 12 member band of extremely talented musicians and along with Al Jardin (another original BB member) puts on a remarkable, first-class show of virtually all of the Beach Boy hits as well as the entire Pet Sounds album from 1969 so he wouldn't have to tour. If you ever have a chance to see him I would highly recommend. If you're a fan of their music it's money well spent.
The Brian Wilson Beach Boys will be in Clearwater in May at Ruth Eckerd Hall, maybe AAA has a bus going? Did you go last night to the Sharon, the morning Sun has a nice article about the Mike Love Beach Boys. I've seen their recent videos on youtube and they're very good, I didn't go because tickets were $150 apiece. Besides Mike they also have Bruce Johnston who actually replaced Brian Wilson in '69 so he wouldn't have to tour. I really liked the songs that Carl Wilson sang, and he's been dead 20 years but the Asian drummer they have sings his parts and sounds just like him.

Maybe someone can give us a review from Sunday or Monday night.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Gold member

For us the BS&T show was mediocre at best. Sitting in the 1st row it was annoying to see one of the singers frequently reading, presumably the song words, from his iPad. Opening act was a joke. $60 for that show way over priced.

Unfortunately I researched a band after the show and found that the original drummer owns the band name. So maybe this should have been billed as a tribute band instead.

Tags
show, band, concert, stuff, sang