Blood, Sweat, & Tears Event

Blood, Sweat, & Tears Event

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-05-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The Brian Wilson Beach Boys will be in Clearwater in May at Ruth Eckerd Hall, maybe AAA has a bus going? Did you go last night to the Sharon, the morning Sun has a nice article about the Mike Love Beach Boys. I've seen their recent videos on youtube and they're very good, I didn't go because tickets were $150 apiece. Besides Mike they also have Bruce Johnston who actually replaced Brian Wilson in '69 so he wouldn't have to tour. I really liked the songs that Carl Wilson sang, and he's been dead 20 years but the Asian drummer they have sings his parts and sounds just like him.

Maybe someone can give us a review from Sunday or Monday night.

No, didn't see Mike Love as we're not Villagers quite yet. Will finally be retiring in May & buying there as soon as our house sells here in B'ham, AL. Honestly never been a fan of Mike Love since he's gone out of his way a few times to publicly diss Brian, who I'll always believe is a musical genius. We saw Brian & his band here in B'ham two years ago and tickets were only $75. No way I'd pay $150 to see M. Love. Al Jardine's son Matt does a great job of singing all the high notes that Brian can't hit anymore.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL

Old 03-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Gold member

The BS&T part was OK for me, since I was not a big fan of the original group anyway. I thought the promotional intro was a horrible waste.

Manage the exceptions, the rest will take care of itself.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2019, 10:13 PM

This is only my opinion but as background I started listening to BS&T right around their first album “Child is Father To Man.” Sure I would like to see guys like Al Kooper, David Clayton Thomas and Randy Brecker in the band, but that was then and this is now. I loved every song with the exception of Go Down Gambling and possibly Lucretia McEvil but I never liked those tunes even when the original band did them. Everything else I thought was great, the band was tight the brass players were excellent. I started listening to BST tunes from my library about a month before the concert and other than the vocals not by the original singers, the playing was much the same probably even a little better than the originals. I was however dissappointed that the pianist organist was not using a Hammond B or C3 since there is nothing like the original clone wheel organ. The Nord he was using is respectable but it will never be a Hammond.

By the way BST’s roots were originally jazz and blues based. Al Kooper one of the original members came to BST after working with a band called the Blues Project.

they could have done without the opening act.

Last edited by B-flat; 03-05-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
...Al Jardine's son Matt does a great job of singing all the high notes that Brian can't hit anymore.
I meant the songs that Carl Wilson sang lead on originally and Brian never did sing, such as "Darlin" "I Can Hear Music" and "Wild Honey".

The Beach Boys - Darlin (live 1980) - YouTube

Beach Boys - I can hear music 1969 - YouTube

Wild Honey (Remastered) - YouTube

I remember buying the 1972 album "Surfs Up" at the PX at Ft. Rucker Alabama when it was released and I just loved that song Carl sang, "Long Promised Road", it had sort of a Doors vibe for me.

Carl Wilson - Long Promised Road - YouTube

The drummer in the Mike Love group sings Carl's songs and sounds just like him. It's John Cowsill of the Cowsill family, he's been with the Beach Boys since 2000, initially on keyboards and drummer since 2008.

John Cowsill - Darlin' with the Beach Boys - YouTube

Last edited by John_W; 03-06-2019 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added Cowsill info
Old 03-06-2019, 10:38 AM

BS&T.. nothing like the show when Bo Bice was with them.. this show was horrible.. and Roy Firestone?? what the hell talent does he have? and appearing as the opening act for a rock band.. best part he is actually doing his own show in May.. I wonder if BS&T will open for him
Old 03-08-2019, 06:47 AM

Maybe I'm easy to please, but I truly enjoyed this show.

Rollie
Old 03-08-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
BS&T.. nothing like the show when Bo Bice was with them.. this show was horrible.. and Roy Firestone?? what the hell talent does he have? and appearing as the opening act for a rock band.. best part he is actually doing his own show in May.. I wonder if BS&T will open for him
I agree the worst concert I have seen in the Villages in the 2 years I have been here. They charged twice as much as most shows at the Savanah center and you got about a half hour of BST the rest filler. The opening act was plain crap and would like to see how many tickets they sell for his show.

Tags
show, band, concert, stuff, sang